Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:37 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,415,301 times

Advertisements

Hooray deregulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 03:02 PM

298 posts, read 950,648 times
^Mhmm. We really got a good hand on that one

Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,721,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
7.5 cents? That's not gonna happen. And ithe total price is important...not what centerpoint or the electricity provide gets... I gotta pay them both.
Well I am paying 7.5kkwh. Like I said earlier it depends on who you go with. You probably won't see this advertised anywhere.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
Exactly, most texans pay around that amount, there are exceptions but generally speaking, texans pay the highest utility rates in the nation including dallas and houston

Dallas-area utility bills among highest in the nation | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Dallas Business News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/012109dnbusutility.12a1244f.html - broken link)

Also, end use residential customers in texas generally speaking pay the highest electrical uses due to deregulation

Electric Power Monthly - Average Retail Price of Electricity to Ultimate Customers by End-Use Sector, by State

Texas pay the highest insurance rates in the nation too

Texans still pay highest insurance rates for homeowner policies | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/030309dntexinsurance.3cf2ee2.html - broken link)

and coverage may not be what you want Coverage at what cost? Homeowners pay higher insurance premiums, yet many policies limited | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Headline | National News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/nation/stories/DN-son4nuinsurancemain_15pro.ART2.State.Edition1.4c67 e2e.html - broken link)

The facts basically speak for themselves, there are exceptions but generally speaking the cost of living in texas is not as low as people claim it to be.

Texans pay one the lowest insurance in the country. Auto insurance that is.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Exactly, most texans pay around that amount, there are exceptions but generally speaking, texans pay the highest utility rates in the nation including dallas and houston

Dallas-area utility bills among highest in the nation | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Dallas Business News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/012109dnbusutility.12a1244f.html - broken link)

Also, end use residential customers in texas generally speaking pay the highest electrical uses due to deregulation

Electric Power Monthly - Average Retail Price of Electricity to Ultimate Customers by End-Use Sector, by State

Texas pay the highest insurance rates in the nation too

Texans still pay highest insurance rates for homeowner policies | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/030309dntexinsurance.3cf2ee2.html - broken link)

and coverage may not be what you want Coverage at what cost? Homeowners pay higher insurance premiums, yet many policies limited | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Headline | National News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/nation/stories/DN-son4nuinsurancemain_15pro.ART2.State.Edition1.4c67 e2e.html - broken link)

The facts basically speak for themselves, there are exceptions but generally speaking the cost of living in texas is not as low as people claim it to be.
Texas is one of the lowest cost of living states and has a higher salary depending on your profession.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:00 PM

656 posts, read 1,415,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Texas is one of the lowest cost of living states and has a higher salary depending on your profession.

Not true at all, cost of living is dependent on your lifestyle/income and as for wages texas is usually in line with the national average, depends on your profession.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Texans pay one the lowest insurance in the country. Auto insurance that is.
Auto insurance rates are middle of the pack in texas but not the lowest in the nation

http://www.insure.com/articles/inter...AvgResults.jsp

Old 07-08-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Not true at all, cost of living is dependent on your lifestyle/income and as for wages texas is usually in line with the national average, depends on your profession.
Spending lifestyle varies but if I were to spend the same amount here compare to California then I would be saving more in Texas.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Spending lifestyle varies but if I were to spend the same amount here compare to California then I would be saving more in Texas.
Possibly, but your lifestyle may be different than others and its not just lifestyle its circumstances and income, thats the point. Not everybody has a mortgage on their home, pays the same property taxes, etc , some people also live in subsidized housing.

Some people in california pay $400 a year in taxes on a home worth $400,000, others pay $4,000. Homeowners insurance is lower , auto insurance is about the same, and utilities a bit lower thought not by much, the weather makes it more bearable.

Not everybody is married with kids or has the same commute, so you cannot say texas cost of living is necessarily lower based on those above facts. For most texans its probably higher or atleast in the middle, but they may not realize it.

Also if you are a homeowner, you are reducing equity in your home, more on that later. For certain people it doesn't matter as its short term or they can't afford a pricier home and want better school districts.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:37 AM

226 posts, read 891,009 times
I live in Central California and we don't really have the humidity here but we have the heat. We only have one energy provider that has a monopoly on most residents of California, PG&E. Here is a clip of my electric bill: Electric Charges $151.98
Baseline Quantity 524.90000 Kwh
Baseline Usage 524.90000 Kwh @ $0.11531
101-130% of Baseline 157.47000 Kwh @ $0.13109
131-200% of Baseline 272.63000 Kwh @ $0.25974
After you use too much [baseline] they charge a premium over baseline. This doesn't include all the other fees.
I also have a gas bill for my stovetop: Charges
06/03/2009 - 06/30/2009
Gas Charges $20.58
Baseline Quantity 13.72000 Therms
Baseline Usage 13.72000 Therms @ $0.93503
Over Baseline Usage 6.55586 Therms @ $1.18074
note: I live in an apartment with just my wife and one son.
Most people that are low income have signed up for public assistance with their utility bill and get a discount c/o all the other paying customers of course. So if I'm only paying 13 cents a Kw I will be saving money in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston