Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 01:10 AM

28 posts, read 129,724 times

Advertisements

I'm been looking at homes lately and have found a great looking one. Awesome location, great looking on outside and inside, affordable for me, and near work. The only thing is, is that it is in need of foundation repair. I was reading somewhere that the average foundation repair is 2500 to 4000 and going as high as 10500. I think it is a forclosure and is being sold as is.

Is this true and have any of you had bad experiences with these repairs? Does anyone have any advice for me?

P.S. Feel free to give me some reputation points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:49 AM

95 posts, read 435,937 times
those prices seem about right, but it's based on the total scope. foundation repair is never an easy thing to deal with, financially or mentally

Old 08-09-2009, 02:58 PM

40 posts, read 117,065 times
Call a Structural Engineer. They will let you know if you need foundation repairs or not. I have had some movement in my foundation during this drought, so called two different foundation repair companies in order to have them come out and inspect. The first company quoted repairs on three sides of my home. I did not see how they could raise/level my home without putting undue stress on the fourth wall which was not to be supported. The second company came out and said I needed piers on all four sides. Run piers down to bedrock. The different approaches and different measurements, caused confusion. So I called a Structural Engineer and he recommended NOT hiring any foundation company because the movement isn't big enough, my foundation is still in tact (cracks are superficial, but foundation is working properly and in one piece). Cost for Structural Engineer was $295. Cost for repair quote one on three sides - $12,900. Cost for repair quote number 2 was $9600.00 for treatment of four sides. Given the extreme drought conditions we've experienced, the Engineer said that putting treatments underground at this point would not allow the foundation to shift as needed, once we start to get rain again. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:40 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,233,087 times
IA with the above post.
foundation repairs are a pain esp if they are interior. The outside repairs are a piece of cake compared to digging a six foot hole in the middle of your dining room and having them take the dirt out via a wheelbarrow. Jack hammer dust is also really nice too!

Old 08-09-2009, 06:18 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,780,026 times
Dealing with 50's era homes on slabs, I have dealt with this issue a lot.

First thing to know is when it comes to slab homes of a certain age there are two kinds, those that have had foundation repair and those that need it.

I agree with the above posts about a structural engineer. The foundation companies are in the business of selling piers, so they will tell you that you need them whether you do or not. There is a certain degree of deflection that is considered acceptable. How much depends upon who you talk to. I have heard 1.5 inches over a certain amount of distance in the house, up to 2" is the highest I have heard.

People also tend to toss around the term "cracked slab" to refer to any kind of foundation issue, and that is not accurate. Just because a house needs leveling doesn't mean there is a cracked slab.

Exterior piers are not that difficult and typically run about $250 - $275 per pier. Most places give a lifetime transferable warranty that a new owner will have 30 days after purchase to transfer into their name. Interior piers are where it gets to be more of a hassle. There are a couple of methods to this, one is to break holes in the slab and go thru that way, it is cheaper. The other method is to tunnel under the house. Tunneling expenses are high, usually about $225 per linear foot, then you have the expense of the pier work itself.

One thing that might make that more feasible, it depends on the age of the house. If the house is over 40 years old and the under slab sewer lines have never been upgraded from cast iron (which has about a 40 year life span) to pvc, then it would be worthwhile to kill two birds with one stone on the tunneling and have them do both while they are down there.

One other option for interior piers is a company called Euratek Gulf Coast. They drill dime size holes in the foundation and pump a product under the house to lift it. This is a process intended to go in conjunction with perimeter piers. The "normal" foundation companies seem to frown on it, saying it can't be adjusted like the piers, but that is not true. There was one house in Glenbrook Valley that had it and they came out under warranty, (there was some small service charge for each hole they did, but not much, maybe $50?) and injected additional material in there to correct some settling that had happened since the work was performed originally.

As far as foundation companies that seem to give the fairest bids, I would recommend Dallas Duffy at Jericho for pier work.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:33 PM

45 posts, read 390,050 times
I remember when I bought my house almost two years ago I had an engineer check on the foundation before it was about to be poured. He signed off on it and said in the last few years the city has really tightened up its code requirements for slab foundations.

He also said most of the old 50s-60s ranch house areas like Meyerland and Timbergrove were built before there were any codes for the foundation. Meyerland for example is in a low lying area of the city and the foundations have very little rebar in them. He told me that even when there were codes the foundation companies would remove the rebar before the pour. That's why new home builders always have their project managers present when the foundations are being poured now.

Anyway, he said that most of the homes in those areas have had their foundations repaired or are waiting to be repaired.

Just FYI

Old 08-10-2009, 08:34 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,620,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
As far as foundation companies that seem to give the fairest bids, I would recommend Dallas Duffy at Jericho for pier work.
I know the Duffys personally. Good people who operate their business in good-faith.

You can probably find cheaper pier-leveling, but you may get what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston