U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:26 AM

9 posts, read 27,042 times

Advertisements

Hello all-

We need some help on deciding where to live.

Presently, we are renting in Pearland-Silverlake but find the area lacks the "close to nature" appeal found in Kingwood. That said, my wife works at UofH (off I45) and has a commute of 30-45 minutes one way. We have been up in Kingwood and realise the commute will be longer but any ideas how much longer based on leaving for work at 08:00 and heading home at 17:30-18:00?

We are keen on Pearland - Silverlake or Kingwood 77339 areas. Any insight as to the pros and cons of each area would be appreciated?

We have found that there are quite number of homes on the market in the Kingwood area whereas in Pearland-Silverlake the houses are few and often sell quite quickly. Any idea why?

Finally, we have found mixed reviews on schools in the Kingwood area. Elementary, Middle and Junior High seem to mostly be Exemplary but Kingwood High (near Kingwood Dr) have mixed reviews. Some sites indicate exemplary while others show much lower.

We have found a couple houses in Kingwood priced 250-300 K which fills all of our requirements for a home but are concerned as to why the houses remain on the market for such a long period of time. This is important to us as we may stay in Houston for max 4 years after which we will return to Europe.

Seems like a no brainer to buy in Pearland, but we are trying to understand why Kingwood has such a long period for selling homes.

Look forward to your personal experiences of the area,
Brian
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 11:53 AM

2,639 posts, read 7,829,409 times
The homes in Kingwood are much older than Pearland that may be why they sit on the market. Also,Pearland is rapidly growing and it's proximity to the Med center and DT make it an appealing commute.
I loved living in Kingwood other than the fact I felt I didnt live in houston any longer. It was a major decision to go into "town" for a ballgame,dining or museum. Basically we just lived out there and never came in unless it was a special occasion.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:10 PM

thanks wetsres1.

how long did you live in kingwood?
how is the crime rate?

Old 06-15-2009, 01:18 PM

453 posts, read 1,511,827 times
I live in Silvercreek currently and I love this section....it is considered Manvel (77578), so don't forget to add that to your search when you look to buy homes in that price range around Silverlake. Silvercreek homes are a bit newer and the neighberhood feel is better imo.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:15 PM

6,882 posts, read 19,394,166 times
I think Silverlake and the area sell quickly because they're the closest cheapest thing near the Med Center, Houston's largest employer.

My question to you would be, do you like the forest, or do you like the prairie?

Old 06-15-2009, 02:58 PM

We like the Forest. The appeal of trails running through the community appeals to our outdoor nature. We love to cycle along trails and have found cycling around Pearland is somewhat risky with many drivers unmindful of cyclists and pedestrians.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:35 PM

2,639 posts, read 7,829,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briky69 View Post
thanks wetsres1.

how long did you live in kingwood?
how is the crime rate?
lived there two years in early 90's
No crime to speak of

Old 06-15-2009, 04:21 PM

4,900 posts, read 12,934,298 times
There is a lot of new construction right now in Kingwood which is why I think houses are selling slowly. You have houses built in the 80s that need updating trying to compete with builders who will sell you something brand new for not much more. Oakhurst alone must have something like 1000+ new houses built in the last couple years. Luckily they just opened up the last section so they should be built out in another 2 or 3 years. Personally I think houses in Kingwood are a great deal and they do not always last very long. I had my eye on 2 I was thinking of grabbing for rentals and they both sold within a couple weeks.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:23 PM

6,882 posts, read 19,394,166 times
Well, growing up in Kingwood, I absolutely LOVED the greenbelts (bike trails) and there are hundreds of miles of them winding through the woods. Overall, I'd go for Kingwood if you like trees and outdoor living is important, I think you'll be much happier. Do a search on the HAR.com map for "Far Northeast" in the dropdown menu (er, scrolling menu...whatever. LOL). That encompasses Kingwood.

The schools in Humble ISD in Kingwood should all be really good. I haven't seen one that was less than "Acceptable"; most are "Exemplary" or "Recognized". If you have any questions specifically about Kingwood let me know or I know there are at least two other members here that currently live in Kingwood. (Like chris_ut above)

Keep in mind that Kingwood is much larger than Silverlake. I imagine the competition among the home sales is harder, but don't let that discourage you. The only time I ever remember Kingwood having problems selling homes was back in the 80's, but so was the rest of Houston!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:53 PM

8,811 posts, read 18,644,404 times
I would go with Kingwood. Friends who live there have a GREAT commute into downtown since they widened and improved that freeway a couple of years ago. Only negative I see is that the nearest mall is Deerbrook which seems to be slowly about to decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>