Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 07:51 PM

141 posts, read 123,320 times

Advertisements

Hello

We have never been to Texas, never mind Katy but it is one of our options for when I retire and we can can finally escape California within the next 12-18 months

Some questions

How is property tax worked out?

I see properties around the same size, some are single story, some are two story but wildly different property taxes all inside of Katy. How is the property tax worked out? We are a family of husband and wife with a 10yr old and a 3 yr old so really don't need anything above 3000/3500sq ft and definitely no pool.

Do most homes have HOA fees and are most in 'communities'

My son is a competitive swimmer with JO times and also a triathlete. I know Katy has a very good youth triathlon club although I'm not sure where in Katy they are actually based

https://www.furytriteam.com/

And also some good swim clubs

https://www.texaseliteswimteam.com/katy

We would prefer to live reasonably close to these locations to avoid traveling too far

The Big one!!

Education

Our son presently goes to our church school. Not for any snobbish reasons or that we have an excess of cash to burn but simply because education system in California has a become a political hot potato with subjects such as DEI and guessing your pronouns on a daily basis considered to be more important than Maths or science and parents at each others throats

Do you have the same issues in Katy? i really don't want to have to send them to a private school if it can be avoided. Which are considered good middle and high schools in the area?

One more question. Are there other filipinas in the area? My wife is from the Philippines and would like to hang out with other ladies also from the area and also filipino restaurants would be a bonus

Thank you for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 10:49 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,044 times
Katy has a new Asian district which has exploded - but when you say "katy" you gotta study it as there's the actual city of Katy and tons of unincorporated areas using Katy as an address with development all over the place and then there's a part using a Brookshire address which is located in Katy ISD

Old 01-06-2024, 11:57 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Property taxes is a very complex topic that most people don’t even understand
I believe it was designed that way on purpose

Here’s my understanding
There’s 2 values used in property taxes = market value and appraised value
Market value is an estimate that they pull out of their behind somewhat based on the value of the houses recently sold in your area
I say that is pulled out of their behind because in my street, I calculated the market value per square foot of the houses and there was a wide range of values (that information is public)
Appraised is the value used for property taxes, should be the same as market value, but it can go up no more than 10% per year, so it can fall behind market value.
Where it gets interesting is that you are allowed to protest … not the appraised value, but the market value.

I think property taxes are usually around 2.75%
If your house is appraised at $100,000, your property tax for the year is $2750 or $230/month
If the house is appraised $200,000, just multiply those numbers by 2.

I’ve successfully protested by finding the lowest market value per square foot in my neighborhood and asking for the same value for my house.
And yes, it’s ridiculous that I even have to do that.

Old 01-07-2024, 06:54 AM

276 posts, read 120,567 times
Default Over 65?

If you are over 65 then property taxes should not be a big issue. Texas has very good over 65 exemptions.

Old 01-07-2024, 01:48 PM

332 posts, read 260,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipmart87 View Post
One more question. Are there other filipinas in the area? My wife is from the Philippines and would like to hang out with other ladies also from the area and also filipino restaurants would be a bonus
Houston's Filipino community is highly concentrated in and around the Medical Center. That said, Katy is one of the more diverse suburbs in the metro, with a growing Asian population (many of whom are of SE Asian descent). Could be wrong, I think there are a couple Filipino restaurants in Katy Asian Town.

Old 01-07-2024, 02:22 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
If you are over 65 then property taxes should not be a big issue. Texas has very good over 65 exemptions.
Varies by county. Harris County has great over 65 exemption. Galveston, Montgomery and other counties - not so great but still okay. But if family has a 10 year old and 3 year old - they are likely not over 65.

Old 01-07-2024, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Varies by county. Harris County has great over 65 exemption. Galveston, Montgomery and other counties - not so great but still okay. But if family has a 10 year old and 3 year old - they are likely not over 65.
I was a late starter. By the time we get there I will be

Old 01-07-2024, 03:11 PM

5,613 posts, read 4,937,855 times
The taxes will vary with (1) school district - most of the Katy area is in Katy ISD, but some of the growing suburbs are in Royal, Lamar Consolidated, Cy-Fair, or Waller ISDs; (2) which county - the Katy area covers 3 different counties; and (3) whether you are in the City of Katy (only a small area) or in a MUD / water district which has its own tax rate. The third reason is likely the main reason why you see highly variable tax rates across greater Katy.

Essentially any relatively new development of single family homes will have an HOA and associated annual fee.

Old 01-08-2024, 06:45 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times
You shouldn't have to deal with meddlesome issues like "inclusion" in Katy, which I'm sure will be a great relief! That's not to say it won't be political, however. Now they are occupied with banning books. But I'm guessing certain types of politics in the school are probably fine with you.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
You shouldn't have to deal with meddlesome issues like "inclusion" in Katy, which I'm sure will be a great relief! That's not to say it won't be political, however. Now they are occupied with banning books. But I'm guessing certain types of politics in the school are probably fine with you.
Poltics if taught in a historic, educational sense are fine with me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston