Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:54 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
Pedestrians always have priority on crosswalks when there is a green man showing.
Legally yes, but if you become roadkill because you assumed somebody sees you who didn't, it doesn't matter. So a little responsibility is on the pedestrian for their own safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 06:05 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,320,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Before you judge, do a commute to the Golden Triangle every day (6-ish AM and PM) and you'll find doing 80 is barely going with the flow of traffic, and doing the speed limit is putting yours and others' lives at risk. Or drive West TX where the speed limit is 80.
What does this have to do with judging? Nothing. It has to do with the law. I don't live in the Golden Triangle, so I really don't give a rat's behind how fast people drive there. I care about HOUSTON. ...and I'm not saying go so slow that you endanger others...but be reasonable...and 80 isn't reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Why the hell is the speed limit so low on the highway....I'll never get anywhere going those speeds.
You're young, so you don't understand (and I don't mean that rudely). When you have your own 3-year old and infant in the back seat of your car, you'll get it.

Last edited by Mom2Feebs; 06-12-2009 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 06-12-2009, 06:56 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
What does this have to do with judging? Nothing. It has to do with the law. I don't live in the Golden Triangle, so I really don't give a rat's behind how fast people drive there. I care about HOUSTON. ...and I'm not saying go so slow that you endanger others...but be reasonable...and 80 isn't reasonable.

You're young, so you don't understand (and I don't mean that rudely). When you have your own 3-year old and infant in the back seat of your car, you'll get it.
what does speeding have to do with age??? Driving around my 5 year old nephew and 1 year old cousin is good enough.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
I suggest people saying it's a mutual responsibility thing go and read the Texas drivers handbook- judging from what I read on here and see on the roads many Houston drivers have probably never even looked at it.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/DLhandbook.pdf (broken link)

Pedestrians always have priority on crosswalks when there is a green man showing.
well what about the ones who walk when the walking signal is off, because people do walk still???

Old 06-12-2009, 07:37 PM

912 posts, read 2,545,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Legally yes, but if you become roadkill because you assumed somebody sees you who didn't, it doesn't matter. So a little responsibility is on the pedestrian for their own safety.
Completely agree with that- there is no point being correct (and dead).

However I find it worrying when you seem to have drivers who don't realise that it's entirely *THEIR RESPONSIBILITY* in law to give way to pedestrians.

That leads to the scenario I described of the cellphone using jerkwad driver who nearly runs 3 people down and then has the gall to shout at them for being in his way- when they clearly have priority.

As I said try that on with me and it will be deployment of explosive powered pepper spray right in the face.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
what does speeding have to do with age??? Driving around my 5 year old nephew and 1 year old cousin is good enough.
It has to do with maturity. If you drive your 5 year old nephew and 1 year old cousin around, and still don't get what I'm talking about, it just makes my point even more valid.

When you're older and you have your own kids, you will be able to better see my point. That's all I'm saying.

The reason we have speed limits, jluke, is so people like you don't necessarily kill my kids and myself if you hit me at a high rate of speed. There is a distinct difference between accidents that happen at 80mph and accidents that happen at 60. You should have learned that in your driver education course.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
It has to do with maturity. If you drive your 5 year old nephew and 1 year old cousin around, and still don't get what I'm talking about, it just makes my point even more valid.

When you're older and you have your own kids, you will be able to better see my point. That's all I'm saying.

The reason we have speed limits, jluke, is so people like you don't necessarily kill my kids and myself if you hit me at a high rate of speed. There is a distinct difference between accidents that happen at 80mph and accidents that happen at 60. You should have learned that in your driver education course.
maturity??? Speeding is not what causes wrecks. Going 80 on the highway seems perfectly fine to me, the highway is not for cruisng and looking pretty. If i wanted to the do the speed limit, I wouldn't ride the highway.

If you can't keep up with the traffic, than you don't need to be driving.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
maturity??? Speeding is not what causes wrecks. Going 80 on the highway seems perfectly fine to me, the highway is not for cruisng and looking pretty. If i wanted to the do the speed limit, I wouldn't ride the highway.

If you can't keep up with the traffic, than you don't need to be driving.

*sigh* pointless...

Old 06-12-2009, 09:28 PM

190 posts, read 573,276 times
Quote:
There is a distinct difference between accidents that happen at 80mph and accidents that happen at 60.
True... 60mph = mortally wounded (may live to get to the hospital). 80 mph = dead on impact. With most of the tin can vehicles on the road today, 60 mph vs 80 mph is a mighty fine hair to split when it comes accidents. I'm not condoning speeding, just making an observation from responding to many accidents.

/former EMT

Old 06-12-2009, 09:57 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,875,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
And?

Main thing I ask of the cops is if they're gonna blow through an intersection, at least make sure nobody's coming, and put the lights on. You can complain, but what's the use?

If they're out stopping speeders, then all the better. Makes Midtown a safer place to walk.
Technically, when not behind a speeder, they aren't supposed to put the lights (or siren) on except to move through traffic, so if traffic is clear and they are able to move (not high-speed chase move, but move at a good clip) they do so without lights or sirens. However, traffic congestion, lights, etc. then they put the lights on to get through. I've also seen them going along smoothly to wherever they were called to and as they approach an intersection, turn on the lights to allow motorists to know they are going through the intersection, and then turn lights off after they move safely through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: