Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 04:54 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,766,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
can you give an example of these apartment complexes? and can you find out if they ban people from NOLA/Mexico or if they impose 'super strict rules' that only a rare few could 'qualify'
LOL, they can't ban people from those areas, but most complexes nowadays not only perform a rental history check, but they perform a credit check. Also, many of them won't rent to residents with a felony record and misdemeanor applicants must be approved by a supervisor.

but I stand by my point, you can find ok apartments under 600k in good areas.

saying everything under 600 is dangerous is just stupid.

unless you are talking about 2 and 3 bedroom apartments. I have seen 3 bedroom apartments in Fondren and airline going for 550 a month.

you must be above average then because the average rent in most of Houston is about 600.

averages for 1bedroom
Galleria- $550
West Side $470
Inner Loop $550
SW $420
NW $480
NE $450
SE $480

The high rent average for
SW is 560
it is about 650 in the NE and NW.
http://finditapartments.com/average-...houston-tx.htm
yeah the High end apartments in the inner loop are 900 and above, but you don't have to be high end to be not dangerous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 11:21 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,569,264 times
Why don't you provide an example of a cheap apartment complex that does not have experienced a major crime?
Don't you think its more stupid to think that that link you provided is actually valid statistical data and NOT some fishing scam

maybe these would help you
Average Rent In Houston, Houston Rent Trends and Rental Comps
Houston Apartments for Rent - Apartments in Houston - Houston TX Apartment Rentals | MyNewPlace

Old 05-20-2011, 08:32 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,802,467 times
What I do know is that here in San Antonio I used to live in an apartment complex where I was paying around 500 a month for rent, and the place was very clean, quiet, and mostly white. The worst crimes we experienced were punk high school kids trying to break into cars.

I'm sure you can find some apartments in Houston for less than 600 that are relatively safe.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
What I do know is that here in San Antonio I used to live in an apartment complex where I was paying around 500 a month for rent, and the place was very clean, quiet, and mostly white. The worst crimes we experienced were punk high school kids trying to break into cars.

I'm sure you can find some apartments in Houston for less than 600 that are relatively safe.
all the apartments I stayed in were under 600. The first two were two bedroom apartments.

That guy is nuts to think that ALL apartments have to be above 600 to be safe.
What you have to live in Memorial to be safe? Oh wait, thats where crime is on the rise. Nevermind

Old 05-20-2011, 12:27 PM

jeebus. if you dont know what 'give us an example' means just tell us who/where your old $600 apartment is.
Of course if the apartment is in far from the city center then its possible to have cheap and safe apartments. $600 may not be on the cheap end anymore. Obviously we were not talking about that, but more about the Houston areas (in the current year), where 'safety' changes when you're a full block away from a cheap apartment complex

I came from a $600 apartment in Newark, New Jersey and its 'safe' FOR ME but I do think a lot of people are pansies when it comes to 'danger'. One example is this idiot person who thinks staying away from certain zipcodes is better than staying away from cheap apartment complexes.

Galleria 1BR for $550 ROTFLMAO

Old 05-20-2011, 12:31 PM

Ignorance is bliss

Old 05-20-2011, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the demo

Old 05-20-2011, 06:34 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,527,326 times
Quote:
Why don't you provide an example of a cheap apartment complex that does not have experienced a major crime?
Don't you think its more stupid to think that that link you provided is actually valid statistical data and NOT some fishing scam

Houston Apartments for Rent - Apartments in Houston - Houston TX Apartment Rentals | MyNewPlace
My guess is that these averages are from the listings on those websites, which is why Rent Jungle shows an average of $930 for a 1-bedroom, while mynewplace's number is $825. Plenty of apartment complexes do no third-party marketing, choosing to place banners on the complex itself when there are vacancies. At the same time, median rent would be a more useful number, given that there is no upper limit on rent, whereas the bottom boundary is always zero, and a single $6K number would significantly skew the average. (For instance, the average of 1 $6K apartment listing and 10 $600 apartment listings is $1091, whereas the median is $600).

Old 05-20-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
My guess is that these averages are from the listings on those websites, which is why Rent Jungle shows an average of $930 for a 1-bedroom, while mynewplace's number is $825. Plenty of apartment complexes do no third-party marketing, choosing to place banners on the complex itself when there are vacancies. At the same time, median rent would be a more useful number, given that there is no upper limit on rent, whereas the bottom boundary is always zero, and a single $6K number would significantly skew the average. (For instance, the average of 1 $6K apartment listing and 10 $600 apartment listings is $1091, whereas the median is $600).

LOL that's great man maybe its the weighted average of only the available rents, I dont know. The point was the websites provide links to rentals(price range/establishments/addresses), unlike the other 'webpage' provided. Those addresses can be checked/researched for 'safety'... but of course you can also use the to learn if it has what youre looking for at that price, or if its just cheap and all that you can afford/deserve.
Do you know any place in Harris county that 'safe' (for most people) for less than $600?
I do have to admit that I did not know <$600 'studios' exist in Texas LOL

Old 05-21-2011, 11:44 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,013,248 times
Quote:

are you kidding?

if you live in the museum district/montrose cheap apartments are nearly as plentiful as million dollar homes. the tera so (sp) is by my old townhouse. diverse families of hispanic, black and white, students, old people. the complex is quiet and well kept for being 600bucks bills paid.

there is a complex nearby on richmond advertising 500 dollars and you see mostly families and white students
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston