Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 02:11 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Yes they require it. It was STATE TROOPER who pulled me over, not a city cop. I hadn't had the plate on for like a year, due to being in an accident and getting a new bumper that didn't fit my plate. He was in front of me, and I'm pretty sure he wanted to run my plates while he was in front of me. And because he couldn't do it, pulled me over. He got lucky as I was "hot" one. At least he was nice about it and let me follow him in my own car to the jail. Totally sucked as I was on my way to my bridal shower....
You can't go to jail for no having a front license plate. Oh wait, you also had a warrant right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 02:49 PM

298 posts, read 954,942 times
There's this, but I don't think it passed. If that's correct, you need two plates:
Texas Legislature Online - 80(R) History for HB 1666

And there's this:

Quote:
Sec. 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR REGISTRATION INSIGNIA. (a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have been:

(1) assigned by the department for the period; or

(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle, other than a vehicle assigned license plates for the registration period, that does not properly display the registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the license plates have been validated for the period.

(c) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does not display a license plate, attached to the rear of the vehicle, that has been:

(1) assigned by the department for the period; or

(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.

(d) Subsections (a) and (b) do not apply to a dealer operating a vehicle as provided by law.

(e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.

(f) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (a) if the defendant:

(1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and

(2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.

(g) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (b) if the defendant:

(1) shows that:

(A) the passenger car or commercial motor vehicle was issued a registration insignia by the department that establishes that the vehicle was registered for the period during which the offense was committed; and

(B) the registration insignia described in Paragraph (A) was attached to the passenger car or commercial motor vehicle before the defendant's first court appearance; and

(2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.
TRANSPORTATION CODEÂ*Â* CHAPTER 502. REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES (http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/TN/content/htm/tn.007.00.000502.00.htm#502.404.00 - broken link)

Old 06-28-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevfiv View Post
There's this, but I don't think it passed. If that's correct, you need two plates:
Texas Legislature Online - 80(R) History for HB 1666

And there's this:

TRANSPORTATION CODEÂ*Â* CHAPTER 502. REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES (http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/TN/content/htm/tn.007.00.000502.00.htm#502.404.00 - broken link)

So which one is it?
Both has not passed?

Old 06-28-2009, 05:00 PM

The new vehicles do not have brackets to instlal front plates.

Has anyone got pulled over? What was the ticket?

Old 06-28-2009, 10:10 PM

160 posts, read 715,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
The new vehicles do not have brackets to instlal front plates.

Has anyone got pulled over? What was the ticket?
Get out your drill.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea2LV2Hou View Post
Get out your drill.

For my bumper?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:41 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,139,691 times
a lot of times you will see the front plate on the dashboard if it doesn't fit the bumper.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
a lot of times you will see the front plate on the dashboard if it doesn't fit the bumper.
Still defeats the purpose though.

People don't want it because it ruins the look of the vehicle.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:44 PM

298 posts, read 954,942 times
A lot of new cars I've seen come with standard sized threaded holes for plates on the front, if I remember correctly.

And the transportation code stands as is. The house bill is the one that didn't pass, I believe..

As far as the "look" of the vehicle, that's a whole different issue (dealing with vanity vs utility)

Old 06-29-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevfiv View Post
A lot of new cars I've seen come with standard sized threaded holes for plates on the front, if I remember correctly.

And the transportation code stands as is. The house bill is the one that didn't pass, I believe..

As far as the "look" of the vehicle, that's a whole different issue (dealing with vanity vs utility)
If it failed in the House, it never got to the President's desk for signature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: