Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 02:21 PM

61 posts, read 142,159 times

Advertisements

Hello Houston!
Just wanted to say Hello & share my experience with you. Three weeks ago my wife and I went to Houston to visit a friend of ours living in spring. We Stayed at the JW Marriott which was very nice, we should of stayed closer to spring but it was nice to do some driving and see the area. We were very excited but I have to admit I was looking for the negatives, we went on about 10 showings in spring [ champion forest area ] and my wife went crazy! The people were very friendly,helpful & everything was CLEAN [ love that there wasn't any sidewalks ] . We came home to Staten Island NEW YORK and are still in a state of depression. I have a few years [ 3 - 4 ] till I retire here but the first chance we have we will be moving there. We will be coming back with the kids next year { A working vacation...LOL } to show them the difference & how nice it is There.

we will also be looking in the woodlands area, didn't get a chance to go there but will with the kids, Alot of blogger's all say Go to the woodlands....

P.S: the only negative I found was that there wasn't many GHI doctors close to the area { Spring } and don't want to go out of pocket for coverage.

But I have a little time to work it out. oooh, I forgot, Staten Island / New York.....SU*KS IMO

Take Care & GOD BLESS YOU!!!

Bueller
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 02:25 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
I grew up in SI (Westerleigh) and I couldn't agree with you more on how different it is! I do prefer the Houston area to SI but I miss some things about its proximity to NYC, our family and of course, pizza at Denino's.

Glad you had a nice experience while you were visiting.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:37 PM

We are from west Brighten and the neighborhood has gone to Pot! we had our house on the market for about 6 months and were looking into houses in westerleigh, sunset hill for about 550,000 about 1700 sq ft and I have to gut a kitchen & bathroom. After going to Houston and looking at houses from 300,000 to 400,000 at about 4500 to 6400 sq ft we came home and pulled the sign and are holding here till retirement. They couldn't give me a house here now. We are so tainted here, everyone has a attitude, the streets are filthy and there is graffiti everywhere. all the kids have there pants hanging off their AS$ There is no PRIDE here like in texas. But I will miss Denino's , we go there all the time.

Bueller

Old 06-12-2009, 02:50 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller427 View Post
We are from west Brighten and the neighborhood has gone to Pot! we had our house on the market for about 6 months and were looking into houses in westerleigh, sunset hill for about 550,000 about 1700 sq ft and I have to gut a kitchen & bathroom. After going to Houston and looking at houses from 300,000 to 400,000 at about 4500 to 6400 sq ft we came home and pulled the sign and are holding here till retirement. They couldn't give me a house here now. We are so tainted here, everyone has a attitude, the streets are filthy and there is graffiti everywhere. all the kids have there pants hanging off their AS$ There is no PRIDE here like in texas. But I will miss Denino's , we go there all the time.

Bueller
We have graffiti and low slung jeans here too, but it's just less conspicuous in the areas of town you were in.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:05 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller427 View Post

Bueller
SI has changed a lot since I grew up there in the early 70s. It's just not the same anymore. I have to admit that every time I go back, I usually end up in a foul mood - whether driving around or shopping - because there is a general bad attitude - not everyone of course, but a lot of the newcomers & younger population seem to be that way. Sad.

WOW! I had no idea that houses were going for that in Westerleigh. Where is Sunset Hill? I keep telling my parents to get themselves down here already!

TTT is right though - you'll see the negative aspects of SI here as well but in the areas in which you were visiting definitely not as prevalent.

BTW - we are currently leasing up in The Woodlands but moving down to the Sugar Land area.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
We have graffiti and low slung jeans here too, but it's just less conspicuous in the areas of town you were in.
That's why I guess I liked the area alot.

Here on S.I it's everywhere. Alot of our reasoning for the move is quality of life and Cost of living. I can get by alot better in texas then here. Their raising every tax you can think of here.

Quote:
Where is Sunset Hill?
by the staten island zoo.

how is the woodlands? as nice as everyone has said on here?

Old 06-12-2009, 03:27 PM

125 posts, read 614,951 times
All I can say is WELCOME TO TEXAS YA'LL!!!

Old 06-12-2009, 04:09 PM

THANKS!!! My wife keeps telling me " I wish we can go now" and I agree with her but need to go down with a pension to be comfortable. it will come quick!!! CAN"T WAIT!!!!

Bueller

Old 06-12-2009, 04:18 PM

336 posts, read 1,295,933 times
I'm from New Jersey and just waiting for the housing market to get better so I can make my move to Texas. I'm looking at Cypress and Tomball.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:27 PM

those are other area's we are interested in as well, everyone say;s go northwest of I 45 honestly, I would leave today if I could. I just hope the house prices stay pretty much the same as now if they go higher I'm sure our's will as well. either way I"M OUTER HERE!!

Bueller
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston