Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 09:38 AM
CLH CLH started this thread

31 posts, read 107,754 times

Advertisements

I want to have my garage floor painted professionally. I am not a DYI with paint, no matter how easy. I am in the Richmond/Sugarland area. I am new to Texas and am totally unfamiliar with the area and any companies that specialize in garage floor painting. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. It's a 3 car garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 09:49 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
I want to have my garage floor painted professionally. I am not a DYI with paint, no matter how easy. I am in the Richmond/Sugarland area. I am new to Texas and am totally unfamiliar with the area and any companies that specialize in garage floor painting. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. It's a 3 car garage.
Garage floor painting would be really specialized. You probably want an epoxy paint product and other than that you probably want the cheapest bid. I would expect materials and labor to be in the $800 range. The phonebook will be full of painting subs who are looking for your business. Give four or five painters call (figure out the square footage of the area to be painted and have that number handy before you call) and pick your favorite bid.

Just in case you change your mind about DIY, materials would probably be in the $150 range.

Also, check out this website http://www.rd.com/how-to-apply-epoxy-floor-paint-to-your-garage/article17770.html (broken link). It has a pretty decent breakdown of how to evaluate if your garage is even suitable for epoxy and will give you an idea of whether or not the painters are bollucksing up your garage.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 07-16-2009 at 09:58 AM..

Old 07-16-2009, 11:00 AM

480 posts, read 1,698,248 times
For various reasons, I wanted polyurethane instead of epoxy. So I hired Xpedite Coatings | Home to do my garage. It is a little more expensive than epoxy, but it's more durable. Xpedite is in the BBB and gave me good customer service.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:09 PM

Timnwendy, Thanks for the suggestion. I found the website very interesting. Do you mind me asking which product you ended up using?

Old 07-16-2009, 12:37 PM

480 posts, read 1,698,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
Timnwendy, Thanks for the suggestion. I found the website very interesting. Do you mind me asking which product you ended up using?
Hmmm, Jose (owner of Xpedite) has updated his website since last September when I hired him. I guess his business is doing well. He only offered one product back then. Based on the product descriptions I read on the website, I'm 99% sure that what I got was the Isolevel coating, but he didn't use that name for it last year.

My garage has held its color and shine very well in the last 10 months. I've cleaned my garage a couple of times since then. All I have to do is mop the floor with water mixed with a cleaning solution (I just use dishwashing detergent), and the stains come right up. Also, the only stains I'm seeing are easy things like water marks. The polyurethane seems to resist tire marks very well, and those that do appear come right up when mopped.

I think you are doing the right thing by studying and comparing all your coating options. My experience is that the polyurethane coating definitely seems to be superior to epoxy, but it's considerably more expensive too. For example: I paid just under $1500 for my Xpedite treatment (and that included a $200 off coupon which I got from Jose at a home show). I could have hired an epoxy company to do the same job for about $800.

Good luck.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:05 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timnwendy View Post
Hmmm, Jose (owner of Xpedite) has updated his website since last September when I hired him. I guess his business is doing well. He only offered one product back then. Based on the product descriptions I read on the website, I'm 99% sure that what I got was the Isolevel coating, but he didn't use that name for it last year.

My garage has held its color and shine very well in the last 10 months. I've cleaned my garage a couple of times since then. All I have to do is mop the floor with water mixed with a cleaning solution (I just use dishwashing detergent), and the stains come right up. Also, the only stains I'm seeing are easy things like water marks. The polyurethane seems to resist tire marks very well, and those that do appear come right up when mopped.

I think you are doing the right thing by studying and comparing all your coating options. My experience is that the polyurethane coating definitely seems to be superior to epoxy, but it's considerably more expensive too. For example: I paid just under $1500 for my Xpedite treatment (and that included a $200 off coupon which I got from Jose at a home show). I could have hired an epoxy company to do the same job for about $800.

Good luck.
I hate to say it, but after looking at the website I'm wondering if I still want to epoxy my garage...

Old 07-16-2009, 02:21 PM

What really appealed to me was the lack of solvents and VOCs. I allergic to so many things, and have multiple chemical sensitivities, that the lack of a strong smell and off gassing really sounds like a product I would be interested in. I would love to hear from anyone else that has used Xpedite Coatings.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:29 PM

232 posts, read 701,051 times
This does look very nice...I will look into this in my next home. I am most likely moving back to Dallas (Highland Park) in 2011. I was relocated via corporate relocation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston