Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 07:55 PM

232 posts, read 701,103 times

Advertisements

Visit both and see what you like.
taxes are about the same in both. NT seems to have more trees as it is slightly older than Greatwood. Depending where you live in either, it can be a long way to get to 59. Whichever house you buy in either neighborhood, scope out the neighbors.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 AM

279 posts, read 724,491 times
Both are great neighborhoods, and your price range will get you a very nice house in either NT or GW. You will not be unhappy in GW (we have friends there who really like it), but given your stated criteria, you should at the very least give NT a good look.

The east side of 99 will probably have more of what you are looking for while still being within your price range. It is older, so the trees are more mature (and several sections have some of the original pecan orchard trees that have been around for over a half century). As Topaz said, none of the homes will be new (our home that we bought last year is 19 years old) but nearly all of them are well-maintained and many have been updated. There are nice parks on both sides that are within an easy walk of most houses in the neighborhood. Both Brazos Bend and Walker Station are Exemplary and feed into Exemplary Sartartia Middle. Both high schools that NT is zoned to (Austin and Travis) are Recognized.

Regarding access to US 59, GW is going to be very easy for getting onto US 59 in the morning (it's right there, after all). NT isn't as great, but US 90A and University Blvd both work pretty well. IMO, GW's biggest problem is exiting US 59 at 99 in the evenings. You've either got to make a left and get into GW from Crabb River Rd or you've got to make a u-turn under US 59. The u-turn lane backs up nearly to the exit ramp, quite the nightmare.

Regarding foundations, there are two types of houses in the Houston area: Those that have had foundation problems, and those that are going to have them. I have heard about supposed issues with the foundations in GW, but our house in NT (along with several others) has had foundation work done in the past.

In summary, you won't go wrong in GW, but you should definitely give NT a look.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 11,114 times
Thank you so much for your response. You have convinced me that we need to at least look in NT before we purchase. We viewed 4 houses in Greatwood today at lunch - I like one and my husband liked one (unfortunately not the same one)

When we had lunch he grabbed the Sugar Land magazine and paged through it and we saw some pictures of NT and he asked me about it so I think we will take a look.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:00 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
Default Pictures of New Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by katking View Post

When we had lunch he grabbed the Sugar Land magazine and paged through it and we saw some pictures of NT and he asked me about it so I think we will take a look.
I posted some pictures of New Territory here:

Pictures of New Territory

More Pictures of New Territory

Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Great pictures!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:02 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,220 times
The problem for New Territory IMO is the fact that it takes far too long to get out of the neighborhood and onto the Highway. We have family friends that live in NT and it always seems to be a good 10mins. before we actually get onto the freeway, and there is only one shopping center(Randalls) from there to 59. It seems like your drive in a sea of houses before you finally get to the new Telfair development and then onto 59.

I would look into Telfair, the commute for you might be significantly less.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:36 PM

4 posts, read 11,114 times
Topaz, those pictures are beautiful! Thank you.

EEstudent, thank you for your insight about the commute. Telfair seems to be low on mature trees which is something we love.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katking View Post
Topaz, those pictures are beautiful! Thank you.

EEstudent, thank you for your insight about the commute. Telfair seems to be low on mature trees which is something we love.
You're welcome.

Telfair is much more expensive, by the way. It isn't really comparing apples to apples to compare Greatwood or New Territory with Telfair.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:07 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Telfair is in Katy, right?

Old 04-16-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Telfair is in Katy, right?
No, Sugar Land, next to New Territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston