Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:51 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,475,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
How's the view from your ivory tower?
How many elephants had to die to build a tower of ivory?! There must be some serious international law breakage goin' on! I hope Interpol doesn't monitor the internet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 03:21 PM

38 posts, read 112,884 times
Default RE: We need to get the HECK OUT OF HOUSTON!!!!!!!

Well I moved here in 2005 from Los Angeles so I had to deal with more scary people in California than here.

So for me its LESS STRESS than Im use to

At least in Texas you can shoot the bad guy unlike California. Example someone is stealing the radio out of your car you can shoot them from your house out the window! In California you cant shoot a intruder. You only can if they are trying to kill you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittytoes2006 View Post
OK, sorry I've not posted in some time, but we have just been so busy with work, trying to survive here and just life in general. Some of you might remember me. We moved here to Houston because of a job promotion for myself. Took the plunge and moved from a lovely country home (sold it....dumb move) to Houston and we have despised it since we got here. No offense to you folks who are happy here. It's not the country and I really didn't realize I would miss the country atmosphere so much. Of course all the things that have happened since we've been here have a lot to do with the feelings we have for this place....the 4th largest city in the U.S. We had not been here 2 months until an older teenager rode up to our home on his bicycle and stole our yard man's leaf blower, in broad daylight. I just happened to be looking out the front window when the guy reached over into the bed of the truck and lifted it out. He rides off down the street, me running behind him in my bathrobe and hair in a towel, yelling obscenities a "lady" should NEVER be heard saying. Called the police...there is nothing they can do. Two months later....Wal-Mart (Hwy.6 & Westpark) grocery shopping, another kid walks by my shopping cart and tries to take my purse. I had it locked in with the seatbelt so the dumb thing just kept tugging on the purse hoping it would eventually end up in his hands, he tries to take off and I trip him up and he falls head first into the freezer door handle and gets a bloody nose. I personally delivered him to the security at the front of the store. Called the police...there is nothing they can do because he's a juvenile. Well, they actually DID do something....the police called his parents and his dad came out and told the police to "lock his a_ _ up, there ain't nuttin I can do wid him no mo". They took him away. December 2, 2008, (Wal-Mart again) I was pulling out of the Wal-Mart parking lot onto Westpark, I turned into the lane closest to me. The very second I pulled into my lane a guy changes lanes and ended up right behind me. He's in a real big hurry (like everyone else seems to be), he's mad because I'm not going fast enough for his taste, he tries to ram my car. When that didn't work he moves to the front and tries to get me to ram HIS car. THAT didn't work. I just mind my own business going home with my groceries. I stop at a light, he pulls up beside me, gets out and slams the butt of a handgun into my passenger window. I thought he had shot me. Called the police....there's nothing they can do. Now get this, the police officer said, "How do we know it was even a real gun"? Also, "Now if he had SHOT the gun or done any real damage to your vehicle we might be able to do something". OK, now if this same thing happened to a police officer would they not consider that this was a real gun? HOW REAL DOES IT HAVE TO GET? It was a 9 mm handgun....I SAW IT!!!! So, with all that said, I hardly even leave my home anymore. I'm scared to even walk out to my own mailbox. There was a driveby shooting 2 weeks ago just 2 streets over from us. We even heard the gun. A 14-year-old boy was shot and killed and a 16-year-old was left for dead....never heard if he made it or not. It was over a pair of SNEAKERS!!!!

And if all of the above is not enough I hated the job I was transferred here to take. We live 12 miles from the office and it took me 45 minutes to get there. Long story short, I went back to my previous job duties (my choice) and now our landlord is selling the home we are leasing. He asked if we would consider buying it and we told him NO WAY....not in this neighborhood. Does anyone know of a better place for us to move to? Robert said we need to look up toward north or northeast....preferably a country setting. I am workinf from home again now and then after work I make dolls. PLEASE SOMEONE....we need to try to find something soon as he's got a for sale sign in the yard. We want something in the country preferably, even a doublewide mobile home as long as it is clean and nicel On a lake??? Anything as long as it's not just outrageously high in rent. We are paying $1000 here now and will NOT be able to do that again. It's ridiculous. I think this man is going to have a hard time selling this home with the area it is in. By the way, the police told me each time....it's not just THIS area, it's EVERYWHERE in the Houston area. HELP!!!! SOS!!!!!

Old 06-16-2009, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,450 times
Smile Move to the Westside

So sorry to hear about all your troubles. I would only suggest getting the Heck out of that are of Houston. You couldn't pay me enough to live near Westpark and Hiway 6...well, a million dollars a year might do it and then I would vacation almost all year!

I live in far west Houston, not that far from there. There are some good neighborhoods in this area and I have put 5 kids through Katy ISD schools. Both Wal-Marts in the area are pretty safe.

Even old Katy has a country charm if that is what you are looking for.

Best of luck!

Old 06-16-2009, 05:02 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,324,903 times
Just an observation: the OP has not been back to this thread, and in doing a search on her posts, I noticed she mentioned a move to Houston a few times over a year ago. In one thread dated March of 2008, she asked about property/land/house with a possible lake, and she was told exactly where she needed to live to get that--the responses were to look in the Crosby/Dayton area.

She was given plenty of advice, IMHO. Not sure why she didn't take any, and I'm equally baffled at why she's bitching about where she lives now.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:34 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,706,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Drats. And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
Lmao

Old 06-16-2009, 05:43 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,706,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Just an observation: the OP has not been back to this thread, and in doing a search on her posts, I noticed she mentioned a move to Houston a few times over a year ago. In one thread dated March of 2008, she asked about property/land/house with a possible lake, and she was told exactly where she needed to live to get that--the responses were to look in the Crosby/Dayton area.

She was given plenty of advice, IMHO. Not sure why she didn't take any, and I'm equally baffled at why she's bitching about where she lives now.
Only if I would have taken your advice and moved to Williamsburg settlement, I'd have a semi custom (kickerillo) home, mature trees, lower taxes, lower HOA and would be about 80k happier For some reason I love taking drives through that neighborhood.

Williamsburg Settlement is an older, established subdivision zoned to fabulous Winborn Elementary. It is a Kickerillo development. - Mom2Feebs (06-23-2007, 08:11 PM)

Old 06-16-2009, 05:49 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,781,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
How's the view from your ivory tower?
Please elaborate?

I used to work for M. D. Anderson, in the same building where the tobacco cessation treatment program was located. I saw all the harm done by smoking, so maybe I'm just a little more critical of that subject than the average person. That being said, we helped lots and lots of people quit, so I hope your comment wasn't intended to be rude.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:59 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,324,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Only if I would have taken your advice and moved to Williamsburg settlement, I'd have a semi custom (kickerillo) home, mature trees, lower taxes, lower HOA and would be about 80k happier For some reason I love taking drives through that neighborhood.

Williamsburg Settlement is an older, established subdivision zoned to fabulous Winborn Elementary. It is a Kickerillo development. - Mom2Feebs (06-23-2007, 08:11 PM)
usc, where did you end up? We're sort of in the same boat--we had the opportunity about 4 years ago to get into a great WS home at around $140K but we had to sell ours first. No contingency, sayeth the seller...so we were S.O.L.! That house has since turned around and sold for $165K and they did very little to it other than paint the outside!

More times I am wrong than right, but there's just some things ya get a gut feeling about. WS, the Life Forms homes in The Woodlands--they're about the only two things I've ever had that real gut feeling on. Unfortunately, I shared my feelings about Life Forms with another popular board a few years back, others chimed in with their admiration of them...turned into a multi-page thread... and the prices have steadily gone up, up, up...ah well! Oh wait, Royal Oaks in 77043, that's another one that I think will explode well into the $300s in the next couple of years...okay so 3 things.

That's all I got! LOL!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:01 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,382,347 times
I agree with you on the 77080 whole heartedly.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:46 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,193,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post

Exactly what I said way up in page two, or three. She also said, in one of her other threads, that she was carjacked. This was up somewhere around Dallas where she is from. She actually lists the city. She's also 49 years old, was offered (according to her) 3x her salary and 100% medical to move here, this is why I suggested that she think carefully about relocating to... again, in another thread, she states where that is... so do I in my other post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston