Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:39 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,163 times

Advertisements

No one call make that decision for you but do you really want to return to a state that is falling into bankruptcy and that may soon run out of water? It may be dry and hot here now but it will rain again but that isn't such a certainty in California. The economic conditions in CA are driving businesses away so the job situation can't get anything but worse. Sadly, a huge percentage of whatever meager funds still remain in CA are going to support social, educational and medical services for "residents" that aren't even legal citizens. Is that really your idea of Nirvana? Your call...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 11:44 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Folks I think what the OP is trying to say is the gap between the cost of living in CA/TX. is closing due to the fact that CA wages are higher and Homes are getting cheaper.
One might ask why that is. It took a housing crisis to make that even begin to happen, and it's come at the expense of pretty much the whole California economy.

I say live where you want to, but there's more things to consider than housing costs at this point. If you can't find work, you're not going to be paying the bills anywhere.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:59 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
No one call make that decision for you but do you really want to return to a state that is falling into bankruptcy and that may soon run out of water? It may be dry and hot here now but it will rain again but that isn't such a certainty in California. The economic conditions in CA are driving businesses away so the job situation can't get anything but worse. Sadly, a huge percentage of whatever meager funds still remain in CA are going to support social, educational and medical services for "residents" that aren't even legal citizens. Is that really your idea of Nirvana? Your call...
The OP needs to be careful since the prices could fluctuate.

Red--the quotes on residents is an example why nationalism has destroyed the local community with its unhealthy overview of everything in general happening between the coasts instead of one's community. Wal-Mart and cookie-cutter suburbia are what nationalism brought through concept of "economies of scale."

Don't forget the other transplants--primarily from the Midwest--who continue to clog up California.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:18 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
Maybe in Alhambra the real estate values are about the same as Houston.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:24 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default Economy getting worse, not better....

There is something to be said about job security right now. If you work from home, then you can live anywhere you choose, but if you are gainfully employed, why roll the dice with your paycheck? You still have the state income tax in California, and that won't be going down, never. In fact, to make up the shortfall, expect to pay more taxes in California.

CA has a huge population, when the economy is good, so is the fiscal health of the state, but when job losses continue to increase, you are left with the same population, but less income to the state, and even those that do remain will not spend as usual, dealing yet another blow to tax revenue to the state. Guess who will be paying more to make up the difference?

So, you can be guaranteed to pay more taxes to fill in the gaps as much as can be supported by the people. And when things get good again, don't expect your taxes to be lowered, liberal states do not do that as a rule, but you can "hope".

Old 07-03-2009, 12:52 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
Maybe in Alhambra the real estate values are about the same as Houston.

He was probably comparing some filthy place in the Central Valley vs. a convenient spot in-town.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:09 PM

407 posts, read 1,736,101 times
I would disagree that the higher wage in CA offsets the higher cost of housing. Been there, done that and it didn't work (in Silicon Valley and that was a salary at Apple).

Old 07-03-2009, 01:33 PM

684 posts, read 2,109,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
There is something to be said about job security right now. If you work from home, then you can live anywhere you choose, but if you are gainfully employed, why roll the dice with your paycheck? You still have the state income tax in California, and that won't be going down, never. In fact, to make up the shortfall, expect to pay more taxes in California.

CA has a huge population, when the economy is good, so is the fiscal health of the state, but when job losses continue to increase, you are left with the same population, but less income to the state, and even those that do remain will not spend as usual, dealing yet another blow to tax revenue to the state. Guess who will be paying more to make up the difference?

So, you can be guaranteed to pay more taxes to fill in the gaps as much as can be supported by the people. And when things get good again, don't expect your taxes to be lowered, liberal states do not do that as a rule, but you can "hope".
Yep.....pretty much wraps that up....and because of California's economic woes, this year the sales tax was increased 1.25%, vehicle registration fees went sky high (which is ironic, since the "governator's" base platform to oust Gray Davis and win the election, was that he was going to reverse Davis' tripling of DMV fees....which he did....for the moment..) Important services necessary for the security of CA residents,i.e. police, firefighters, etc have been drastically cut waaaay back.

And you are right on two more counts:

We, and most people we know, have pulled our spending back, which reduces state tax revenue. No matter what the sales tax rate is, 100 % of nothing is still nothing. And we are being squeezed on what we do spend.

In "good times", the state does not roll back the tax rate...don't get me started again on the liberal crackheads running the state and the state budget

More good news....it is becoming more and more likely that CA will be "paying"
for awhile in IOU's instead of dead presidents...

I know *I* am feeling the love.....

Old 07-03-2009, 01:47 PM

38 posts, read 122,977 times
I just had a chance to go back myself about a month ago. After crunching the numbers, decided to stay. I'm originally from the los angeles area.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:54 PM

94 posts, read 278,070 times
I am moving the opposite way. I guess we can trade our spot on the census
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston