Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:19 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,515 times

Advertisements

This thread is popular in other cities. I was hoping it might work here. Houston has been famous for tearing down old buildings. I think the worst mistake the Houston developers made was tearing down the Majestic Theatre. This was either the John Eberson's first or second atmospheric theatre. John Eberson and his son Drew were architects who created 1500 theatres between them. Eberson designed 7 theatres in Texas. Dallas and San antonio saved their Majestic Theatre and both have complemented downtown development. It could have been the same for Houston.

Johm Eberson

The interior of the Majestic in Houston.

Here is the Alabama Theatre:

Exterior of the Alabama Theatre

Interior of the Alabama Theatre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 06:23 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,286,237 times
That was bad but tearing down the Shamrock was the worst IMO

Old 06-19-2009, 06:48 PM

Your probably right. The Shamrock had the greatest grand opening of any business in Texas.

Historic grand opening
The hotel opened with fireworks displays on St. Patrick’s Day 1949. Two thousand Houstonians paid $42 a person to have dinner at what was widely publicized as “Houston’s biggest party" which cost an estimated one million dollars.[10] The party was attended by over 150 Hollywood celebrities including Ginger Rogers, Hedda Hopper, Robert Preston and Errol Flynn along with noted Los Angeles business executives and reporters, some of whom were flown in to Houston Municipal Airport on a customized Boeing 307 Stratoliner airplane which McCarthy had bought only days earlier from Howard Hughes.[11] Many more were brought in by train on a chartered Santa Fe Super Chief. With a crowd estimated at 50,000 gathering outside the hotel, newspaper boys dressed in black tie handed out commemorative editions of the Houston Post as guests arrived that evening. The festivities became so raucous that a radio broadcast from the hotel by actress, singer and World War II pinup girl Dorothy Lamour was cut off by the network (a technician had uttered an expletive live nationwide and Lamour reportedly fled the stage in tears). Life magazine called it "...the most dazzling exhibition of evening dresses and big names ever seen in Texas. Everyone had to concede it was quite a party and quite a hotel." The grand opening of the Shamrock is still cited as one of the biggest social events in Houston’s history.

More:
Shamrock Hotel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-19-2009, 07:55 PM

Here are more theatres:

Broadway:

River Oaks:

South Main Drive In:

Wayside Theatre:

Tower Theatre:

Interior of Tower Theatre:

Eastwood Theatre:

Metropolitan:

Interior of Metropolitan:

Village Theatre:

Blue Bonnet Theatre:

Interior of Blue Bonnet:

Garden Oaks Theatre:

Old 06-19-2009, 08:09 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
The Metropolitan and Loew's State were the most beautiful, IMHO.

Astroworld, of course...and Peppermint Park
The old Town & Country center (back in the 70's, with the big fountain and Panjo's Pizza)
Foley's
Joske's
Sakowitz
Kaplan's Ben-Hur

Old 06-19-2009, 08:26 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,864,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
The Metropolitan and Loew's State were the most beautiful, IMHO.

Astroworld
, of course...and Peppermint Park
The old Town & Country center (back in the 70's, with the big fountain and Panjo's Pizza)
Foley's
Joske's
Sakowitz
Kaplan's Ben-Hur
Will never get over thisIdiots.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:21 PM

One of my memories is going to see Exorcist in Dec. of 1973. It was showing at only one theatre. I think it was the Alabama, but I could be wrong. I had to wait in line two hours to buy a ticket. then I had to wait in another line for two hours to see the picture. finally I got to see the movie, another two hours. That was a six hour investment. But it was worth it. Really scary for the time.

I went to the movies at the Gulfgate Cinema often. It was across the freeway from Gulfgate Mall. They had a walkway that went across the freeway so that you could see the movie. One of my favorites there was 2001 Space Odyssey. I saw it in December of 1968.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:29 PM

I remember meeting an old Texas Ranger. He had quite a reputation in Houston. He quieted a riot in Herman Park back in the 60's. The saying goes, "One riot---one Ranger", and it worked.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:51 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,286,237 times
My first date was at that Gulfgate theater!

Do you have any pics of the Santa Rosa Theater?

Old 06-20-2009, 09:53 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
The walkway over 610 is just about the only vestige of old Gulfgate Mall left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston