Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 06:06 AM

3 posts, read 30,667 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I got such great responses for my last question (thanks all) that I'm back for more!

I live in New York City. I think I live in a really great neighborhood in NYC -- Astoria, Queens. It's a nice neighborhood -- very diverse, nice mix of families and young people, nice trees, good eats BUT... I don't sense any sense of community here! Neighbors don't say hello to each other, and there doesn't seem to be any sense of community pride.

My college town (Ithaca, NY) had a great sense of community. Granted, it was a small town, but when the cashier at the grocery store said "good morning" she meant it. Every day you would run into someone you knew. Conversations with new people at a bar would develop into friendships without much effort. In New York, close relationships are such an effort because of the frenetic pace of life here!

So what's Houston like? I keep hearing that it's "a city with the heart of a small town" but is that just a slogan, or do you think it's true? Is there a sense of commumity pride there, and are people actively involved in their communities? Is it easy to develop friendships there? Do strangers greet each other with warmth? Are people well mannered?

They say that New York is the greatest city in the world and everything, and there is no denying that it's full of architecture, arts, entertainment, etc. -- but I think that great cities are made up of great people. I want a city full of down-to-earth, warm, fun, friendly, open, caring and interesting people. For my tastes, New Yorkers don't fit that bill. (Or maybe they're moving too fast to develop those human qualities!)

As always, your responses are immensely appreciated.

P.S. Maybe different neighborhoods in Houston have different feels to them, but Montrose is the neighborhood I'm looking to move to, if that helps. Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 08:31 AM

76 posts, read 388,749 times
I've been able to do a ton of networking in Houston. I'm originally from a different state that didn't have much sense of community at all. When I arrived in Texas (Houston), it was GREAT. I've enjoyed meeting new people for years now and there's ALWAYS something to do here

Old 04-30-2007, 09:21 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
we just moved from NYC, in fact my wife is from Astoria too. not sure what youre looking for but be careful what you wish for
one of the ideas of moving to this state is to broaden our personal space (and not hear too much from neighbors). that kinda translates to more personalization of the house, design, preventive maintenance, gardening/backyard work, no holds barred garagework and all sorts if indoor hobbies. not sure how much youre bring down from NYC but we basically we didnt have much to fill 1/6th of the house (just my car stuff) - so you got some shopping and sorting to do before you can let people in your home. my family in the other side of houston is getting antsy because we havent called for the house warming party yet.
if you want to have a wholesome cookie cutter home community, then you probably have to start it. it usually comes natural with a new community where everyone wants to start fresh. giving nods and smile here and there. I walk over to the ones just moved in to congratulate them for getting the 2nd best house in the neighborhood. drive by handwaves and people stopping by to compare gardening notes just follow - people walk around in subdivisions here just to check other peoples yards - i think this is your ticket to 50% of people in your neighborhood . if you dont have a yard then there are other things that would reflect your wholesome personality.
many communities use email groups such as yahoogroups to discuss/inform the residents of whatever is going on either its problems to fix or community yard sales etc
i've also met a few couples 'networking', in homedepot and other stores. that only happens when i'm in my office shirt and not in my raggity house work clothes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston