Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:00 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,570,155 times

Advertisements

It is funny everyone in this thread thinks sharpstown is a bad area which it is not just a little down the street Fondren South West is much worse driver around Fondren @ West Bellfort after drak & you will say Shaprstown is not bad at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 06:08 PM

247 posts, read 737,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I think the real question is the following: Who gets hassled more? A white Sugar Land resident driving around Sharpstown in their brand new BMW or a black Sharpstown resident driving around Sugar Land in a late model car?
Sugar Land is no lily white bubble. It is one of the most ethnically diverse cities I have ever seen. Visit the First Colony spray park at Austin Parkway. It is like taking your child to play at the UN. It is also economically diverse and doesn't really fit the 100 percent wealthy, stereotype very well.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:22 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy/Artist/Lawyer View Post
Sugar Land is no lily white bubble. It is one of the most ethnically diverse cities I have ever seen. Visit the First Colony spray park at Austin Parkway. It is like taking your child to play at the UN. It is also economically diverse and doesn't really fit the 100 percent wealthy, stereotype very well.
Do you really think all those people are from Sugar Land? Go to Eldridge Park some night if you want to see even more diversity. The thing is, more than half of those people who visit Eldridge Park are from Alief, Towne West etc. The same is true with that water park. Many are from Meadows, Alief, Missouri City and so forth. Sugar Land isn't really that ethnically diverse. It's about 60 percent white, 5 percent black, 8 percent Hispanic and everyone else is Asian. Seeing that the Houston area is 40 percent Hispanic and 25 percent black, the aforementioned numbers are rather low. Furthermore, a huge amount of the minorities in Sugar Land live north of 90.

If Sugar Land is such a "Let's all hold hands and sing Kumbaya My Lord" kind of town, why is it that Sugar Land Middle and Kempner High are regarded as being far inferior to Clements and Austin?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:16 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
So I was driving around, went all the way down Bellfort to the Beltway and beyond, then came up Bissonnet all the way to Chimney Rock, then turned around and went the other way on Beechnut before coming up Bellaire, right in front of Sharpstown Mall.

I'm still alive.

The most dangerous thing I saw was a wreck on Bellfort at 59. Didn't actually see it happen, just the aftermath.

So I come to the conclusion that driving to the Best Buy or whatever at Sharpstown from wherever you are is probably more dangerous than actually going in and getting the TV.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:36 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
Hmmmm...I see that I started rambling about Sears when the OP was talking about Best Buy...sorry about that. Must be tired...

Old 07-07-2009, 11:25 PM

47 posts, read 142,395 times
For its enormous size, Houston is a surprisingly safe city. According to the 2008 metropolitan crime rankings, Houston is 34th, behind such cities as San Francisco, Orlando and Charlotte. I, too live in sugar land....... just moved here, and work every day in Houston. Its ok..... you should feel safe going to ANY suburban Houston Best Buy.............of course unless there's one out on Harrisburg @ Navigation....thats not exactly suburban, however.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
So I was driving around, went all the way down Bellfort to the Beltway and beyond, then came up Bissonnet all the way to Chimney Rock, then turned around and went the other way on Beechnut before coming up Bellaire, right in front of Sharpstown Mall.

I'm still alive.

The most dangerous thing I saw was a wreck on Bellfort at 59. Didn't actually see it happen, just the aftermath.

So I come to the conclusion that driving to the Best Buy or whatever at Sharpstown from wherever you are is probably more dangerous than actually going in and getting the TV.
whatever you do, stay where you are................forever.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Sure, they do. When my husband and I were house hunting in Pearland, all our friends and colleagues who are native to Houston were adamant that we shouldn't buy a house there. Pearland is wildly unpopular with a lot of people who have lived here for 20+ years...they think it is a terrible place plagued with awful crime. I've noticed that newcomers to Houston have a much higher opinion of Pearland, though...
Pearland has no soul.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:06 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,830,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmoses View Post
.........of course unless there's one out on Harrisburg @ Navigation....thats not exactly suburban, however.
Bah humbug! I am eating at El Jardin at Harrisburg and Navigation far more often than is healthy for me, (enough that they bring me our usual drinks right when we sit down, that is probably not a good thing) & I've lived to tell about it.

No worries.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:09 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmoses View Post
whatever you do, stay where you are................forever.
Sorry there buddy, staying in one place isn't something I do very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston