Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 11:59 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times

Advertisements

Moving anywhere without having a job already in the works is very risky. Something I'd rather go skydiving 6 times in one week than doing that. Lol. Because I would feel skydiving to be slightly safer than moving without a job.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:28 PM

15 posts, read 21,310 times
Hello!
I'm from Houston (born and raised) and don't believe the hype about Texas' economy still doing well. While we may be doing better than others it is still a struggle.
Please do have a: healthy savings account, a support system, and possibly some interviews (or an actual job) lined up. If you do have a job then you are sitting pretty. I imagine this is the easiest city to get started in.
And kiss that cold weather bye bye!

Old 08-07-2010, 01:31 PM

15 posts, read 21,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisha_amos View Post
NO!!! DO NOT MOVE TO HOUSTON WITHOUT A JOB!! I DID IT A YEAR AGO!!...I HAD ATLEAST 10 INTERVIEWS IN 1 YEAR and NO ONE HIRED ME..I FINALLY GOT A JOB 2 MONTHS AGO AFTER MOVING HERE A YEAR AGO!!! JUST BECAUSE THE REPORTS SAY HOUSTON HAS PLENTY JOBS..YOU STILL HAVE HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE APPLYING FOR THE SAME JOB and alotta these people who have the authority to hire are 1) RACIST 2) HIRING PEOPLE THAT THEY KNOW 3) HIRING THEIR OWN FAMILY MEMBERS...
This is VERY true!

Old 08-07-2010, 07:32 PM

352 posts, read 570,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
FWIW I got both my jobs down here with a resume and a phone call, didn't know a soul.
Oildog, YOU are the Goldenchild.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:39 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGazelle View Post
Hello!
I'm from Houston (born and raised) and don't believe the hype about Texas' economy still doing well. While we may be doing better than others it is still a struggle.
Please do have a: healthy savings account, a support system, and possibly some interviews (or an actual job) lined up. If you do have a job then you are sitting pretty. I imagine this is the easiest city to get started in.
And kiss that cold weather bye bye!
I don't think that Texas' economy is that great either, Tommy. We may be less in a pickle than other states, but only by a hair or two. Just from what I've seen, the jobs in Texas are highly specialized. I would not advise that anyone move to Texas unless they have an extremely valuable skill set that translates well anywhere, e.g., doctor, dentist, veterinarian, nurse, etc. The only friend I've know who found a job in Texas while applying from out of state is a heart surgeon.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:49 PM

352 posts, read 570,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
The only friend I've know who found a job in Texas while applying from out of state is a heart surgeon.
Yup, specialized skills are what Houston's seeking; The only person I know that got a great job out of town is Jen Arnold, neonatologist from the show, "The Little Couple".

Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
I should clarify...I didn't move here until I had the job.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:30 PM

Location: Canadian in Tulsa, OK...counting down 2 years and a wake up
51 posts, read 158,365 times
Quote:
I moved from a small town in North Carolina..Maybe it is just my luck. But my job experience in Houston has been terrible. I just hope that people give others a chance. There are single mothers out there, Men and Women out there trying to support their families, I just wish everyone who is out there looking get something. I'm a single mom and it is hard trying to raise a child without a job and don't know where to turn. All I'm asking if it's racism or whatever, just stop it and give people a chance!

B.S! I am tired of this woah is me I am a single mother. No one told you to have a kid that you can't afford to raise. I am not attacking all single mothers but those single mothers or dads with entitlement issues grow up! If you moved to a state WITHOUT a job and a kid to SUPPORT who is to blame, YOU!!! I can't stand some of this mentality people have. If I am single with no kids and I am a better worker and more committed to my job then I deserve the position more than YOU. Your employer couldn't care two craps if you had a kid or not they just want to know if you can do the job and excel at it WITHOUT any excuses.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:09 PM

104 posts, read 359,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherish_lily View Post
B.S! I am tired of this woah is me I am a single mother. No one told you to have a kid that you can't afford to raise. I am not attacking all single mothers but those single mothers or dads with entitlement issues grow up! If you moved to a state WITHOUT a job and a kid to SUPPORT who is to blame, YOU!!! I can't stand some of this mentality people have. If I am single with no kids and I am a better worker and more committed to my job then I deserve the position more than YOU. Your employer couldn't care two craps if you had a kid or not they just want to know if you can do the job and excel at it WITHOUT any excuses.

U probably one of those that have the authority to hire and racist...

Old 08-08-2010, 10:13 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
U probably one of those that have the authority to hire and racist...
Ohhhh, stop! This person is not a racist. If everyone overuses the word, it becomes impotent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: