Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 03:20 PM

3 posts, read 12,497 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about moving to suburban Houston, (specifically the northwest side). The area near Langham Creek High School seems like a very nice place. I looked at it on Google street view and the neighborhoods look amazing. I just have a few questions about the place:
1. Is it safe?
2. Is it a nice place to raise a family?
3. Are the schools good?
4. Are insects in homes & apartments a serious issue?
5. How bad is traffic?
6. I'm an atheist, so I'm wondering if I'll be able to fit in.

The area I move to doesn't necessarily have to be in northwest Houston, just a place that meets my aforementioned requirements above.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 04:26 PM

264 posts, read 441,759 times
The area you are describing is referred to as Northwest Harris County. How near Langham Creek are you talking about? That high school has been on the decline over the years. I would look just a little further northwest just on the other side of 290. The Cy Fair schools in that area are some of the better ones in the district. Traffic depends on where you are going. If you are heading inbound on 290 in the morning it is one of the worst commutes. Insects? You will need to exterminate every so often. No one cares of you are an atheist.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:17 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,883,870 times
Northwest Harris County has some beautiful neighborhoods, alright. I'd be cautious about 290, though, unless you won't need to use it much. It's about to undergo major construction that will go on for years. There are other ways to get into Houston that are longer in mileage but much safer and less nerve wracking. When I go to Houston on 290 from Austin, I cut over to I-10 on the tollway east of Cypress, and go into the city that way.

As for religion (and politics, for that matter), most neighbors really don't get into that. I've lived on my block for 22 years and are friends with my neighbors, but we've never discussed any of that. I think if you became very personal friends with someone, the subjects might come up. As for atheists, I'm betting there are plenty in that part of the county. You could do a search online and see if there are groups out there. It would be analogous to how religious people find others who are similar by joining churches.

By the way, I have a relative in Cypress and they love it out there.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:19 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,870,218 times
I've heard people call it Gangham Creek, but it is not that bad. I have a friend that lived directly across 529 from the school in Northglen, and he said it was not a great neighborhood, but he lived there for 10+ years until about 2008 when he sold to an investor for rental. Mostly cheap homes under $100K built in the 80's or so. The school is an average one in Cy Fair IMO. Things are much better further north and west as TXbywayof said. Copperfield is an inexpensive area that is still good around there. Most of the other good areas have more expensive, 200K+ homes. The homes directly north of Langham Creek off Logenbough are some nice ones. I have a few friends that live over there in the Wheatstone and Copper Lakes area and they have some nice homes. We looked out there, but decided to stay close in by the beltway.

Good luck!

Old 10-12-2013, 11:41 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,851,661 times
There are a lot of great neighborhoods along Barker Cypress. Langham Creek is not the best school in the Cypress Fairbanks School District but it's also not the worst. The area gets a little better the closer you get to 290 and gets even better as it turns into Spring Cypress.

You really can't go wrong with any neighborhood along Barker Cypress between 529 and 290.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: