Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:03 PM

433 posts, read 1,929,669 times

Advertisements

Sorry, last question. We want to drive to Mexico City to visit our family for the month of July. How far a drive is it? If no one nows to Mexico CIty, at least how far is it to Monterrey? Are there really long lines at the borders at certain times of the day or certain days of the week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 04:56 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,266,413 times
Default Route also matters

You may also inquire as to the best route from Houston. 'Not to worry you, but some routes are "safer" than others.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:53 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,286,774 times
That sounds like a very scary thing to do given the current situation in Mexico. Airfare is really cheap right now esp to mexico.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:27 PM

102 posts, read 326,177 times
Take a really cheap car that you don't mind ruining with the horrible gas you'll get down there.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:57 AM

433 posts, read 1,929,669 times
The gas is fine, Mexico produces gas and exports a lot of it to the US, so I'm not worried about that. We're bringing our 2006 Honda Odyssey, and we'll be fine with that. THe current situation, I am thinking you mean swine flu, is under control. There are a lot of other flus that are worse (not sure why the media is so hyped on that one).

Definitely I am interested in which routes are safer. I have found the toll roads (cuotas) are always clean, better quality that then US, and very safe. I am just curious if anyone know how long it is to Monterrey or ot MExico City from Houston.... I would think SOMEONE has driven this before!?

Old 05-31-2009, 01:01 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,347 times
I've gone to Monterrey three different way. It took about 9 hours driving, including the border delay but this was about 12 years ago, probably takes longer with stricter conditions. Also, make sure you bring passports, I only had birth certificate and had to bribe a guy to let me through. Take the tollways as free roads are full of very poor condition, very slow trucks that clog up the way and make for idiot passers coming at you head on from the other direction.

However, much better to take car to McAllen and ride nice air-conned Mercedes bus which even included a movie like an airliner! We rented a car very cheaply including driver at the bus station.

Third, time we just flew and rented a SUV, by far the easiest but not the cheapest. Just depends on how much time you have and if you want to stop anywhere on the way. I was impressed by Hertz, as we took the SUV offroad and blew out a tire (probably against the contract's rules) and they still rescued us and brought a new tire (we road to a pave road on the rim).

Old 05-31-2009, 01:09 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
I would think SOMEONE has driven this before!?
Not really...because most of us are either not stupid enough or we're not experienced enough to do it.

No offense...but I hope you're the latter, and not the former. Good luck!

P.S. The "current situation" isn't the swine flu, it's the bloody violence that's going on down there. Might want to take a look into that before popping in your Honda Odyssey and becoming a target.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:15 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,286,774 times
I have a friend that has rented a car in Cozumel and driven to a little resort they visit every year. Last year they were stopped by "police" and were told to hand over all of their cash or they would be jailed. They had two young children with them. the cop was not pleased with just $400 and searched her purse and luggage for more.
Good Luck! you'll need it

Old 05-31-2009, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,787 times
Hi! we go to Monterrey all the time (at least three or four times a year) and it usually takes anywhere from 8-10 hours from Houston to Monterrey. You can either take 59 South all the way, which is a bit slower since you go through many small towns in Texas and you would have to slow down according to their speed limits AND the lack of multiple lanes can suck sometimes. Being stuck behind an 18-wheeler sucks unless you're willing to risk it and pass them up. OR you can go through I-10 to San Antonio then go I-35 South. This route is somewhat better because of the constant speed limit BUT there is traffic in both Houston and San Antonio, so you might be delayed. Another thing is that there are more cops :S

Either or, they both take you to Laredo. The crossing from the US to Mexico shouldn't be too bad unless you have to get a permit, which can take about an hour (sometimes) but if you're a Mexican national, just have your passport or birth certificate with you and drive right on into Mexico. The long lines and stuff is when you are COMING back to the US, NOT leaving the US. OH and another thing is that if you are going to Monterrey, I would HIGHLY suggest to take the PAY highway, yes it might be $20 or $30 bucks (dollars) on tolls but the road is a whole lot better paved and there are some rest stops.

As far as how long it takes from here to MTY, I'd say 9 hours max. From here to Mexico city, I don't have a clue, lol. Hope it helps

Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,460 times
Just a reminder, the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative goes into full effect today. You will need to make sure you have proper identification to get back into the US. Just a birth certificate and drivers license is no longer acceptable.

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston