Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 06:30 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Anyone who use to live in CA live in Houston now?
What was your main reason for relocation?
Grew up in San Diego, college in Berkeley and lived in city of L.A. for a number of years. Left California for lower cost of living and to live in a state that was not crumbling around my family and me. Lived in Dallas for a year and a half, left for the east coast (job) for six months and hated it, just transferred back to Texas for a job with my company in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 07:35 AM

187 posts, read 714,426 times
I grew up in Arlington, TX. Lived briefly in Monterey, CA then moved to San Diego for grad school and stayed. Never thought I'd move back to Texas, let alone Houston, but my husband got a big career promotion so we made the move. Before the promotion, we'd been thinking about leaving CA b/c home prices were through the roof making it impossible to upgrade to something comfortable and affordable, so when the Houston opportunity arose, we carefully weighed the pros and cons. It wasn't the best time to leave since we had to sell a home while prices were plummeting. There are many things I miss about SoCal (friends, weather, being able to spend all day outside w/o having to desperately seek a/c and/or a pool, scenery, terrain, and general lifestyle). But, I see those as sacrifices to come to an area where the state economy is healthier, schools (in general) are far better, and our housing dollar will go ~3x farther.

I think much of my adjustment has been more about living in the far-flung 'burbs as a stay-at-home mom (compared to living central/urban as a working parent). There are lots of smaller points about Houston vs. SD that are different (weather, religion, politics, etc) but having grown up in DFW, those haven't been a surprise.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:17 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,890 times
We moved from Ca (Huntington Beach and San Diego) three years ago for work and to be closer to some family. We are originally from the midwest so it wasn't too much of a culture shock for us. After 7 years in Ca we were ready to get somewhere "normal". LOL

About the only thing I miss is the beach and the scenery. Other than that haven't missed it at all.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:40 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
We've lived in Napa 4 times. Huntington Beach,Newport Beach,LaJolla....DH's job

Old 07-02-2009, 09:19 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
In the Austin forum there would have been 30 replies by people from California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Because of Silicon Valley 2.
I think that's just another title invented by the tourism bureau there, just like Live Music Capital. Not exactly true.
More likely because they hear that Austin is supposed to be the most like CA/least like TX. In reality it's more like TX than anything else outside the state. I wonder how many of them end up surprised.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:38 AM

193 posts, read 436,822 times
My wife and I are both born and raised Californians currently living in the Bay Area. We will be moving to Houston in September and are moving because the company I worked for offered me a transfer. We decided to take it due to several factors including the price of housing in Houston compared to the Bay Area and the state of the California economy.

Moving will also be quite the adventure for us and we are eager to spread our wings. On a personal note, I officiate high school football and the football doesn't get much better than in Texas.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:00 AM

38 posts, read 113,416 times
I moved to Houston in 2005 from Los Angeles. At the time I moved with a girlfriend and we bought a house in Cypress. In 2007 we broke up and I sold the house and moved to the Gallaria. My Ex moved to Chicago with her job. I did try for a year trying to move back to CA but after my sister left the state so I stopped looking. This is well before the CA enconomy went to crap.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:50 PM

832 posts, read 3,853,464 times
Berkeley, San Francisco, Sacramaneto, Fresno, Seattle.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:06 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default You bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassino View Post
My wife and I are both born and raised Californians currently living in the Bay Area. We will be moving to Houston in September and are moving because the company I worked for offered me a transfer. We decided to take it due to several factors including the price of housing in Houston compared to the Bay Area and the state of the California economy.

Moving will also be quite the adventure for us and we are eager to spread our wings. On a personal note, I officiate high school football and the football doesn't get much better than in Texas.
Check out the Katy area... well known for their football programs, and Katy High School has been state champions many times (relatively speaking), including the present.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:16 PM

193 posts, read 436,822 times
Funny you should mention that, my wife and I have been looking at apartments in Katy east of there towards Houston since I will be working in Bellaire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston