Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:08 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times

Advertisements

I've seen a couple Covenant House kid fights in the lot behind Jack In The Box along Yoakum, but nothing more serious than that. Same stuff goes on in every middle/high school. I've met some of the kids that come through there; some are punks but some are trying to better themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 03:32 PM

298 posts, read 950,248 times
^I agree...though I've seen a lot of stuff go down around there when I worked at the book store in another life.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:51 AM

6 posts, read 19,853 times
Once again, thanks! I believe we are making the best choice for the two of us....a diverse, vibrant, urban community.

TXKid.....I do appreciate your insights, but don't appreciate the insinuation that I may be close minded. I just wanted to head off any individuals who would jump in w/ the "do you know what area that is?!?!?!?" comments. When we mentioned the area to some people who work w/ my husband, that's exactly what we got...along w/ a good amount of snickering....I just wanted to preclude any of that right off the bat. Additionally, the fact remains I'm not from the area and even my gay best friend thought I should ask around before jumping feet first into a neighborhood, since we're really taking a shot in the dark. While I've certainly lived in predominantly gay/straight/black/white AND/OR asian neighborhoods before, I've also lived in places where the neighborhood was so ABSOLUTELY EXLUSIVE to one demographic that it wasn't welcoming to those outside of that demo. I was hoping that wasn't the case here....it seems that has been confirmed and I'm excited join the community.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:01 AM

15,218 posts, read 30,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escantrell37 View Post
I've also lived in places where the neighborhood was so ABSOLUTELY EXLUSIVE to one demographic that it wasn't welcoming to those outside of that demo. I was hoping that wasn't the case here....it seems that has been confirmed and I'm excited join the community.
There really isn't anything like that here. Even older predominantly black areas like Fifth Ward have other elements mixed in there.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:03 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,831,861 times
Not the area around U of H....

Old 06-16-2009, 11:05 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,141,425 times
Quote:
When we mentioned the area to some people who work w/ my husband, that's exactly what we got...along w/ a good amount of snickering....
These people need to get out of their bubble and quit living in the 80's. Lease for 6 months and then buy a place when you find how much of a great area it is. I love the area east of Montrose Blvd, but get's more expensive.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:28 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,474,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
There really isn't anything like that here. Even older predominantly black areas like Fifth Ward have other elements mixed in there.
jref81, I think you may have briefly forgotten about the Denver Harbor section of the 5th Ward. That's pretty much a single demographic neighborhood, but I don't think it's the rainbow flag-waving demographic (the homographic, if you will).

Old 06-16-2009, 12:52 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,773,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
These people need to get out of their bubble and quit living in the 80's. Lease for 6 months and then buy a place when you find how much of a great area it is. I love the area east of Montrose Blvd, but get's more expensive.
I think there are a lot more of 'these people' than you think. I told some co-workers I was thinking of buying a place in Montrose, and they said its kind of 'the gay neighborhood'. My response was that I didnt think it was a requirement.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:38 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,474,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I think there are a lot more of 'these people' than you think. I told some co-workers I was thinking of buying a place in Montrose, and they said its kind of 'the gay neighborhood'. My response was that I didnt think it was a requirement.
It's the part of town with the highest concentration of gay bars and people wearing buttless blue jeans, but it doesn't qualify as a gay neighborhood any more than San Francisco qualifies as a gay city. It's got an earned reputation for having open-minded and tolerant residents, and some unfortunate individuals can't discern the difference between that and a full-blown (er... pun somewhat intended) single demographic gayborhood. In some parts of this city, even in this day and age, tolerance is a four letter word, and anything associated with that word is a liberal, commie, gay America-hater. Go figure.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:24 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,122,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
It's the part of town with the highest concentration of gay bars and people wearing buttless blue jeans, but it doesn't qualify as a gay neighborhood any more than San Francisco qualifies as a gay city. It's got an earned reputation for having open-minded and tolerant residents, and some unfortunate individuals can't discern the difference between that and a full-blown (er... pun somewhat intended) single demographic gayborhood. In some parts of this city, even in this day and age, tolerance is a four letter word, and anything associated with that word is a liberal, commie, gay America-hater. Go figure.
Also add to the fact that across the US, most exclusively/majority gay communities are long gone, due to the budding nature of tolerance in America and gentrification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: