Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:40 PM

448 posts, read 1,588,169 times

Advertisements

or you can become certified to teach. You can be a substitute without certification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 02:24 PM

84 posts, read 205,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
or you can become certified to teach. You can be a substitute without certification.
That's actually a very useful suggestion.

When I finished law school, I had an incredibly hard time finding a job (it didn't help that I never wanted to work at a firm). I faced the same challenges as the OP in being overqualified for a number of positions. I lost out on jobs with temp agencies because, despite the fact that I can type over 70 wpm at 98% accuracy, nobody wants to hire a male admin assistant with a law degree. I got a job delivering pizzas, but they couldn't give me enough hours to make it worthwhile (barely paid for gas and food, forget rent). So I actually took a job teaching out in California (one that didn't require being certified).

I've also done "day laborer" type work for a living (summers while in college and law school), and while it's not bad, it's nothing you can build a career on.
To the OP: you should look into substitute teaching, and while doing that, go online and start submitting your resume--but before submitting your resume, make sure it's polished and pretty! Any major corporation you can think of will have employment opportunities listed on their home page, and you can submit a resume and application directly to the department that has the opening you are interested in.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:25 PM

84 posts, read 205,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikku View Post
That's actually a very useful suggestion.

When I finished law school, I had an incredibly hard time finding a job (it didn't help that I never wanted to work at a firm). I faced the same challenges as the OP in being overqualified for a number of positions. I lost out on jobs with temp agencies because, despite the fact that I can type over 70 wpm at 98% accuracy, nobody wants to hire a male admin assistant with a law degree. I got a job delivering pizzas, but they couldn't give me enough hours to make it worthwhile (barely paid for gas and food, forget rent). So I actually took a job teaching out in California (one that didn't require being certified).

I've also done "day laborer" type work for a living (summers while in college and law school), and while it's not bad, it's nothing you can build a career on.
To the OP: you should look into substitute teaching, and while doing that, go online and start submitting your resume--but before submitting your resume, make sure it's polished and pretty! Any major corporation you can think of will have employment opportunities listed on their home page, and you can submit a resume and application directly to the department that has the opening you are interested in.
Also, don't be discouraged by the fact that the majority of jobs right now are "temporary" or contract work. A number of those jobs can be leveraged into better, permanent positions, if you prove yourself.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:30 PM

9 posts, read 29,069 times
What about going to a head-hunter? I have used head-hunters, when I was searching for jobs in the oil/gas industry. I would think they would have them for business/finance related jobs, too.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:15 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times
Another thing, even if it doesn't apply to the OP it can apply to others here in this thread, if you have a disability then go to DARS. They can write up a career plan, help you with job fairs, resumes, etc they can help if you are able to graduate high school, college, technical school, they can help if you are trying to enter the work force, etc. something to consider.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stdspk View Post
Bachelor of Business Administration, major in General Business, minor in management

Master of Business Administration, Specialization in Finance

Accredited State University (brick and morter, not an online program)

I'm getting interviews, but I always have so much competition. During my last job interview, the interviewer had commented I was the last of 35 people chosen for an interview for the position. These 34 other people were chosen from the hundreds of resumes submitted. Among so many people, someone is bound to beat my credentials since I only have about 3 years professional work experience.

On a number of occasions, the job which I was interviewing for was closed, as in never filled because management decided they could not afford to staff the position. Quite a few employers are only able to offer short contract positions. The last employer who wanted to add me could only afford to hire me for ONE week. I do have interviewing skills, but the economy seems not to be ready for me yet.
Finance is a extremely difficult field to break into right now especially with the deep talent pool and lack of positions. Believe it or not, even recent HBS graduates I know are unemployed right now.

Have you tried using a headhunter, directly emailing, or cold calling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston