Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,002 times

Advertisements

Hello guys!

We are 4 german med students and are going to work for four month at the med centre starting in august.

currently we are searching for a nice and safe place to stay, but we have no idea where to begin. we looked at a lot of apartments online but most of them seem to be unsafe and get really bad ratings...

we are looking for a 3bedroom for about 2,000$ max. or two 2bedroom apartments 1000$ each. We looked at holly hall and archstone apartments but we are not sure about safety?

maybe you can help us and recommend a nice apartment complex?

thx in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 05:04 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Perhaps in Midtown (and you can ride the light rail to work if you so desire). Camden Midtown would probably be in your price range and you be a little closer to some dining. nightclubs, nightlife, if that interests you. There are some other apts. in that area as well but the names escape me right now. If I think of them, I will post them. In the meantime, check out www.houstonmidtown.com

Old 06-15-2009, 05:11 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
I PM'ed you.

Does it have to be some are in particular? Inside the loop is probably the best choice for people your age. No idea where Archstone was. Was that in Montrose?
Holly Hall would be next to the Reliant Stadium it seems. I don't like that area, though.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:19 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
I used to live in Archstone, 8181 Fannin @ Holly Hall. Location is great for riding the light rail deeper into town, or walking across the street to Reliant events like the car show, rodeo, football, etc. Location was bad for everything else. Rodeo season the traffic around that place was horrendous and so were the diesel fumes from the buses that idle for hours around the complex. Anyway, the apartments were fairly nice on the outside and inside but nothing spectacular. We had mostly petty crime but some serious crime as well. This was 5 years ago, though. I doubt anything has changed. You may want to visit -- it used to be a great place for deathly ill people to live. There were other apartments and condos (some cheaper) with more students close by, on Knight Street.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:29 PM

I just don't like the area around the reliant stadium.

Maybe somewhere in Montrose/Midtown would probably the best pick.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,002 times
thank you for your replies!
i have have found these apartments located in midtown:
Arbor Place
Camden Midtown
Calais
Post Midtown
Camden City Centre

can you recommend any of these aps?

what about the medical center area? it seems that the prices there are much lower than in midtown?

Old 06-16-2009, 07:38 AM

Just checked out the Arbor Place apartments. Seems like they cost more that you want to spend on it. But they are nice. The other once are nice as well, but I can't check on the price right now.
Medical Center should not be much cheaper.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I like the midtown area better, I think the Calais are closest to the metrorail. Also check out AMLI properties.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:10 PM

28 posts, read 67,748 times
Are you here doing rotations or research? Being a med student myself (US though, not German ) I know being close to the hospital is key if you're doing clinical externships. I don't have much experience with either of the complexes you mention, but IMHO the Holly Hall area is not the greatest especially for people who may be in and out at later or earlier hours.

Have you tried looking at the Favrot Tower Apartments that are inside the medical center? I have friends that stayed there for a few months while doing research at MD Anderson. I'm not sure how much they cost but it'll be close to all the hospitals you'd rotate through. It would also put you right on the rail and several bus stops.

I'd also recommend the Greenbriar, at the corner of Greenbriar and Braeswood. I don't know if their prices have gone up in the past several years since I've been gone but in college a lot of my friends stayed there and paid around that much. The area is fairly safe and is right on a rail stop taking you straight to the medical center.

Perhaps you could ask your exchange program if they offer any kind of deal or housing suggestions?

Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
I think Camden is one or two blocks closer to light rail. Camden is nice, Calais is nice and Post Midtown is nice too. I don't like the Med Center area as well. Doesn't feel as safe - zero nightlife (it's a Med Center).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: