Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 11:02 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,772 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the rant but seriously. I just came back from Las Vegas and was awakened that Houston has some serious steppin up to do. First, the airport. Why is it only Houston's Terminal E looks good? Terminals A,B, and C are very old and outdated. From everything to the beige carpet, monotone lighting, gives the impression of the airport being a little cold and stale. Las Vegas's airport has designer carpet and an overall exciting feel to it (of course the slot machines help ).

When i got back in to town, we were traveling down 45 going through downtown and disgusted at the rotting buildings still standing like the Old Days Inn and the Central Square building. There was a whole mural of graffiti on the top. They need to go ahead and knock these buildings down since there's no immediate plans for renewal. Some sides of the freeway look unkept and unmowed. It's a wonder why people thought to describe this city as ugly!

It frustrates me to no end because I don't really see the carelessness in other cities. I know Houston and Las Vegas are worlds apart when it comes to population but what about Chicago, Denver, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Fran, and other cities? I don't see their freeways rotting, boarded up buildings, and weeds growing out of the cracks of their prominent downtown buildings. What's Houston's problem? Please give more answers than the beloved Z word because Houston has a light form of it with the deed restrictions.

Las Vegas Nevada is not even a third the size of Houston but it carries itself like it's Tokyo compared to Houston!

Last edited by stoneclaw; 07-24-2009 at 11:35 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 11:46 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Sorry for the rant but seriously. I just came back from Las Vegas and was awakened that Houston has some serious steppin up to do. First, the airport. Why is it only Houston's Terminal E looks good? Terminals A,B, and C are very old and outdated. From everything to the beige carpet, monotone lighting, gives the impression of the airport being a little cold and stale. Las Vegas's airport has designer carpet and an overall exciting feel to it (of course the slot machines help ).

When i got back in to town, we were traveling down 45 going through downtown and disgusted at the rotting buildings still standing like the Old Days Inn and the Central Square building. There was a whole mural of graffiti on the top. They need to go ahead and knock these buildings down since there's no immediate plans for renewal. Some sides of the freeway look unkept and unmowed. It's a wonder why people thought to describe this city as ugly!

It frustrates me to no end because I don't really see the carelessness in other cities. I know Houston and Las Vegas are worlds apart when it comes to population but what about Chicago, Denver, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Fran, and other cities? I don't see their freeways rotting, boarded up buildings, and weeds growing out of the cracks of their prominent downtown buildings. What's Houston's problem? Please give more answers than the beloved Z word because Houston has a light form of it with the deed restrictions.

Las Vegas Nevada is not even a third the size of Houston but it carries itself like it's Tokyo compared to Houston!
You know, I was honestly thinking the same thing a couple of hours ago. Going back and forth between Boston and Houston for 3 years really sets me up for visual disappointment every time I get back here. I really do wish I could say Houston is a bastion of beauty, but it's hard. As I see it, a couple of factors that could be seen as negative contributions:

-large land area (the Houston area is so big, the bad (and/or boring) areas seem a lot larger in comparison to many places; add in the fact that most of the tourist traps are located on the outskirts)
-illegal immigrants (not that all illegal immigrants are bad or don't care, but there's that innate lack of sentimental attachment to Houston)
-the 'Z word' (in some cases-though it really has more to do with upkeep, rather than land use)
-ALWAYS under construction (Maybe people would move in next door if the main through way wasn't so torn up!)
-general vibe (Houston is Houston because of these factors and well, the laid-back attitude, generally moderate politics, and blend of Southern and Southwestern, urban and suburban, contribute to this mismatched city we got here! It's a city that lacks true direction (on many levels) because there are so many ways it can go and compared to many other cities, it's just begun.)

Old 07-24-2009, 11:58 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default You obviously have not been around the entire city of Las Vegas...

Las Vegas makes it pretty for the tourists, but go to downtown, off the side streets where the crack and meth addicts and prostitutes hang out, you will see the blighted areas. That is just one section, there are many more.

Every major city has more than one undesireable area. There are also property rights, the city cannot just go tearing down buildings unless it owns them.

I've been to all the cities you've mentioned, and I've seen all that you say about Houston. Maybe I am just older than you and have experienced more, but it does not sound to me like you've experienced those cities enough.

San Francisco, I really love that place, 'wish I could live there, but I cannot afford what I have now, there. But I used to go there about every six months, sometimes for weeks at a time for work. There are some really ugly, scary places there, trust me. Same for Chicago, even worse.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:02 AM

569 posts, read 1,078,252 times
Airport Blvd from I-45 to Hobby Airport is a simple road that gives off a bad first impression when arriving in Houston via Hobby. Such a short stretch you'd think the city would make an effort to beautify the median at least. Monroe between Airport Blvd and I-45 is another example though not as bad looking as Airport Blvd. I agree that this city just doesn't put forth the effort.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:03 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,800,475 times
Perry should take some of the stimilus money and improve the roads and landscape.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:27 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Las Vegas makes it pretty for the tourists, but go to downtown, off the side streets where the crack and meth addicts and prostitutes hang out, you will see the blighted areas. That is just one section, there are many more.
I went all up and down downtown and saw some pretty run down looking motels. Granted i probably didn't see the worst of them but what i did see had nothing on Houston's low down areas. In some of Houston's areas, the sidewalks will be crumbled to pieces while mold grows outside buildings. Not to mention, there's alot of billboards that are crooked and faded. And Houston shows it in your face because it's right off the freeway.

BTW I'm familiar with Dallas, Denver, and Houston but the other ones, you're right.... not so much. Even Dallas, of course has its share of areas but they have a better way of hiding it from incoming visitors.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 07-25-2009 at 12:51 AM..

Old 07-25-2009, 05:39 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
You know, I was honestly thinking the same thing a couple of hours ago. Going back and forth between Boston and Houston for 3 years really sets me up for visual disappointment every time I get back here. I really do wish I could say Houston is a bastion of beauty, but it's hard. As I see it, a couple of factors that could be seen as negative contributions:

-large land area (the Houston area is so big, the bad (and/or boring) areas seem a lot larger in comparison to many places; add in the fact that most of the tourist traps are located on the outskirts)
-illegal immigrants (not that all illegal immigrants are bad or don't care, but there's that innate lack of sentimental attachment to Houston)
-the 'Z word' (in some cases-though it really has more to do with upkeep, rather than land use)
-ALWAYS under construction (Maybe people would move in next door if the main through way wasn't so torn up!)
-general vibe (Houston is Houston because of these factors and well, the laid-back attitude, generally moderate politics, and blend of Southern and Southwestern, urban and suburban, contribute to this mismatched city we got here! It's a city that lacks true direction (on many levels) because there are so many ways it can go and compared to many other cities, it's just begun.)
Many undesireable areas in San Diego rival many good areas in Houston, It kills me on just how ugly and dirty Houston (metro) is.

I remember trying really hard to talk my wife into moving to Dallas (Frisco/Plano/Allen) because of those reason stated above, Houston won out only because she had a better job offer here.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:08 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,017 times
Hopefully more people are starting to notice the things that c2h mentioned as being a problem. I believe this will initiate some of the remedies that need to happen to clean up the city. Maybe it takes the people who are moving here from all over to point out the things that need changing because we've been here so long we barely notice.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:19 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,548,129 times
Maybe we need to put neon lights on the old Days Inn building. Then we'd be like Vegas.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:20 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
You think Vegas is nice? Ew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston