Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,020,443 times

Advertisements

GREAT pictures!!!!

you would NOT believe how tickled i was to recognize Fitzgerald's, although like ahzzie, i really don't recall having seen it during the day before......

and i've been gone for coming on 23 years now........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 08:47 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,543,784 times
My personal favorite of the Fitzgerald's shots is the one where it's in the background of the "Say No to Incompatible Structures" sign and it shows Fitz's is right next to a couple of houses. Only in Houston.

So, are we ready for the next one?

Old 06-08-2009, 09:31 AM

687 posts, read 2,127,631 times
Great pics, as usual! I have to spread reps around before i can give you another one. When and where is your next photo tour?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:41 PM

9,520 posts, read 16,501,246 times
I liked the pictures. Im wondering the trails where the people are walking and jogging, are those all over Houston on rather just a particular neighborhood?

Old 06-08-2009, 04:01 PM

419 posts, read 906,595 times
Excellent Photos....I remember the Heights well. You captured some great shots. Thanks!!

Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,333 times
Wow! Houston has changed a lot (looks like for the better) since I left for the last time in 1982. Seems like an entirely different city though still alarmingly familiar. I was particularly impressed by so many bike riders. Back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, Houston was hell for bicyclists. You couldn't make it more than a mile without some toothless yahoo lobbing a beer can at you or trying to run you into a ditch.

I was raised in Houston and though most of my memories were good, riding a bike was a harrowing experience at best. I do miss the sunshine. One of the best parts of the Gulf coast is it's lack of mountains! Most people seem to like mountains but those people usually aren't riding a bike.

While looking at those pics I could smell the smells and feel the warm sun on my face as it sank from the sky. Here the fog rolls in in late afternoon so seeing the sun set (or rise) or even stars is a rare thing. Many times I feel homesick but then the image of fist fights with ol' toothless and the sensation of beer cans hitting me in the back come the forefront of my thoughts and the homesickness fades. I'm too old to be getting into fist fights. My family keeps telling me that the place has changed a lot but I wonder if it's finally become the city I wished it was back when I was young?

BTW, I was born in Heights Hospital.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:32 PM

663 posts, read 2,262,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Wow! Houston has changed a lot (looks like for the better) since I left for the last time in 1982. Seems like an entirely different city though still alarmingly familiar. I was particularly impressed by so many bike riders. Back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, Houston was hell for bicyclists. You couldn't make it more than a mile without some toothless yahoo lobbing a beer can at you or trying to run you into a ditch.

I was raised in Houston and though most of my memories were good, riding a bike was a harrowing experience at best. I do miss the sunshine. One of the best parts of the Gulf coast is it's lack of mountains! Most people seem to like mountains but those people usually aren't riding a bike.

While looking at those pics I could smell the smells and feel the warm sun on my face as it sank from the sky. Here the fog rolls in in late afternoon so seeing the sun set (or rise) or even stars is a rare thing. Many times I feel homesick but then the image of fist fights with ol' toothless and the sensation of beer cans hitting me in the back come the forefront of my thoughts and the homesickness fades. I'm too old to be getting into fist fights. My family keeps telling me that the place has changed a lot but I wonder if it's finally become the city I wished it was back when I was young?

BTW, I was born in Heights Hospital.
I really think you'd enjoy it now if you came back.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:04 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,052,476 times
Very cool!!! Keep it up.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:07 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,543,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I liked the pictures. Im wondering the trails where the people are walking and jogging, are those all over Houston on rather just a particular neighborhood?
You're not going to see that in the median of every road like you see there along Heights Boulevard, but they're scattered around town. I'll probably be covering some others soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder
One of the best parts of the Gulf coast is it's lack of mountains! Most people seem to like mountains but those people usually aren't riding a bike.
Funny to read that. Now that I think about it, if I had a bunch of steep grades to climb there's no way I'd be covering as much ground as I do in some of these walks. Turns out after plotting it out on Google Maps I walked about 5.5 miles this time.

I got on the bus right in front of Heights Hospital to ride back downtown. And I didn't encounter any toothless yahoos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: