Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 06:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,563 times

Advertisements

Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me. My Husband and I are both UK citizens, however my husband who works for a large bank here in the UK has applied for a job in the Huston Offices. If he does get the job then as I will be coming with him as his wife where do I stand in staying in the USA and working. We also have a son (my stepson) living in Huston who is 14 years old.

Many Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 03:07 PM

332 posts, read 1,323,368 times
If your husband is transferring with his employer to a U.S. subisidiary or affiliated company, he will get either an L-1A or L-1B visa (which one depends on the nature of his job -- L-1A is for managers / executives and is the better one of the two since it allows for a much quicker / simpler path to a green card if you want that option).

Spouse and minor dependent children of an L-1 visa holder get an L-2 visa, which does allow you to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) AFTER you arrive in the U.S. Once you have the EAD, you would be able to work as well.

P.S. -- It's Houston, not Huston. Maybe you were thinking Americans like to leave the U out of words, but what's true for color and labor is not true for Houston...

Old 08-06-2009, 05:56 AM

3 posts, read 4,563 times
Thanks for that information that is very helpful. Sorry I spelt Houston wrong

Old 08-06-2009, 06:25 AM

47 posts, read 141,781 times
Kady

You will need to apply for your social security number which can only be done 2 weeks after you arrive here, that takes 7 to 10 days to come through. The work permit takes 90 days and will cost $340 ( at the moment) but you don't need to have a social security number to apply for the work permit, I would suggest that you apply for your work permit as soon as you get here.

You cannot take your driving test ( you will need a Texas licence so will need to take your test) until you have your SSN. You can drive on your UK licence but the time lines seem to be a bit confusing. Some say its 30 days but the USA government web site says 90 days. I took a driving lesson to get me used to the roads and the instructor said it was 30 days, so you may want to check that our further.

Where in the UK are you from (S.E.London here)?

We have just relocated here ( I have been here a month now) and we are loving it, but it can be a little confusing. I would suggest that while you are in the process .. and even once you move .. you check out these boards often, people on here are more than happy to answer questions or give advice and it really will help you adjust to life in Houston.... It is very different to the UK and can be a bit daunting... and you will also have made friends before you get here which is a plus... one of the girls I met is now my neighbour and she is brilliant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: