Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 01:35 PM

302 posts, read 955,128 times

Advertisements

Just a little bit off topic... Stay AWAY from that Kids r Kids... I have posted in several website what a horrible place it is... We live 2 blocks from it on the south side and south it was nice and convenient too... wrong! Now we drive to a much better daycare by La Centerra (My Place) We have to drive to 99 to go to work anyways, so it's not out of the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall Coach View Post
I considered King Lakes too. I even drove by there again recently to look at it more closely. I really like the location of it because I have a little one and the daycare I'm considering is right there at the exit. Then she would transition from there to the elementary school right across the street. Very convenient, but out of those two communities, I like PMR better. It will have an elementary school on site in a few years as well so no big deal. After starting out with more than half a dozen options, I've pretty much decided at this point that it's going to either be Cinco or Pine Mill for me for what it's worth. I drove through a few sections of Cinco just yesterday trying to finalize my decision. I was more or less trying to convince myself that the name is worth the extra HOA fees and price per square foot to live in the exact same area.

I don't know a tremendous amount about Westin Homes, but my wife is a big fan of their floorplans. We thought long and hard about building with them. In fact, we've looked at what seems like a hundred plans with like ten different builders and one of my favorites is still a Westin. We've been in several of there newly constructed homes and she hasn't been disappointed yet. Well actually that isn't true, she thought one of them was too small, but that was only once after being inside roughly eight different houses.

As far as their energy efficiency, I think part of the problem is the way they vent the attic because they do seem to do a lot of the same things that most of the other builders are doing in areas such as insulation for example. They use power attic vents, which kick on after the temperature in the attic reaches a high level and they run off of electricity. The fans suck the hot air out of the attic. Most other builders are using ridge vents these days and ridge vents provide a more natural and efficient way to ventilate the attic because they don't use electricity nor do they rely on a system that allows the temperature in the attic to reach these undesirable levels in the first place before activating. To be fair, there was a guy on here recently who bought a Westin and he says that the builder told him that ridge vents were not an option on their homes because of the way the roof is sloped and that their engineers believe the method that they utilize is the best option for the way their homes are built. This is just my opinion, but I don't think the lack of the Energy Star rating will affect your resale of the house much if at all. When I was looking for a house on HAR and having MLS listings sent to me by a realtor before deciding to build new, I don't ever recall seeing a home advertised with Energy Star. I see it as a plus, but I don't think most people would pass over a home in the neighborhood they want, with the right square footage, and at the right price because of that. To me it's just an additional selling point much like granite countertops, 42' cabinets, tile/wood floors, a pool, etc. instead of a deal breaker type of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 06:57 PM

222 posts, read 417,888 times
Any update on Kings Lake area now? We are considering to buy there. We liked the area better than Westheimer Lakes North and Silver Ranch. The rec center seemed kind of small, but I guess we'll compromise there.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:47 PM

675 posts, read 1,452,989 times
King Lakes is fine, but I believe if you want to buy you would have to do it soon as they are about to run out of lots. One thing I did notice is that Pulte homes is charging ridiculous lot premiums. On some of the last lots its $20k plus. Honestly, I see little difference from Silver Ranch. Silver Ranch will be adding another pool/rec center on the other side of Spring Green. The current area that is building is right across the street from Cinco Ranch Northwest although I think they may have sold that section out or are very close to (The Meritage/Brighton Homes side). I think David Weekly and Brighton's bigger product have some lots left.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:01 PM

I got the updated list from Pulte today. Yes, some lots which are more inside (not bordering Falcon Blvd.) indeed have lot premiums as high as 25K. Of the remaining (and there are very few), the cheapest was 16K :O

What do you think of the potential of this area? I am not sure what will happen beyond the North side of this community. If we can't get (or don't) get in here, we'll be looking towards Silver Ranch or Westheimer Lakes North.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:04 PM

I think the area is just fine but you'd get more bang for your buck in Silver Ranch, Hawks Landing for a comparable subdivision (same schools i.e. Woodcreek Jr, Tompkins High School). The thing I would be cautious about is the land that Mr. King owns (the land in front of King Lakes). He has refused to sell but once he does developers will be salivating at the idea of developing that tract. I would like to think it would be more residential BUT since this doesn't fall under deed restrictions it's fair game. It could turn into a gas station, or even worse...apartments. It's better to buy in a subdivision that is either landlocked or you know that it's zoned to residential. Feel free to PM if you have any additional questions. Best wishes!

Old 03-03-2014, 08:59 AM

Rip,
Thanks for taking the time out to respond. I don't understand which land you're referring to? On the map, I see everything built out. I also now realize that the north is being developed as Greenbusch estates with 400k+ homes. Are you referring to the slice of land between Cinco Ranch and King Lakes?

Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 PM

Have you ever noticed that old house right next to the Emerald Homes development? That is still privately owned. It's east of Tompkins High School. It's at the intersection of Falcon Landing and Gaston.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:23 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip808 View Post
Have you ever noticed that old house right next to the Emerald Homes development? That is still privately owned. It's east of Tompkins High School. It's at the intersection of Falcon Landing and Gaston.
That belongs to the development, Mr Marshall sold the house and land to DR Horton

Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,972,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slbnoob View Post
I got the updated list from Pulte today. Yes, some lots which are more inside (not bordering Falcon Blvd.) indeed have lot premiums as high as 25K. Of the remaining (and there are very few), the cheapest was 16K :O

What do you think of the potential of this area? I am not sure what will happen beyond the North side of this community. If we can't get (or don't) get in here, we'll be looking towards Silver Ranch or Westheimer Lakes North.
Sounds like you did your research. You know the potential is huge. What's your hesitation?
In my experience. That whole area grew exponentially, Since 2009. It grew faster and bigger than anticipated.

If you find something you like, you need to act on it. The closer we get to summer, the hotter the price, you ll be fighting for a house.

Good luck

Old 05-04-2014, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 970 times
Thumbs down Dont Waste Your Money

Ok Here is the truth. I have been in a Pulte home in King Lakes for 3 years. First, the quality of these homes is absolutely horrible. I have had to replace my coil in my HVAC unit (2500), they refused to address drainage issues Ive had because I was past my one year, however, I had an empty lot next to me and had no issues during my warranty time. When i called they came out and denied my claim even though I was at month 13 and the house next to me had just been completed. So now one side of my yard wont grow grass because when everyone around me runs their sprinklers, it drains to one side of my house. I had cracks in my facade at 14 months they refused to fix. My doorbell wont work, they refuse to fix it (again) because I am out of warranty which makes tons of sense. My home failed an inspection that I requested by a third party after 11 months. Main issue, roof. Pulte said I chose the 2 year option and i should have upgraded. Thing is, on my home, upgrading the roof was not an option. Also, a two year roof? Great value there. \ Every roof in this neighborhood will need to be replaced at the first sign of 30+ mph winds or hail. One of my neighbors had to spend 2000 bringing their home up to code electrically when they sold after 2 years. Pulte does their own inspections at the completion of construction, they don't use independents. Long story short this is now a rental neighborhood. Sure there are nice houses from 250+ but the issues I listed above are present in those as well. You can do better than king lakes, especially with all the growth lately. Just my 50 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston