Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:37 PM

19 posts, read 94,504 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Ok, let me get to the point right away. I have been a native NJ resident all my life. I am ready for a change and a new beginning. I am seriously contemplating about moving to Houston. I have never been there but from what people tell me I am absolutely convinced that it would be a good move. But before I make any move, I want an honest opinion from my fellow Pakistanis in Houston. To put things in perspective ,here's what I like about NJ (from a Pakistani Muslim standpoint):

1) I have a huge family presence in NJ/NY/CT. Something that I may miss when I move to Houston. But frequent visits from Houston and the large Pakistani community there may put that in balance. Remember, being close to family has both its advantages and disadvantages. (My parents have migrated back to Pakistan, but they visit every year)

2) NJ is conveniently located between NYC and Philadelphia that allows for better career opportunities, a great mix of culture and activities.
3) Large Pakistani population makes us feel we are home away from home. Though I was born and raised in the US. I have spent close to 7 years in Karachi, Pakistani. So I really miss the Karachi feel. The people, the late nights, food!!, friends, gup shup, etc. NJ doesn’t even come close to that but it gives me a decent dose of it.
4) A great variety of Halal Restaurants
5) Mosques are located almost everywhere
6) Regular Pakistani and Muslim events
Here’s why I want to move out of NJ:
1) High property taxes
2) High Auto Insurance
3) High cost of living
4) The most corrupt state in the nation
5) Harsh weather during the winters
6) Old and deteriorating infrastructure
7) Huge pollution problem
8) Below average school systems. I don’t have kids yet but something to consider for the future.
9) Lack of a proper and standardized Islamic school system. When I have kids I want to ensure that they get acquainted with the religion from the beginning.
10) Basically, as much as I love NJ , I’ve begun to hate it even more. I just want to move out and start from scratch.
People in the Northeast (including myself) have a huge ego problem. They think that the Northeast is everything. They make fun and joke about other states. People in the NE are generally rude and always on the run as if there is no tomorrow. Stress levels are really high here. We have what we call a New York hangover. No doubt, NYC is one the best cities in the world but just because you live close to it doesn’t mean you own it. I guess it gives us free bragging rights. But guess what, we are paying a price for this fake ego of ours. I love NY but I absolutely hate this attitude we have developed here. We are Americans and we should proud of each and every state and city.
Anyways, here’s why I want to move to Houston. Like I said before, I have never been to Houston but the people who are living there especially the Pakistanis tell me the following:
1) Affordable housing, I mean I have friends there who have purchased homes the size of castles in Houston area for a ridiculously low price. I currently live in a 25 year old townhome that I purchased for almost 300k in NJ. I know I can get a pretty decent house in Houston for that kind of money. They tell me to look around in the Sugarland area?

2) Nice Pakistani/Desi Area full of restaurant and shops. Good choice of Halal restaurants all around. I guess. Hillcroft area?

3) Huge population of Karchiites!! Please don’t think I’m prejudice or something. I love all Pakistanis.

4) Houston is a newer city. It has a decent layout with a solid infrastructure

5) No Income Tax!

6) Good job market especially in the IT field.

7) I heard there are mosques everywhere

8) Pakistani Radio channel, Sangeet Radio

9) Night cricket tournaments

10) Direct flights to Pakistan and UAE.

11) Great highway system.

Couple of concerns that are still pulling me back from moving to Houston: (Please clarify them for me)
1) Lizards/Reptiles/: I heard there are lizards/reptiles/ all over the place that creep into your house just like in Pakistan due to the humidity. I have a severe phobia for lizards. I hope this is not true.
2) Hurricanes/Tornadoes/Cyclones: Is it really that bad!!
3) Why don’t you guys have basements there?
4) Weather: Is it better than the harsh winters we face up here in the North East.
5) How bad is the humidity?
6) Cowboys and homeless people are everywhere in Houston.
7) Does Houston feel Urban or Rural? I’m a more an urban guy.
8) Have the Mexicans taken over the city?
9) Crime?
10) Why are the properties so undervalued?
11) Would I develop a southern accent??
12) Is Houston too good to be true?
People, I really want to move to Houston. I need your sincere and honest opinion here. By the way I am 28 years old, happily married, and working in the IT field as a Systems Manager. I will post additional thoughts as they download in my brain Feel free to post away.
Regards.

Shahzeb

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-29-2009 at 12:15 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 04:00 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Sounds like you are slamming Houston to tell you the truth...

If your 'people' already told you about Houston, why are you asking? Don't you trust your Pakistani friends? Your post was hard to read, and it is your first post, 'sounds like you are trolling.

As for Houston, it is in much better shape than any of the three larger cities before it, and most of the nation really. It is very diverse and is reflected in many ways that are very evidentetc. Houston is very ethnic, and very welcoming. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:29 PM

160 posts, read 715,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
If your 'people' already told you about Houston, why are you asking? Don't you trust your Pakistani friends? Your post was hard to read, and it is your first post, 'sounds like you are trolling.

As for Houston, it is in much better shape than any of the three larger cities before it, and most of the nation really. It is very diverse and is reflected in many ways that are very evidentetc. Houston is very ethnic, and very welcoming. Good luck.

He only wants a Pakistani opinion... lol.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:35 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Well I'm not Paki, but I can tell you this. Here they aren't called 7/11. They are called "Valero".

Old 07-28-2009, 04:37 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,184 times
While I'm not Pakistani, I do have two Pakistani coworkers that I know pretty well. They have both spent most of their lives in the US, one being in Houston for over 20 years, and the other only about 2 years. The older one is pretty liberal in her social views, and the younger more conservative (and wears a hijab).

They are different from each other, yet have both found Houston to be a very comfortable place to live. Plenty of vegetarian options, an accepting social climate, and favorable for obtaining a professional job (they are both CPAs). I have no doubts that you will find Houston to be similarly accomodating. However, at the same time, you must be willing to make adjustments as well. This is a southern city, and the "language" is different than it is in the NE. If you come with an open mind, you will find many things to like here. If you come with a "I'm Pakistani, and you better accept me," you are apt to be disappointed by people's response. Outside of some pockets of suburbia, Houston is very much a live-and-let-live city.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:49 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Houston has one of the largest Pakistani populations. They are scattered. Lot of them in Sugar Land and Katy.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:55 PM

Lot of great Pakistani restaurents. Also we have the most Desi stations out of any ethnicity in Houston. So many cultural events.

Hilcroft is like Little Pakistan.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:26 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
There's a Pakistani consulate to the northwest of Downtown.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
There's a Pakistani consulate to the northwest of Downtown.
There is only and thats on Jones Road by 1960.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:14 PM

19 posts, read 94,504 times
Thanks very much for the reply thus far. Let me repost again . Wow, that was pretty quick.

[SIZE=2]Hi,

Ok, let me get to the point right away.  I have been a native NJ resident all my life. I am ready for a change and a new beginning. I am seriously contemplating about moving to Houston. I have never been there but from what people tell me I am absolutely convinced that it would be a good move. But before I make any move, I want an honest opinion from my fellow Pakistanis in Houston. To put things in perspective ,here's what I like about NJ (from a Pakistani Muslim standpoint):
1) I have a huge family presence in NJ/NY/CT. Something that I may miss when I move to Houston. But frequent visits from Houston and the large Pakistani community there may put that in balance. Remember, being close to family has both its advantages and disadvantages. (My parents have migrated back to Pakistan, but they visit every year)
2) NJ is conveniently located between NYC and Philadelphia that allows for better career opportunities, a great mix of culture and activities.
3) Large Pakistani population makes us feel we are home away from home. Though I was born and brought up in the US. I have spent close to 7 years in Karachi, Pakistani. So I really miss the Karachi feel. The people, the late nights, food!!, friends, gup shup, etc. NJ doesn’t even come close to that but it gives me a decent dose of it.
4) A great variety of Halal Restaurants
5) Mosques are located almost everywhere
6) Regular Pakistani and Muslime events
Here’s why I want to move out of NJ:
1) High property taxes
2) High Auto Insurance
3) High cost of living
4) The most corrupt state in the nation
5) Harsh weather during the winters
6) Old and deteriorating infrastructure
7) Huge pollution problem
8) Below average school systems. I don’t have kids yet but something to consider for the future.
9) Lack of a proper and standardized Islamic school system. When I have kids I want to ensure that they get acquainted with the religion as well from the beginning.
10) Basically, as much as I love NJ , I’ve begun to hate it even more. I just want to move out and start from scratch.
People in the Northeast (including myself) have a huge ego problem. They think that the Northeast is everything. They make fun and joke about other states. People in the NE are generally rude and always on the run as if there is no tomorrow. Stress levels are really high here. We have what we call a New York hangover. No doubt, NYC is one the best cities in the world but just because you live close to it doesn’t mean you own it. I guess it gives us free bragging rights. But guess what, we are paying a price for this fake ego of ours. I love NY but I absolutely hate this attitude we have developed here. We are Americans and we should proud of each and every state and city.
Anyways, here’s why I want to move to Houston. Like I said before, I have never been to Houston but the people who are living there especially the Pakistanis tell me the following:
1) Affordable housing, I mean I have friends there who have purchased homes the size of castles in Houston area for a ridiculously low price. I currently live in a 25 year old townhome that I purchased for almost 300k in NJ. I know I can get a pretty decent house in Houston for that kind of money. They tell me to look around in the Sugarland area?
2) Nice Pakistani/Desi Area full of restaurant and shops. Good choice of Halal restaurants all around. I guess. Hillcroft area?
3) Huge population of Karchiites!! Please don’t think I’m prejudice or something. I love all Pakistanis.
4) Houston is a newer city. It has a decent layout with a solid infrastructure
5) No Income Tax!
6) Good job market especially in the IT field.
7) I heard there are mosques everywhere
8) Pakistani Radio channel, Sangeet Radio
9) Night cricket tournaments
10) Direct flights to Pakistan and UAE.
11) Great highway system.
Couple of concerns that are still pulling me back from moving to Houston: (Please clarify them for me)
1) Lizards/Reptiles/: I heard there are lizards/reptiles/ all over the place that creep into your house just like in Pakistan due to the humidity. I have a severe phobia for lizards. I hope this is not true.
2) Hurricanes/Tornadoes/Cyclones: Is it really that bad!!
3) Why don’t you guys have basements there?
4) Weather: Is it better than the harsh winters we face up here in the North East.
5) How bad is the humidity?
6) Cowboys and homeless people are everywhere in Houston.
7) Does Houston feel Urban or Rural? I’m a more urban guy.
8) Have the Mexicans taken over the city?
9) Crime?
10) Why are the properties so undervalued?
11) Would I develop a southern accent??
12) Is Houston too good to be true?
People, I really want to move to Houston. I need your sincere and honest opinions. By the way I am 28 years old, happily married, and working in the IT field as a Systems Manager. Feel free to post away.
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: