Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:06 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times

Advertisements

Lil' Big's

Awesome sliders (especially the pulled pork) and hand cut fries. Montrose, a block north of Westheimer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 08:12 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygirl1 View Post
There is a cafe connected to the Brenham Airport, in Brenham of course. They have great burgers and their fries are very crispy. I don't care if they are hand cut but they must be crispy.
One of our favorite places. The Southern Flyer Diner.

I'm not a big fan of fried foods, but this place is wonderful. So fresh, so well made, even the fried foods are incredible. Fresh fried catfish. Chicken Fried Steak. Veggies!

Worth a trip.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:24 PM

611 posts, read 2,234,645 times
I think 5 guys burgers lack flavor, but their fries are very good

back in the day when Chilis "slammed" their own fries I thought they had the best fries out there bar none especially if I cooked them

here is how Chilis did theirs....you have to blanch them

you would wash the prep sink thoroughly, fill it with ice water (about 25% ice), slam the fries into the sink full of ice water through the cutter, collect all those into a rectangle lexan with the slotted drain insert in place to drain the water....let water drain for a bit and pick up and shake the slotted laxan and let drain a bit more.....DO NOT LET THEM WARM UP YOU WANT THEM TO STAY COLD so only drain for a bit and make sure the cut fries stay very cold

get another rectangle lexan with slotted insert....fill under the insert up with ice and then some more water so the slotted part is about half filled with the chilled water

take the fries that you just cut and put them into the fryer and fry for 2 minutes (I believe) or just until they start to swell a little and have SLIGHT color change....not even really color just a sight change

remove them from the fryer and dump into the lexan filled with ice water....when you have filled that lexan......pull the slotted insert out, shake water from it and put that slotted insert into a fresh rectangle lexan and of course date and lable

let chill in the walkin at least 5-6 hours before use

you will know you blanched them right when the fires and greasy to the touch after cooling, but they are NOT a mass of potato and grease the fries are still loose from one another or if there is some grease the fries still come apart easily as whole individual fries

a big mass of grease and potato means you over did it or you let the fries warm up before blanch frying, or you did not have the ice bath cool enough

when you get them back out of the walkin you also want them to stay cool or cold as long as possible.....the cool going into the oil helps with texture and cooking

you need to do the cooling and blanching to get the nice outside and still have the inside cook properly....blanching is hard on the grease as well so we always did it with the oldest grease and then those fryers were changed out with new grease for the days shift

now if only I could remember the guac recipe

Old 05-12-2010, 06:31 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
I used to dislike Beck's Primes fries, until I learned that you can ask them to double fry them. Who knew? Double fried they are crispy and delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston