Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,475 times

Advertisements

I'm having a new Meritage home built in Missouri city.

I have the Meritage construction manager who is responsible for inspecting the sub-contractors work, a city inspector, and a 3rd party inspector hired by Meritage.

Should I have a 4th inspector? I would be paying for two inspectors if I do, but I would get to choose my 4th inspector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 07:41 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,367,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmys3000gt View Post
I'm having a new Meritage home built in Missouri city.

I have the Meritage construction manager who is responsible for inspecting the sub-contractors work, a city inspector, and a 3rd party inspector hired by Meritage.

Should I have a 4th inspector? I would be paying for two inspectors if I do, but I would get to choose my 4th inspector.
why would you even consider another inspection?

Nita

Old 07-24-2009, 07:58 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,176,727 times
You should always have an inspector hired by you, with your best interest in mind. Any person hired by Meritage does not necessarily have your best interests in mind, even if he/she is 3rd party. The city is only interested in code issues and I have seen them miss many things in the past.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:35 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,367,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
You should always have an inspector hired by you, with your best interest in mind. Any person hired by Meritage does not necessarily have your best interests in mind, even if he/she is 3rd party. The city is only interested in code issues and I have seen them miss many things in the past.
I didn't pick up on the 3rd one being hired by the builder..You are probably right, but in a new home I still don't think I would have another inspection. Maybe that is just me.

Nita

Old 07-24-2009, 08:48 AM

100 posts, read 304,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I didn't pick up on the 3rd one being hired by the builder..You are probably right, but in a new home I still don't think I would have another inspection. Maybe that is just me.

Nita
Nita, Poltracker was making the points. "ny person hired by Meritage does not necessarily have your best interests in mind, even if he/she is 3rd party."

I'm not sure on inspector pricing, but that investment can save a lot of headaches prior to closing, and years down if and when you might have problems.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:53 AM

228 posts, read 998,311 times
I was looking at pictures the other day of WHY you should have a new home construction inspection done. Something I found on a thread here. My son just closed on a new home, and after I read that report of a new home "somewhere" in Houston, I showed him...he was going to have an inspection anyway. I certainly wouldnt count on my builder to provide an objective inspector. I would think they would lean toward the builder...

Old 07-24-2009, 09:01 AM

100 posts, read 304,927 times
It's also a good idea to get a good inspector, one that visits more than twice. I can imagine an inspector that didn't want to make too much effort inspecting and reinspecting. Can anyone recommend a good inspector near Towne Lake?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:10 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,040,903 times
i would say no need. it doesnt mater what inspector you hire, they are ONLY going to look for CODE violations. also most production builders will take the "other" inspectors list and say "sure we will fix it" and then throw it out hte window. or they may say "if he calls anything not code we will not touch it" and legally they dont have to.

i am curious why would you be "paying for 2 inspectors"?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 AM

228 posts, read 998,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i would say no need. it doesnt mater what inspector you hire, they are ONLY going to look for CODE violations. also most production builders will take the "other" inspectors list and say "sure we will fix it" and then throw it out hte window. or they may say "if he calls anything not code we will not touch it" and legally they dont have to.

i am curious why would you be "paying for 2 inspectors"?

What about cracked slabs??? I think thats a little more than "code". But, to each his own...

Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 AM

259 posts, read 1,070,693 times
When we had our home built up here in okc, we felt like there was no need for an inspector hired by us. We fully trusted the construction manager here and the builders to have it all up to code. The city inspected it and we didn't have to pay any extra. Why you're paying extra for a 3rd party confuses me. Does your builder not include that in your purchase price/down payment $?

To be on the safe side though, you might want to hire one, not associated with your builder- up to you and how well you trust them.
I kinda wish we would of- the summer after we moved in our a/c was replaced b/c we had a major issue with humidity in the house- up to 75% which is not normal. Thankfully our builders did everything under the sun to try and fix it. What finally worked was a commercial sized dehumidifier. Supposively the slab was wet? Who knows but it's fixed now. Drove us insane though at the time b/c new houses aren't supposed to have problems like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston