Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 AM

26 posts, read 45,826 times

Advertisements

Hi all

Been living in Katy for a year and will be for one more year. Here with my husbands work and it's been great to experience another country but find at this stage we are struggling trying to find nice things to do in Houston.

We are outdoorsy people. Came from Ireland where we are used to space and scenery on our doorstep. We like the climate here most of the year except the summer.

We are here for work purposes temporarily and we are trying to make most of it but we really miss scenery and space as I said.

We have enjoyed using Houston as a base to explore other areas of the US which has been great.

I'm looking for some suggestions of family things to do at weekends please. We like scenic places outdoors, things like markets, nice family festivals or concerts.

We've been to most museums in the city. Did Nasa last weekend at last. That was impressive and will go back Been to Galveston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio. Things within two hours drive of Katy at weekend would be good thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 08:30 AM

259 posts, read 510,629 times
You could always take a shallow canoe and navigate the various bayous in the Houston area... And trust me the fauna will be the least of your worries

Old 09-13-2012, 08:34 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
Hike or Bike Terry Hershey Park.
Farmers Market or Dancing on The Plaza at CityCentre. those two things are very close to you.
Couple of Catfish fishing ponds on 290 on the way to Brenham.
Bluebell Factory in Brenham.
Texan Days at Washngton on the Brazos
Antique Rose Emporium with amazing roses for purchase and a maze.
Greek Festival coming up in October.
Bayou Bend
Go to Lost Pines for the weekend in Bastrop.
Rent a boat on Lake Conroe..

Just to name a few.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:36 AM

thank you so much

Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,268,742 times
Various festivals all around Houston are great as well.

Anahuac has Gatorfest this weekend - live music, alligators, airboat rides, etc
Angleton has something like mesquitofest - same thing
Strawberry festival comes every fall as well.

Fish Galveston
Pick fruit/veggis at any of the local vegetable farms...there is one in Alvin, there is one near Katy that also does cut your own Christmas trees and pick your own pumpkins
Number of Wildlife refuges that are great for bird watching, hunting, boating, kayaking
Rent motorcycle and drive to Galveston - take the ferry to Crystal Beach, ride it all the way to High Island and then back down to Smith Point and back to Katy - its a long beautiful ride.
Moody Gardens
Goto wineries...HAAK winery in Santa Fe does concerts every weekend and serve food/wine
Fredericksburg has a Wine Trail around Valentines that is a Great get away...get a Bed/Breakfast and follow the trail map to hit up close to 25 wineries in a weekend...

There is literally TONS of stuff to do outside here....more than probably any other place. Most people are just afraid to sweat a little.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,151,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniethepooh View Post
Hi all

Been living in Katy for a year and will be for one more year. Here with my husbands work and it's been great to experience another country but find at this stage we are struggling trying to find nice things to do in Houston.

We are outdoorsy people. Came from Ireland where we are used to space and scenery on our doorstep. We like the climate here most of the year except the summer.

We are here for work purposes temporarily and we are trying to make most of it but we really miss scenery and space as I said.

We have enjoyed using Houston as a base to explore other areas of the US which has been great.

I'm looking for some suggestions of family things to do at weekends please. We like scenic places outdoors, things like markets, nice family festivals or concerts.

We've been to most museums in the city. Did Nasa last weekend at last. That was impressive and will go back Been to Galveston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio. Things within two hours drive of Katy at weekend would be good thanks.
You should check discovery green page .. they always has some familiy theme thing going on.. They were giving out free canoing lesson last night but I could not go...hey free most places want tp charge you 60 bucks a person

Old 09-13-2012, 08:54 AM

thank you ! We don't tolerate the high heat in summer well. Us Irish can't handle that heat at all so we find we are stuck inside since late May lol. But looking forward to getting out now more and thank you for these suggestions

Old 09-13-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
You should check discovery green page .. they always has some familiy theme thing going on.. They were giving out free canoing lesson last night but I could not go...hey free most places want tp charge you 60 bucks a person
thanks. I actually found a good page online on Discovery Green last week and intend going there this weekend as there is an event on during the day that looks good It nice down there !

Old 09-13-2012, 09:10 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
My folks came to the U.S. from Ireland over 300 years ago but I can sympathize with you as an "outdoorsy" person myself. During my career, I had to live for a few years in New Orleans. One of the most enjoyable times I recall while I was there was when a friend and I took his canoe into the bayous north of Lake Pontchartrain. We put in a mile or so north of the Lake then paddled south until we reached the Lake on the north shore. Incredible natural beauty and wildlife!

I was too young when I lived in Houston to recall places like that around Houston but I'm sure there must be. Be safe if you decide to check out the bayous around Houston though. I think one could get easily lost without a GPS.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,629,417 times
This saturday is free Houston museum day soyou might want to take advantage of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston