Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 04:05 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Those are the worse kinds. Hope there's a way for you or someone else (I wouldn't mind!) to do it safely.

DONE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 05:02 PM

410 posts, read 1,675,974 times
Remember the judge who lost her "judgeship" because of her using her deceased mother's placard?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:24 PM

125 posts, read 614,951 times
Talking Good One

Quote:
Originally Posted by scammed1 View Post
Remember the judge who lost her "judgeship" because of her using her deceased mother's placard?
I remember.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:07 PM

160 posts, read 715,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Story of a neighbor---her husband needed a handicapped hanger for multiple reasons, she saw no problem using it for herself, as well. Said about handicapped parking "they get all the good spaces"

Well, her husband died several years ago, and she seemed more concerned about the loss of the handicapped hanger than her husband, the hanger was due to expire in a few months, she was actually trying to figure out how to just re apply for her husband's card and continue using it.

Well, fate solved the problem for her. Just within a week of the card expiring, she suffered a major stroke. Now she's entitled to her very own handicapped card, and no one will ever take it away!

See, life has a way of working out, doesn't it!
Wow... Because she used a handicapped sticker she wasn't entitled to, the good lord came and made things right by giving her nothing less than a stroke.

Last edited by Sea2LV2Hou; 06-23-2009 at 07:19 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,937 times
Default Write 'em a Ticket!

The Texas constitution authorizes cities to appoint volunteer disabled parking enforcement officers--I am one in Midland TX. Why not investigate if you can qualify? My partner and I average 20+ per day when we go out, at $250 per ticket, and the numbers are falling--we are getting the public's attention!

We are members of our Citizens on Patrol and Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association, use a city vehicle with police radios, and wear a uniform of sorts. We are NOT allowed to determine if the permit holder is in the vehicle--only peace officers may question the occupants. Many of the recipients of our "greeting cards" have merely forgotten to hang the placard, or put it on the dash, but even they have to visit the court to have the ticket dismissed.

Many of our citations are issued to vehicles blocking an access aisle or ramp, including delivery trucks and the like, but we currently only issue a warning to a disabled permit holder doing so, by our choice. If we see the vehicle again committing the same offense, it is issued a citation.

We take digital photos of every offending vehicle, and almost never have to go to court to testify, because the pictures usually result in the $250 fine being paid with a quilty plea.

I cannot tell you the satisfaction we get for the one day a week we usually serve, and the "Attaboys!" we hear from truly disabled citizens!

Old 08-22-2009, 01:12 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHathaway View Post
The Texas constitution authorizes cities to appoint volunteer disabled parking enforcement officers--I am one in Midland TX. Why not investigate if you can qualify? My partner and I average 20+ per day when we go out, at $250 per ticket, and the numbers are falling--we are getting the public's attention!

We are members of our Citizens on Patrol and Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association, use a city vehicle with police radios, and wear a uniform of sorts. We are NOT allowed to determine if the permit holder is in the vehicle--only peace officers may question the occupants. Many of the recipients of our "greeting cards" have merely forgotten to hang the placard, or put it on the dash, but even they have to visit the court to have the ticket dismissed.

Many of our citations are issued to vehicles blocking an access aisle or ramp, including delivery trucks and the like, but we currently only issue a warning to a disabled permit holder doing so, by our choice. If we see the vehicle again committing the same offense, it is issued a citation.

We take digital photos of every offending vehicle, and almost never have to go to court to testify, because the pictures usually result in the $250 fine being paid with a quilty plea.

I cannot tell you the satisfaction we get for the one day a week we usually serve, and the "Attaboys!" we hear from truly disabled citizens!
Rep points to you and thanks for posting this information! I'll definitely spread the word. Thanks for doing this service for the truly disabled citizens of Midland.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:13 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
DONE!

Old 08-22-2009, 09:38 AM

125 posts, read 614,951 times
Well, I tell you it hasn't gotten better at all. I still go to the Target off of Westheimer Parkway in Cinco Ranch to eat and watch. I would say that out of 100 cars that use the Handicapped parking spaces only 1 or 2 really need to park there. Once I witnessed an elderly lady just circling the parking lot waiting on a spot to open up. She gave up and had to park in a regular spot then limped all the way into the store, 5 minutes later a teenage boy driving moms surburban came out of the store carrying one small item and left his handicapped spot. By the way he was healthy!!! This just burns me up!!! I am going to check with FortBend county on becoming a Citizens on Patrol and Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association, I will gladly with a HUGH smile leave these tickets.

Last edited by Dougishere2; 08-22-2009 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-22-2009, 08:00 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,631 times
Default How about the ones that drive the big SUVS?

What gets me are the people with the stickers on these big SUVs and Pick-up trucks - Vehicles that a normal person would have trouble driving and getting in and out of...

If they are handicapped, how can they handle these things? How do they manage to get in and out of them (if they have bad hips, heart problems, etc. etc. )?

I've helped some handicapped people, and one thing that they all had in common was problems getting in and out of cars too small or too big (high).

Though I know that what a lot of people say about disabilities that are not so obvious is true. I know several people that the walk into the store and the mall itself is hard enough. So, the extra steps in the parking lots are a burden to them. They are struggling, and you just cannot see it.

I have a friend like that. And, I am sometimes one of the people that drop her off up front, then I park her car in the handicap spot, so that when I get her out, I can get her right to the car quick. Becasue I know that she is then struggling.

So, I'm probably one of the people that you are looking at and sayng.."That no-good SOB!"

The truth is, I'm just trying to help a struggling neighbor. And, it is not easy taking care of someone like that in such a situation. I don't want anything to happen to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston