Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:32 PM

78 posts, read 290,301 times

Advertisements

As a future high school teacher (or middle school teacher), are Houston public high schools violent?

Fights happen at every school but are stabbings, slashings, baseball bats (the really violent stuff) fairly common (aka not rare) at Houston public schools.

Because I'm reading a thread (on another website) about this kid that got slashed at a high school in Toronto and these other posters (high school age) are mentioning similar violent incidents at their high schools.

I don't read about this sort of HS violence on the Houston Chronicle website but maybe HS incidents don't get the attention of the Chronicle.

Last edited by xmod; 02-10-2009 at 08:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 01:50 AM

4 posts, read 13,802 times
Well maybe in the poor neighborhoods but not in one of the well-off subrubs like Clear Lake or Friendswood etc.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:52 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,687,192 times
Not in the well-off neighborhoods in the city either.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:07 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Not in the well-off neighborhoods in the city either.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:29 AM

78 posts, read 290,301 times
Hmm..... not much new in these posts (wow, the more affluent neighborhoods are less violent....I never would have figured).

But the posts are telling in this respect....

Without much in the way of specific examples (like 'well, some kid at xyz high school was stabbed in a fight last year' or 'some kids at abc high school were suspended for beating a kid unconcious), it seems (at least initially) like Houston area HS are pretty safe relative to high schools in other US urban centers.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:32 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
I pretty sure I remember that one High School in Cypress that was voted one of the 5 most violent ( or most troubled) in the US, or TX, a couple years back. I forget the name.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:49 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
The day to day violence & 'socially unacceptable' behavior is going to be less in well off areas vs. the poor schools. Unfortunately the ghetto schools are usually the ones that need the teachers. Very tolerant ones indeed.

Our HS had issues with suicides back in the day, as did one in Katy recently. But at least when we killed ourselves, it wasn't in the cafeteria. Well, we didn't have kids on the current drugs of Corporate America, either.

Wasn't Columbine in a fairly well-off area?

Old 02-20-2009, 12:51 PM

16 posts, read 58,411 times
We certainly have gangs and gang members in our schools, but they aren't the behavior problems, believe it or not. The true gang members, other than possible dress-code violators, usually fly wayyyy under the radar behavior-wise. Coming from a teacher who has taught in the SE part of Houston, the majority of problems we had were from kids who were wanna-bes, or were trying to show how macho they were. Even still, majority of fights were fists only on campus. Very, very few otherwise. I can count them on about 2 fingers, actually.

Best of luck!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:01 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,619,141 times
I don't know, but I interviewed at Jordan High School some years ago and got a job offer but had to turn it down because my father passed away right at the time I got the offer, had to go back home to take care of things. Then a few months later I turned to the Houston newspaper and saw a report of a couple Jordan High School girls got shot at while waiting for a bus outside their school.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:04 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,291,606 times
no they are not violent and I worked in Aldine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: