Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:59 PM

16 posts, read 80,969 times

Advertisements

I am a 26yr old, black female. No children, tho my boyfriend has a daughter that lives in Alabama. My bf and I have been thinking about moving from Michigan for quit some time but now we are almost positive that January 2008 we are heading to Houston, TX. We currently reside and was born and raised in Pontiac, MI. I hear all of these bad things about Houston but I know there is no place that can scare me away after living in Detroit. I am currently working in finance, investments, residential loans. I would like to stay in that field. I have no degree but I am attending University of Phoenix and praying I can graduate asap. My bf also has no degree. He also has a felony. Not only are there no jobs in MI but with a felony, it is impossible. He is a good person and has changed his life around for the better. We want to start fresh. If you have any suggestions as to what zip code or area that has nice apartments. We look forward to owning a home but we would like to rent for a year or so before we make any final decisions. Also, do you know of any jobs that are not as hard on exfelons? All information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to everyone in advance and ILL SEE YOU IN JANUARY, TEXAS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 04:08 PM

12 posts, read 56,632 times
Your best bet for finding jobs is probably to use a head hunting service. The company I work for uses a head hunter exclusively, some of the people hired for administrative positions do not have degrees, but the reference of a head hunter gives us security knowing that they pass a background check... which brings us to your bf, he might not be able to find something in a 'corporate' position right off, but he might be able to get on at a small business where he would work closely with the owner. I actually worked in a jewelry store once with a felon who was convicted of robbery, but we worked directly with the owner who was able to amend his policy on an individual basis.

good luck finding apartments... if you find anything affordable let me know, I too am trying to figure out a good place for young couples.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:15 AM

42 posts, read 240,140 times
Just curious as to what "bad things" about Houston you have heard...

oh and you should check thegreensheet.com for jobs and places to rent/buy (its the main classified newspaper here)

there are two parts of town that I do NOT recommend though...the southwest and the north...happy hunting =)

Old 04-20-2007, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,958 times
Yes The Southwest May Have Some Bad Points, But It Has It Has Good Points To. So I Suggest That You Get A Apartment Finder Book, They Have Rates, Apartments, Etc. By Law You Can Ask The Complex Where You Are Looking At To Show You There Property Stats. If They Dont Want To Tell You, Or Show You Then There Is Something Wrong With That Apartment Moderator cut: advertising

Old 04-20-2007, 02:18 PM

16 posts, read 80,969 times
Default hello all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am just me View Post
Just curious as to what "bad things" about Houston you have heard...

oh and you should check thegreensheet.com for jobs and places to rent/buy (its the main classified newspaper here)

Thanks, that is really help full...im going to check that out, asap!

there are two parts of town that I do NOT recommend though...the southwest and the north...happy hunting =)
Well, majority of the things I have heard of Houston was from this forum...I dont know anyone in Houston. Matter of fact, I do not know anyone that lives in Texas. I've heard of how the crime is horrible. Read stories of how immigrants are treated. And not to mention...the million of stories I have heard about the individuals from NO, LA...

The heart warming side of it all is for every bad thing I heard there was the nicest person on there saying how everyone is welcomed and Houston is such a warm place. Then, Ill read how everyone seems to be friendly, etc. So, you really never know. We are planning a trip this summer for Houston. We are looking to try to stay an entire week...we will see then how everyone treats us.

Why not the southwest and the north??? Is the crime high? I've heard alot about the south but at the same time that is where my spending limit is at...

Last edited by Ms.Flye; 04-20-2007 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: had my notes in the area where the quote i was responding to was at...had to move msg to the end.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:35 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Flye View Post
I am a 26yr old, black female. No children, tho my boyfriend has a daughter that lives in Alabama. My bf and I have been thinking about moving from Michigan for quit some time but now we are almost positive that January 2008 we are heading to Houston, TX. We currently reside and was born and raised in Pontiac, MI. I hear all of these bad things about Houston but I know there is no place that can scare me away after living in Detroit. I am currently working in finance, investments, residential loans. I would like to stay in that field. I have no degree but I am attending University of Phoenix and praying I can graduate asap. My bf also has no degree. He also has a felony. Not only are there no jobs in MI but with a felony, it is impossible. He is a good person and has changed his life around for the better. We want to start fresh. If you have any suggestions as to what zip code or area that has nice apartments. We look forward to owning a home but we would like to rent for a year or so before we make any final decisions. Also, do you know of any jobs that are not as hard on exfelons? All information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks to everyone in advance and ILL SEE YOU IN JANUARY, TEXAS!!!
Well listen to you sista girl! No, but it's good to hear you both are starting on a clean slate. How much were you looking spend for living?

Old 04-21-2007, 12:08 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel sent to help View Post
Yes The Southwest May Have Some Bad Points, But It Has It Has Good Points To. So I Suggest That You Get A Apartment Finder Book, They Have Rates, Apartments, Etc. By Law You Can Ask The Complex Where You Are Looking At To Show You There Property Stats. If They Dont Want To Tell You, Or Show You Then There Is Something Wrong With That Apartment If You Need A Good Realtor Then Call Me At 832-244-0475 Ms. Sharp
Alief is a very good part of the city of Houston/Harris County. Trust me, I grew up there. Sharpstown is also another choice to consider. Buy there before it starts getting revitalized into another Memorial City/Villages.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Flye View Post
Well, majority of the things I have heard of Houston was from this forum...I dont know anyone in Houston. Matter of fact, I do not know anyone that lives in Texas. I've heard of how the crime is horrible. Read stories of how immigrants are treated. And not to mention...the million of stories I have heard about the individuals from NO, LA...

The heart warming side of it all is for every bad thing I heard there was the nicest person on there saying how everyone is welcomed and Houston is such a warm place. Then, Ill read how everyone seems to be friendly, etc. So, you really never know. We are planning a trip this summer for Houston. We are looking to try to stay an entire week...we will see then how everyone treats us.

Why not the southwest and the north??? Is the crime high? I've heard alot about the south but at the same time that is where my spending limit is at...
okay a couple things I'd like to respond to...

the crime is not horrible...Houston is a humongous city...only certain areas have bad crime (sw/n/etc.) and they are easy to spot...

immigrants are not treated badly here...that's a bunch of bull...to be honest with you, I firmly believe that they get treated a whole hell of a lot better than poor/underclass native Houstonians...

now about people from NO...what kinds of stories? because baby i was in the thick of it when those buses starting dropping people off across the street from my old job...it was a mix of feeling sorry for them and feeling sorry for the city of Houston (all at the same time)...it was just something that you had to witness for yourself to understand or comprehend...

AND FINALLY...

the south and the southwest are two different parts of town...yes Houston is THAT big...there is also a southeast part of town
now don't get me wrong there are decent parts to every area of Houston but I just wouldn't recommend those areas due to personal experiences I've had...

I've spent the majority of my time in Houston as a Texas Southern student living in third ward (I now live in the clear lake/webster area)...
and as long as you can steer clear of the "bad" part and newly emancipated 18 and 19 year old college students (I like to refer to the areas they frequent or reside in as "the zoo"...because it is as if someone had a bunch of caged up, sheltered animals and then one day decided to let them loose upon the world...ie...parents who shelter their children all their life and then expect them to be able to function properly in the real world upon high school graduation..what a laugh! people who shelter their kids from real life should be reported to CPS in order to spare society from having to do their job for them later on...off topic I know but it had to be said! )

Old 04-21-2007, 08:59 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,374 times
i am just one,

What's the problem with college kids? I though places (apartmetns) where college kids live are relatively safe due to the fact that they are not criminals.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
i am just one,

What's the problem with college kids? I though places (apartmetns) where college kids live are relatively safe due to the fact that they are not criminals.
i am a college "kid"...

and my problem lies with previously sheltered 18 and 19 years olds whose parents ruled every aspect of their lives and then let them go out into the world after they graduated high school...

i hate dorms and university housing...

lots of drugs, immature children "going wild" because they have finally gotten away from mommy and daddy, among other things...
my friend had her university apartment broken into by another student she knew from the complex and guess what they stole?
...pictures!
who the hell picks a lock just to break up a few things and steal pictures of other people? just retarded...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston