Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 04:59 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,435,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdulf View Post
They do blow out from time to time, requiring utility workers to get into your backyard.
Just a few months back, I was driving by one when it blew. Quite spectacular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 05:06 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,456,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhui View Post
Hello All,
I really need your expertise on the Electrical Transformers. There is wooden pole with three transformers (The look like those big garbage cans)hanging on it behind my backyard. The estimate distance is about 60ft from my bed room. They are grey color. The biggest one has the number "100" on it. The other two have the number "75". I can't locate anymore info on the body of the transformers. My wife is really concern about the EMF(radiations) produce from them. If my wife is pregnant, should we concern about the EMF? Your responses are greatly appreciated!!!
Thank You,
Bing
We've all had them in our backyards or near our homes for many decades. No known harm from them that I'm aware of. You likely are exposed to more danger from your cell phone emissions. The highwires carry the really high voltage. Once it goes through the transformers it's the same voltage running throughout your home. 110/230 volts.

If you ever have a transformer explode near your home then by all means stay indoors and shut all windows. Just in case it was an old transformer that still contains PCB's a very toxic substance.

BTW, the large cartridge fuses (that disconnect power when overloaded) have explosive charges that are quite loud when set off.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:50 PM

87 posts, read 174,041 times
i've noticed a lot of newer houses all have a transformer box in their yards or a yard near by. The power comes from the power lines, into the ground and to a transformer in the ground. From there the power runs underground to your house. Even if the house is no where near above ground power lines, the are all around you underground to give you and neighbors power. So even if you don't see them they are there.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:58 PM

243 posts, read 796,012 times
you people are freaking out over nothing. electricity doesn't produce radiation. it does produce a magnetic field, but it doesn't harm you unless you become part of the path (get shocked). how do you think we electricians work on stuff? alot of times we work on it energized. there has never been anyone i know of that has died from just being around electricity. getting shocked is one thing. but magnetic field.........c'mon, man!

Old 10-23-2013, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 20,153 times
My break room has this big grey metal container I think is a transformer it says high boltage it's a Siemens catalog #3f3y300 I was wondering if this is bad off my health by being near it if so please email me @ sbracamontes82@gmail.com thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston