Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:11 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times

Advertisements

To OP:

Please join the betweenjobsministry@yahoogroups.com(Northwest Bible Church). They are very helpful in finding jobs for displaced/unemployed people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 996 times
texas7
Perhaps - but then wouldn't it be nice if we could all get refunded for the money we've paid Uncle Sam over a lifetime instead of choosing to work perhaps a menial job to support families until the job of our choice comes along - much easier to get an "entitled" refund.

Not trying to be argumentative but I guess I was raised differently - I was raised that you work - there isn't anyone out there waiting to take care of you - you take care of yourself. If you are able-bodied, you don't mooch off the government (regardless if you paid in) unless you have no choices - there are NO jobs available, you are disabled (for real - not faking it), etc. That means working 2 or 3 jobs if need be. Yes, it can be tough not to be a leech for long term. Unemployment is fine to hold you over until you find a job - but it shouldn't be there in a long term situation until the perfect job comes along. That could be a very long time.

Of course, the varying opinions on this forum and unique perspectives of everyone are what make this forum interesting

Read more: [url]//www.city-data.com/forum/houston/708257-homeless-one-week-12-month-old-6.html#ixzz0oVrmh2fL[/url]

I feel so sorry for this person, LOL I'm collecting unemployment, first time in my life in my late forties. I 've been working since 16 years old, put my self through colleged and spent the last 30 or so years saving I had a 7 figure 401, and a six figure income, then I lost my job and within a year I had a heart attack and with no insurance I had to use my life savings and retiredment to pay more than $1 million in hospital, doctor and home care. I've recoverd physically but I've lost everything I've worked for all my life. I'm not elgible for disability, sociall securty or any other helo other than unemployment, yet I've opaid more in taxes in 1 years than most people make. My average paid in yearly tax was $125,000. I'm not elgible for food stamps etc, yet Illegal aliens come to this country have a baby here and this child gets full medical medical benefits, cash assistance, housing etc and never paid a dime in the system and becuase the parent take care of this child here they too get full benefits. i could go on and on how foreigners and lazy people get all the assistance but it's not worth it,

To the person that said take any jobs to make ends meet I hope that you never ever get sick or lose your job, you will be in shock at this system that literally destroys the middle class and extends the red carpet for the lazy and immigrants. It's been three years now and I'm still in shock at how little government help there is for working Americans, and the amount of help for foreigners and large corporations,.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:50 PM

104 posts, read 359,822 times
Finding a job in Houston is NOT hard to believe. I been applying for jobs left and right and still unemployed after 9 months of being out of a job

Old 05-20-2010, 05:57 PM

9 posts, read 15,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1956 View Post
Try Home Depot. They are very good about hiring mature people and pay at least 10.00 an hour. Not great, but better than nada.
POW! I like that..I hope you all the best. Most people wont take telemarketing or customer service but if that means you guys being out on your hineys i suggest she go to the worksource and get the baby on childcare so you both of you can work. Something will come thru soon Be positive. I reccomend that your wife try working at a daycare so she can have your baby with her and you can try Lowes or Home Depot. Walmart is hiring too.. Good luck Hun

Old 05-20-2010, 06:01 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisha_amos View Post
Finding a job in Houston is NOT hard to believe. I been applying for jobs left and right and still unemployed after 9 months of being out of a job
Maybe get some job search assistance because sometimes it makes all the difference. There are free resources for this...some choices are Job Ministry Southwest or Between Jobs Ministry.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:35 PM

90 posts, read 236,843 times
This thread is a year old! If they have not sorted it out by now ...... It was cold cold winter. No idea why this thread has been bumped now.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:26 PM

61,715 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtimes View Post
texas7
Perhaps - but then wouldn't it be nice if we could all get refunded for the money we've paid Uncle Sam over a lifetime
There is nothing left from our money. Government spent it all already...

Old 05-20-2010, 07:28 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelhicks7 View Post
I was laid off from my job 5 months ago in California. I moved to north Houston (woodlands area) with my wife and baby soon after. We've been staying with her dad but he's going through a divorce and last night he basically kicked us out. We've both applied to hundreds of jobs but so far we've found nothing. I have a plan though... I am looking to clean some houses to make some extra cash. Moderator cut: see comment I'm not looking for a handout I am willing to work to help myself and my family.
Tried applying for a loan?

Old 05-20-2010, 08:27 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcash View Post
This thread is a year old! If they have not sorted it out by now ...... It was cold cold winter. No idea why this thread has been bumped now.
I don't know, either, but there are enough unemployed people that the info is helpful for others as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston