Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:03 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
I see no reason for them to stay in Houston as it has no appeal whatsoever in it's own right.
Sure it does. A solid infrastructure, an affordable local economy and a pro-business government stance is really all those board room execs care about. Unlike you or I, the people at the top are most concerned about the bottom line, not the presence of a mountain or a beach or four evenly spaced seasons. Those people have weekend homes in places like that, and I'm sure they get away often, but they live in the place that makes the most sense fiscally. In this case, in regards to energy, that place is now and most likely will continue to remain Houston. Even energy companies not based in Houston have large presences here. Why, you may ask? Simply put, you need to be where your competition is. You need to be where your customers are. You need to be where your vendors are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 12:56 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
The east coast is a big place and I wouldn't call Austin 'nice'. I didn't say you hadn't lived anywhere 'nice' either, just wondered if you hadn't as you seemed to be implying Houston is a 'nice' place to live (which it isn't).
Well that's your opinion, and many others would disagree with you.

You seem to single Houston out, when that's really not fair.

He gave some good examples below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Once you get away from the beaches, Florida's mostly a hot, sticky, flat swamp too.

Chicago was once a low-slung, ugly city on a swamp with not a great deal of natural beauty, and with all manner of extremes when it comes to weather. But you know something....Chicago would be high on my list of places to go if I was to leave here.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:43 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
The east coast is a big place and I wouldn't call Austin 'nice'. I didn't say you hadn't lived anywhere 'nice' either, just wondered if you hadn't as you seemed to be implying Houston is a 'nice' place to live (which it isn't).
I think Houston is a nice place to live. If money wasnt a concern I certainly wouldn't live here but reality is usually less appealing than fantasy. I guess you are just surprised that people actually like living in Houston and enjoys what it has to offer.

Quote:
The bottom line is this- unless there's a continued reason for energy companies to stay in Houston they will leave. I believe this is inevitable, I presume you don't. I see no reason for them to stay in Houston as it has no appeal whatsoever in it's own right.
Bottomline, Houston has a favorable business climate that many US and multinational companies enjoy. Furthermore, the energy companies, much like the tech companies of Silicon Valley, are drawn to an area because of the educated talent pool. Yes, Houston has a highly educated employee base in engineering and geological services. Is it possible that Houston loses its energy base, of course, but it certainly wouldn't put us in position like Detroit.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:57 PM

912 posts, read 2,557,147 times
Lots to answer here and I can't do it all without writing a long and boring essay. I'll try to do it in point form.

1. Great Britain was in decline before either of the world wars, the similarities are that both were/are the leading superpower of the time and that they did not evolve, leading to their demise. (BTW Great Britain did/does have a lot of natural resources ie oil, coal, gas, minerals- perhaps you're thinking of Germany which has little in comparison to it's size.

2.Houston does not have a good infrastructure. It's road network is crumbling and it has little or no public transport. Furthermore it has a historical problem with droughts and requires huge amounts of power to make it liveable. This old 1950's model of American life is defunct and cities based on it will, in my opinion, decline.

3.Your point about people 'being where the business is' is a valid one. It's also the reason why I see Houston declining as the energy business and business in general gravitates away from the US. Likewise why I see a 'brain drain' once oil and gas leave the area.

4. I'm not singling Houston out, it's just that we're in a forum where the chat is about Houston. I could say the same for the other areas in terms of how 'nice' they are.

5. I'm not surprised people like living in Houston- I LIKE LIVING IN HOUSTON. As I've already said. My point is that without the energy sector and the money that brings there is nothing to recommend this as a geographical location. It's a flat, ugly, polluted, featureless swamp that suffers from natural disasters and is populated by vile insects. Why would any human choose to live here other than for commercial reasons?

6. Assuming the energy sector does relocate what difference would there be between Houston and Detroit? I can't see any. What else is there other than energy to sustain Houston? Every other sector of the economy either services it or is indirectly sustained by it. Nothing else here actually generates any money.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:09 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Furthermore it has a historical problem with droughts
This one in particular is news to me. Coastal Texas is usually one of the rainiest places in the country.

When it comes to a freeway system going in every direction out of the country - something that goes well with a major port - then find a place in America with better infrastructure in that regard.

We need better public transit, but that moves people, not goods.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:30 PM

81 posts, read 230,582 times
[quote=Grunn;10129234]
"5. My point is that without the energy sector and the money that brings there is nothing to recommend this as a geographical location. It's a flat, ugly, polluted, featureless swamp that suffers from natural disasters and is populated by vile insects. Why would any human choose to live here other than for commercial reasons?"

Why would anyone want to live in the tree-less plains? Why would anyone want to live in a barren desert? Why would anyone want to live where it snows 9 months out of the year? Why would anyone want to live somewhere with a bad local economy?

Lots of people live in all of those places and they like it. Just because you don't like the geographical features of the Houston area, doesn't mean that everyone feels the same as you.

I love the weather. I'll take hot over cold any day and most of the year it's very pleasant. I love the tall trees and the lush landscape. I love being close to the gulf. No, Galveston is not like the Pacific or the Atlantic, but it's still a huge body of water with sand, waves, sea gulls, etc. at the edge of the continent.

Where are there not insects? Antarctica? Where are there not natural disasters?

I come to this website to get information about Houston, but lately it seems like every thread turns into the Houston Complaint Department.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:07 PM

912 posts, read 2,557,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfizzy View Post

Where are there not natural disasters?
Great Britain and some countries in Europe.

I haven't 'been complaining about Houston' either, I merely pointed out some facts about it's natural disadvantages compared to somewhere that's actually 'nice'. I'll state again for the seemingly hard of thinking that obviously haven't bothered reading the thread.

I LIKE LIVING IN HOUSTON, I THINK IT'S A GREAT PLACE DESPITE ALL THE THINGS I'VE OUTLINED.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:24 PM

202 posts, read 715,372 times
[quote=bfizzy;10130772]
Quote:
"5. My point is that without the energy sector and the money that brings there is nothing to recommend this as a geographical location. It's a flat, ugly, polluted, featureless swamp that suffers from natural disasters and is populated by vile insects. Why would any human choose to live here other than for commercial reasons?"

Why would anyone want to live in the tree-less plains? Why would anyone want to live in a barren desert? Why would anyone want to live where it snows 9 months out of the year? Why would anyone want to live somewhere with a bad local economy?

Lots of people live in all of those places and they like it. Just because you don't like the geographical features of the Houston area, doesn't mean that everyone feels the same as you.

I love the weather. I'll take hot over cold any day and most of the year it's very pleasant. I love the tall trees and the lush landscape. I love being close to the gulf. No, Galveston is not like the Pacific or the Atlantic, but it's still a huge body of water with sand, waves, sea gulls, etc. at the edge of the continent.

Where are there not insects? Antarctica? Where are there not natural disasters?

I come to this website to get information about Houston, but lately it seems like every thread turns into the Houston Complaint Department.
Thank You!!! Very well said!!! No place is ever going to be perfect!!!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:02 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
I LIKE LIVING IN HOUSTON
Or do you just like making money in Houston? Might as well be honest.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:03 PM

913 posts, read 4,344,253 times
Quote:
6. Assuming the energy sector does relocate what difference would there be between Houston and Detroit? I can't see any. What else is there other than energy to sustain Houston? Every other sector of the economy either services it or is indirectly sustained by it. Nothing else here actually generates any money.
*amused* What a lengthy discussion I have created. )

I like your point about "Houston and Detroit". If, say, Houston becomes one in 2020, 2030, whatever - who, in contrary, would have become a better place to live then? In your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston