Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:23 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,573 times

Advertisements

I have read through this thread and here's what I've picked up on....

1) Apparently a small lil 7mi. Rail Line is a big deal
2) Memorial Park Rocks(which it does)
3) Theater/ballet is apparently a must see
4) Medical Center is more than just a series of Hospitals and research Centers(which it isnt)
5) Looking at other peoples houses constitutes as "something to do"
6) Evidently, Houston is a "gem" that has been hiding from the eyes of the Nation

These were just my observations....

It all depends on what type of things the OP is looking for.. but if its flashy, glamorous, and cosmopolitan then there might be a shortage of that.
Houston is very mundane and down to earth... which is what most families desire.

So again... "Houston is someplace to live not to visit"
Thats a fact... so please dont try to disguise it as something to keep Houston a "gem"

As a resident of Houston.. you should want to put Houston on the world stage as not only an "energy capital" but as a city on the whole. Which encompasses everything that both the young and old enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 07:46 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Well, apparently the OP's interests may well be different from yours, EE. Not that you've really shared your interests with us.

There's no telling what you might find when you come visit, sweetcityluvn. Too bad you're only spending a day here.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:33 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post

4) Medical Center is more than just a series of Hospitals and research Centers(which it isnt)
6) Evidently, Houston is a "gem" that has been hiding from the eyes of the Nation

It all depends on what type of things the OP is looking for.. but if its flashy, glamorous, and cosmopolitan then there might be a shortage of that.
Houston is very mundane and down to earth... which is what most families desire.

Thats a fact... so please dont try to disguise it as something to keep Houston a "gem"

As a resident of Houston.. you should want to put Houston on the world stage as not only an "energy capital" but as a city on the whole. Which encompasses everything that both the young and old enjoy.
The 7 mile rail is a big deal for those who work in the medical center as well as those who like to take the easy route into the medical center or Hermann park or Rice University or the University of Houston Downtown or Downtown HCC or to just to sit in an air conditioned light rail train and glide through downtown into the museum district. Man O man how unappreciative of the "lil" small light rail that is a major improvement for public transportation in Downtown Houston and the Medical Center and thankfully is about to get bigger. I as well as many others have saved so much time and money while studying in the medical center and working in the medical center thanks to the light rail! Never would have used the word mundane to describe Houston. It is too bad you don’t know how to enjoy or appreciate a city like Houston! You can't get down that 7 mile track quicker in car! If you had to rely on that rail 5 days a week for getting into and out of the medical center or any of the schools mentioned you would be thankful indeed!

Last edited by TVC15; 07-13-2009 at 09:06 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 11:19 PM

57 posts, read 124,682 times
As someone who studies cities as my career field, I think I would enjoy going to malls, skyscrapers, riding the light rail system, and seeing some the Houstonian clubs/restaurants verses seeing the Alamo, Riverwalk, or whatever else San Antonio has to offer. San Antonio I am guessing is more historic of the two cities. I want a cosmopolitan feel, not looking for museums and historic sites as much. A place to say "this is the capital of Texas culture". Crap...maybe that is San Antonio...lol!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcityluvn View Post
As someone who studies cities as my career field, I think I would enjoy going to malls, skyscrapers, riding the light rail system, and seeing some the Houstonian clubs/restaurants verses seeing the Alamo, Riverwalk, or whatever else San Antonio has to offer. San Antonio I am guessing is more historic of the two cities. I want a cosmopolitan feel, not looking for museums and historic sites as much. A place to say "this is the capital of Texas culture". Crap...maybe that is San Antonio...lol!
San Antonio has the Alamo but the decisive battle in the Texas Revolution was fought near Houston, around present-day Deer Park where there's Battleground Park and the San Jacinto Monument (which people tend to forget about, and you can go up top there too). Houston's got more of the cosmopolitan thing going though. San Antonio is more "Texas" while Houston is more international in scope. The port and the oil industry are a big part of that.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:40 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
The San Jacinto Monument is larger than the Washington Monument! A must see if you havent been

Old 07-14-2009, 07:18 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post

I'm curious how much travelling you've actually done. And, I'm curious what kind of a tourist you are. Are you the Disneyland/Las Vegas type of tourist, or are you the Alaska/Africa type of tourist? Do you visit some place and say, "Here we are now, entertain us.", or do you visit and say, "Here we are now, time to explore."? If you go around expecting your entertainment prepackaged and diluted for mass consumption, then you're absolutely correct: Houston is not for you.

Also, this: "'Houston is someplace to live not to visit'" is not a fact. This is an opinion, a completely unsupportable opinion at that.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:57 AM

298 posts, read 954,849 times
Seven miles of rail is a huge deal when you look at how we had to get it (busting through the ideals of the likes of Bob Lanier back to Oscar Holcombe, etc).

At its peak, Houston had 90 miles of street rail track. In 1939 it dwindled to less than 43, and service came to a halt on June 9, 1940 - Houston was the largest city in the United States without any kind of street rail. By 1942 (mainly in effort to get the steel for wartime industry) the tracks were all removed.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Also, this: "'Houston is someplace to live not to visit'" is not a fact. This is an opinion, a completely unsupportable opinion at that.
Well, for the reasons you mentioned Houston isn't really geared for the instant-gratification tourist. Which is fine with me.

When you go to a restaurant here, with some exceptions (Downtown Aquarium springs to mind) it's about substance - they want repeat business from locals and frequent business travelers. They're not serving subpar food, hanging their hat on "atmosphere" knowing full well they can take your money and never see you again. "Tourist trap" cities are rife with these.

Downtown Houston (and the city as a whole) may not be "touristy" but it's authentic, it's not trying to be what everyone else wants but being what it is instead, and I think that's what our friend is looking for.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:41 AM

57 posts, read 124,682 times
Finally reserved my room at the Hyatt Regency in downtown. Probably will go to the Galleria, JP Morgan Tower observation deck, ride the light rail, go to Hermann Park / Houston Zoo, maybe the medical center area, and the clubs / restaurants in downtown. Sounds like a plan, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston