Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 PM

851 posts, read 3,626,599 times

Advertisements

How difficult (cost) is it to turn this type of kitchen vent (picture 1) to hooded vent (picture 2)? Behind that stupid microwave, it's the outside wall of the house.

Picture 1
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g9/TheStupid_2006/DSC_0049.jpg (broken link)

Picture 2
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g9/TheStupid_2006/DSC_0098.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 09:27 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
How difficult (cost) is it to turn this type of kitchen vent (picture 1) to hooded vent (picture 2)? Behind that stupid microwave, it's the outside wall of the house.

Picture 1

Picture 2
I don't know, but that sure is a neat-looking installation in Picture 2.

Suggestion: Home Depot and Lowe's have classes on that sort of thing if you want to DIY. Me, I'd hire it done (I'm not good with projects like that).

Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,959 times
I'm guessing by those photos the materials cost somewhere between two and five hundred dollars. Maybe less, but not likely more. The higher end would be because it had to be fabricated if the size is unusual. I'd do it myself (DIY projects are my own personal zen) and wouldn't pay anything extra for the labor, but who knows what kinds of special tools I'd need to purchase along the way. You may come out even just hiring someone to do the work for you.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I'm guessing by those photos the materials cost somewhere between two and five hundred dollars. Maybe less, but not likely more. The higher end would be because it had to be fabricated if the size is unusual. I'd do it myself (DIY projects are my own personal zen) and wouldn't pay anything extra for the labor, but who knows what kinds of special tools I'd need to purchase along the way. You may come out even just hiring someone to do the work for you.
How difficult (cost) to punch a hole through the wall? or does it just go all the way up to the ceiling?

Old 07-08-2009, 10:10 AM

95 posts, read 438,383 times
judging from your picture, you will not be able to go through the ceiling unless you plan on building a box around the exhaust pipe to conceal it. this is based on the vaulted ceiling in your breakfast area, i am guessing the cabinets do NOT touch the ceiling. to get the venthood in your second pic, you would have to remove the micro cabinet and create a hole through your exterior wall and elbow the pipe down to your venthood. also it looks like you have crown molding on your cabinets. many compact venthoods can replace where your microwave is now without removing the cabinet, instead drilling a hole for the pipe. what is the exterior material of your home, brick, siding, stucco?

Old 07-08-2009, 10:20 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStupid View Post
How difficult (cost) to punch a hole through the wall? or does it just go all the way up to the ceiling?
Your current microwave vent already has a hole. Open those cabinet doors above the microwave and you're likely to see the conduit/chimney. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, and I am not intending to sound like a pompous jerk, but if you need to ask a question like that, you should probably either not tackle this project alone, or you should buy an instruction book with extensive details. You shouldn't entrust the results of this job to the spotty advice you'll receive here.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:55 AM

The exterior is Brick Veneer, Cement Board - if that means anything to you. How much does punching a hole through the wall cost? Just roughly? would that create other problems for the house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijk keo View Post
judging from your picture, you will not be able to go through the ceiling unless you plan on building a box around the exhaust pipe to conceal it. this is based on the vaulted ceiling in your breakfast area, i am guessing the cabinets do NOT touch the ceiling. to get the venthood in your second pic, you would have to remove the micro cabinet and create a hole through your exterior wall and elbow the pipe down to your venthood. also it looks like you have crown molding on your cabinets. many compact venthoods can replace where your microwave is now without removing the cabinet, instead drilling a hole for the pipe. what is the exterior material of your home, brick, siding, stucco?

Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Your current microwave vent already has a hole. Open those cabinet doors above the microwave and you're likely to see the conduit/chimney. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, and I am not intending to sound like a pompous jerk, but if you need to ask a question like that, you should probably either not tackle this project alone, or you should buy an instruction book with extensive details. You shouldn't entrust the results of this job to the spotty advice you'll receive here.
I don't intend to do this myself. I just want to know a ballpark cost so that i can factor that in my overall cost. Is it a $2000 job or $5000? I know the vent system itself costs about $1000, so is another $1000 enough for the labor?

the microwave has this marvelous recirculating vent - don't know what kind of stupid design that is. there's no pipe or conduit through the cabinet - those are real cabinet on top.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:54 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
The best answer here is as one person said: dont take the spotty advice given here. You could find better advice in the HOUSE and INTERIOR DESIGN forums but there are also a lot of those who try to be helpfull there too but could not explain a can opener.

Your answer is it cost the price of the new hood vent. Are you keeping that same cabinet above? If so I assume the 6" vent pipe is inside that cabinet or maybe you just have recirculating with no vent pipe. The 6" vent pipe is the same on a micro and a hood vent and located in the same spot.

So it sounds like your asking if you can just do a swap from the micro to the hood vent, any hood vent. Yes. Labor should not be over $100 and most appliance companies offer free installation if you buy their appliance. Not cheap stuff and even if it's cheap like a Sharp brand the install cost will be very miminal. Your only issue is the unfinished wall behind the micro which is 16" tall and most hoods are 7" tall.

Why are people talking about punching a hole to the outside? Even if you have a ventless recirculating micro, adding the venting hood duct to the outside is simple and miniumal in cost.

If that micro still works then put it on Craigslist where you can fetch an easy $50.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:05 PM

95 posts, read 438,383 times
Quote:
Your current microwave vent already has a hole. Open those cabinet doors above the microwave and you're likely to see the conduit/chimney.

not necessarily. i think if the microwave was already vente to the exterior, 'the stupid' would have already seen it. my guess is the microwave recirculates air instead of venting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston