Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 02:56 PM

147 posts, read 350,926 times

Advertisements

Do you understand the meaning of the word "roughly"? How many illegals do you think the census leaves out? The vast majority of latinos here in Houston are Mexican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 03:06 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dirty View Post
That is exactly what I am saying. Considering roughly half of Houston is Mexican that would make Houston a racist town. When you can go into Mexican businesses and feel unwanted, I say that makes a pretty big impact on the city. I have live in South and Central America and never felt the blatant racism like I do here in Houston. My wife is Colombian and can even tell that the people treat me differently even when I am with her and our Hispanic friends speaking Spanish.
I'm of Filipino descent and don't speak Spanish but Mexicans and Mexican-Americans are usually cool to me here. Seems there might be an attitude problem somewhere you have that they pick up on.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:18 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
This esssay is coming from a "Worldly Man" who was up at 1AM on a Saturday night doing this I tease I tease.... lol

But i did read your long and thought out response and although most of the response is comparing how crappy San Diego and LA are compared to Houston; for the most part I cannot say that your points are either true or false.

I can say this... although to you Houston might be happening and hip it still pales in comparison to the Nightlife in Chicago, NYC, L.A.
In Chicago on a Saturday night at around 11PM ALL OF DOWNTOWN IS PACKED... soo many people walking around.. so many cars and Taxi's... i mean it just comes alive! are you really going to say that about Houston?

And I think there is a general understanding that the people that move to Houston "en masse" are those who want to stretch their money, not because of it's "night life" or its "plethora of different cultures".

I have heard of Chicago being a less integrated as compared to Houston... but you cannot claim that Houston is so well mixed; I still see Indian people hanging out with Indian people, White Folks with the White Folks, Asians with the Asians... and so forth.

But you do have a point, about how Houston is an up and coming city; there are new areas being developed daily, and construction seems to be going on in every direction...
However, instead of the general public guiding and leading the change and upgrades to the city
URBAN PLANNERS and DEVELOPERS have a strangle-hold on what goes where, and what everything should look like; there is nothing organic or spontaneous growth about it. this is excluding Rice Village and Montrose my hats go off to those neighborhoods who have kept their looks and way of life even though the whole city is haphazardly building around them.
Chicago and L.A. are denser and older...but it doesn't tarnish what Houston offers. And L.A. downtown proper doesn't hold a candle to downtown Houston's actual nightlife. Chicago doesn't have the varying streetscapes we have here across our sprawl.

"I still see Indian people hanging out with Indian people, White Folks with the White Folks, Asians with the Asians... and so forth."

That's not any more or less compared to places like N.Y., L.A. and Chicago, especially in a place like Chi-town where the neighorhoods are VERY INSULAR.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:18 PM

How can you come come to the conclusion that I have an attitude problem if you haven't met me? Also, I am talking about Houston not suburbs.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:56 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Having lived in both cities (and one who loves both of them) I would say Dallas has a more "upscale" type of cosmopolitan feel to it, while Houston has a more easygoing "international" cosmopolitan vibe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I wouldn't have it any other way.

"Upscale" is typically shorthand for "douchebag magnet" where I stand.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:24 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
I'm of Filipino descent and don't speak Spanish but Mexicans and Mexican-Americans are usually cool to me here. Seems there might be an attitude problem somewhere you have that they pick up on.
I have to agree with you in that Hispanics as well as many other racial groups have been cool to me here in Houston. While living in St. Louis, N.O. and Philadelphia, I noticed that the locals there did not know how to place me, since I am neither white nor black. I was a total stranger to their provincial mind. In N. California the people there seemed ok in the beginning but later one realizes that they give too much importance to the superficiality of people and things. The militant left and the reactionary right in Cali were too childish for my taste. People in Houston seem to have an easier time transcending those issues.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:39 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
I think what Big Dirty in his statistical wisdom here fails to account for is many Hispanics in Texas, indeed even those of Mexican descent, have had their families here for generations (remember what country Texas used to belong to) to where they are Americanized and practically indistinguishable on a cultural level from whites. Some of them can't speak a lick of Spanish they wouldn't need ordering food at Taco Bell. They're still counted as Hispanics.

Anyway, I guess this is on topic somewhat because the OP was wanting to know how racist and ignorant we might or might not be. Nothing like a first-hand demonstration.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:40 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
Chicago and L.A. are denser and older...but it doesn't tarnish what Houston offers. And L.A. downtown proper doesn't hold a candle to downtown Houston's actual nightlife. Chicago doesn't have the varying streetscapes we have here across our sprawl.

"I still see Indian people hanging out with Indian people, White Folks with the White Folks, Asians with the Asians... and so forth."

That's not any more or less compared to places like N.Y., L.A. and Chicago, especially in a place like Chi-town where the neighorhoods are VERY INSULAR.
Your right, nothing would tarnish what Houston has(how can it?). Houston has a nice lil set-up no doubt; but in the original post you mentioned that it looked like that of CHicago and/or LA... lets not get carried away with what Houston is and what it is not.

Chicago doesn't have the varying streetscapes? what kind of B.S. is that? who cares?!? what in the world are you going to do with Varying streetscapes?

I've never been to L.A. but I have a feeling it is also sprawled out; I'll have to find out when I go there. I am also sure their nightlife in their downtown might not be what one would expect... but it should make up for it in the outlying areas.

As far as the Hispanic population in Houston; I get along with them great... heck I've been mistaken for spanish speaking on a number of times. I honestly think that Hispanics are the most hard-working individuals I have ever seen... and I am sure they wouldnt appreciate the negative comments that are put up on a few previous posts. And besides... Latin women are FINE so I got no beef with 'em

Old 06-28-2009, 08:49 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
doesn't have the varying streetscapes? what kind of B.S. is that? who cares?!? what in the world are you going to do with Varying streetscapes?
I made a hobby of sorts out of exploring them and working digital photography into it somehow. Took a little ingenuity, yes, but I found something to do that interested me. You ever considered finding something interesting to do?

Quote:
I've never been to L.A. but I have a feeling it is also sprawled out; I'll have to find out when I go there. I am also sure their nightlife in their downtown might not be what one would expect... but it should make up for it in the outlying areas.
Chicagoland sprawls out too. Just because you haven't experienced driving from 30 miles out like you do from Sugar Land to UH doesn't mean there's nobody doing it from Chicago. You could have the sprawl affect you less if you'd move into the city. No, you don't have to live near UH if you don't want to. In time you might even work up the will to explore the city and actually experience Houston.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:50 PM

Wow. I am really suprised that you guys have had a different experience than I have had. Do You guys ever come to Northside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston