Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by customminds View Post
I definitely expect them to spam me more.

I do have some beef with them. I spend loads of money there. They tried their best to make sure I did not make the requirements, then after I was set to graduate, they did not help me finding a career.

It seems like a waste of a few years of my life, and now they are just greedy for more money. After leaving, I applied with HP for my old job (but upgraded) and they offered me the same amount I was making before going to UH. go figure.

In truth, I might be communist in this sense. I think education through bachelors should be provided for free to help better educate society.
you can't be serious, or maybe you are. No, advanced education should not be free. If someone has a desire to study past high school, has the ability and the grades, but not the money, there are scholarships (a lot of them) grants, student loans etc. Anyone who wants an education can get it.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 PM

89 posts, read 143,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you can't be serious, or maybe you are. No, advanced education should not be free. If someone has a desire to study past high school, has the ability and the grades, but not the money, there are scholarships (a lot of them) grants, student loans etc. Anyone who wants an education can get it.

Nita

That's my girl. College degrees for the rich ONLY!

Old 08-09-2009, 08:36 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,726 times
I attended U of H back in the 80’s, 90’s and had a great time learning as well as socializing there. I was wondering how many people here who are putting down U of H actually managed to get a Bachelor’s degree?

Old 08-09-2009, 10:48 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,361 times
The list is weighted towards what the grads do after college. Starting Salaries, percent hired/working, reputation from recruiters, alumni, etc.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:34 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
The list is weighted towards what the grads do after college. Starting Salaries, percent hired/working, reputation from recruiters, alumni, etc.
Actually, it's not. The website has a DIY ranking where you can de-emphasize the things you don't care about. When I knocked out everything except graduate success, Cornell was ranked 10 (vs 207 with the official criteria) and Duke was ranked 13 (vs 105 with the official criteria). Unfortunately, the rankings provided using the DIY criteria only show the top 20 schools, so I can't tell how UH does in terms of graduate success relative to the 599 other schools covered.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:34 AM

925 posts, read 4,709,234 times
I went to U of H and I have to say that the management of this University is close to none! They treat students very very very very bad! I have never experienced such bad management in any University.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:21 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Nita
True, but student loan debt can be nearly oppressive to manage. Take me for instance. I make a good living, probably a great living by most people's standards. I make well over the national average for a family of four, and while my wife is not working as she just had our baby, we must live like paupers to make ends meet and still be able to reimburse the government. I'm not suggesting education should be entirely free, but it would be nice for those of us who don't have wealthy parents for the state to actually fund public universities more generously allowing tuition to drop. It would be nice, but I don't hold much hope for that.

I think a good solution, one that no one likes to discuss, would be to close down all these redundant public universities in the state. For every university and college, money must be spent in construction, maintenance and personnel. If a handful of those schools closed down, we could cut that part of the state funding budget in half, allowing that money to be spent on reducing tuition payments for the universities remaining. Plus, the other universities would get larger in turn, thereby increasing the tuition the do receive. Think about it, how much sense does it make to have UH and TSU four blocks from each other, both sponging tax dollars? TSU isn't even necessary anymore ever since integration (which occurred half a century ago, btw). How many millions of dollars does TSU receive each year that could go towards defraying UH's costs and reducing student tuition payments? Just saying.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:49 AM

38 posts, read 86,299 times
Thumbs up connection between more education and lower crime rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keks View Post
That's my girl. College degrees for the rich ONLY!

heh @ keks. I don't think she was meaning to imply that, but funny response.

As for schooling past high school, it should be the governments priority to ensure its citizens are well educated beyond the 12th grade.

This is just a simple google search, but you can find the actual studies if you have time to search. (i don't now)
Early Education Policies Help Reduce Crime
"In addition, scientific studies show a strong causal connection between more education and lower crime rates."

On another point of interest, college graduates are more likely to question logical party votes rather than 'go with the masses'

Old 08-10-2009, 08:54 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
I think if more TRADE schools were open it would be a better option than providing every US citizen an MBA.

You know how many people are out there with a Masters that don't make over 35k a year? Advanced degrees are nice, but they don't ensure a higher salary.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:00 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by customminds View Post

On another point of interest, college graduates are more likely to question logical party votes rather than 'go with the masses'

I don't know about that. Many "intellectuals" are blindingly far left. They would never cross party lines on a vote. They'd slit their wrists first. So in many ways, they do vote en mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: