Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:56 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times

Advertisements

Are there any decent neighborhoods East or SE Houston? When I lived in Houston, we lived in the NE suburbs (Atascocita) but I attended San Jacinto College on Uvalde and back in 1996, there was not much between Humble and Channelview. I used to drive on Beltway 8 for 30 minutes to Channelview and nothing but woods. I never liked that side of the city anyways, to me it always seemed to be ugly, low income and very industrial. Anyways, I was just wondering if there are any decent areas between Humble and Channelview going east/south on Beltway 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 AM

298 posts, read 954,942 times
I've lived in Gulfgate and I am a fan of Eastwood, but nothing that far out...

It's hit or miss most of the time - one thing to look out for is an active neighborhood association that pays attention to its community and deed restrictions.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Gulfgate is pretty junky; bring your Espanol and if you go shopping remember to cut in front of all the gringos @ the checkout line. There are very nice pockets within the inner SE side like Eastwood but they are mainly surrounded by a lot of nearby dilapidation. Going farther out, parts of Pasadena look continuously O.K. (believe it or not) as long as you stay south of Spencer (roughly speaking), away from the plants. Space Center Blvd between Fairmont and Genoa Red Bluff is almost as nice as homes in Clear Lake but they are 100% lacking in amenities you can walk / bike to and the street has some bad flooding issues like much of Pasadena. Keep going further south past Ellington Field and you're in Clear Lake (literally if you go far enough).

Old 06-11-2009, 11:26 AM

^Yeah, I lived in Santa Rosa and I left after a year. I would have lived in Glenbrook if I was in the market to buy. The problem with some of the areas around there is that the neighborhood associations hold little weight with the neighborhood, and oftentimes deed restrictions lapse and are not renewed. Add a contingent of lazy homeowners/renters, and you end up with deferred or no home maintenance, junky additions/improvements, and cars parked all over the front yard.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:43 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Gulfgate is pretty junky; bring your Espanol and if you go shopping remember to cut in front of all the gringos @ the checkout line. There are very nice pockets within the inner SE side like Eastwood but they are mainly surrounded by a lot of nearby dilapidation. Going farther out, parts of Pasadena look continuously O.K. (believe it or not) as long as you stay south of Spencer (roughly speaking), away from the plants. Space Center Blvd between Fairmont and Genoa Red Bluff is almost as nice as homes in Clear Lake but they are 100% lacking in amenities you can walk / bike to and the street has some bad flooding issues like much of Pasadena. Keep going further south past Ellington Field and you're in Clear Lake (literally if you go far enough).

What this guy said.

The further you get away from that clusterfvck of used car lots on Spencer, you get into better neighborhoods.

I'm moving in with the aunt and uncle and they live in a solid looking neighborhood over between Telehone/Bellfort and Broadway/Bellfort. It is a little less pricey for me than letting the brother rack up $200 in late fees for himself by walking his half of the rent in 15 days late every month over across from San Jac Central.

Even my old neighborhood across from Forest Park Lawndale Cemetery (other than the house I lived in) has seemed to shape up since I left. You just have to keep your eyes peeled.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:45 AM

^Sounds like Glenbrook Valley - midcentury modern heaven!

Old 06-11-2009, 02:18 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
South East Houston/ City of South Houston sucks. Just tell it like it is. It's become a ghetto. I guess you can still find some decent places in East Houston, but don't ask me where that would be.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:39 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
I'm moving in with the aunt and uncle and they live in a solid looking neighborhood over between Telehone/Bellfort and Broadway/Bellfort. It is a little less pricey for me than letting the brother rack up $200 in late fees for himself by walking his half of the rent in 15 days late every month over across from San Jac Central.

That's a very rough part of town. I remember stopping by that area a couple times back in the day and there were bums sleeping in the 100 degree heat in a parking lot of an abandoned building on Bellfort, with empty booze bottles scattered around. This other guy I worked with at the time was shot at (missed) inside a conveinence store during a robbery. That area easily rivals the roughest parts of the SW side for **** going down. I haven't been out there in several months but I doubt it has changed. The only thing positive about this part of the SE side is the great Mexican food you can score for cheap.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:41 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
If you are talking about along BLTWY 8 between Humble and Channelview try Summerwood.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:17 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,833,187 times
There are a number of great choices over there that most people do not know about.

Glenbrook Valley of course, it got mentioned in Nancy Sarnoff's column last Sunday, referencing the ongoing work to make it Texas' first post WWII historic district. There area a couple of nice areas around it like Garden Villas, which has great trees that canopy the streets.

Across the freeway there is Meadowbrook Freeway which also has some nice homes.

Closer in there is of course Eastwood, Idylwood, Houston Country Club Place, and University Oaks as your more popular choices.

If you do a search on here for those subdivision names, you will come up with some pics and more info.

Eastwood | Houston, Texas | 77023

Idylwood Civic Club + Houston, Texas - Welcome to Idylwood

Glenbrook Valley : Houston Texas Neighborhood Information & Events

http://www.glenbrookvalley.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston