U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 07:28 PM

8 posts, read 14,959 times

Advertisements

Hello. Currently I am staying in the coveted, immaculate Greenspoint area. Believe it or not, but I feel safe here despite my car being broken into. I took it as a welcome to the neighborhood gift. With that said, I am in the process of looking for a house, and I've found 2 areas. First is further outside BW 8, one of the cookie cutter communities off of Cypresswood with easy access to Hardy. Second is further in, a house off Tidwell that I like with character, but I have reservations about the safety of the area such as me leaving for extended periods of time on travel, and coming to a burglarized home. I do alot of personal travelling.

Also I have 2 offices.. one DT and one in North Houston so these 2 locations work well.

I've done a crime search here http://mycity.houstontx.gov/recentcrime/index.html and the black dots are overwhelming... for Tidwell's surrounding streets.

My budget is 130K with 20K for wiggle room. I have other interest besides paying a house note on time every month, but not having the ability to spend as I please. i.e. becoming house poor

Can anyone vouch on the safety of Tidwell from 290 to 45? I am debating whether I should just upgrade my apartment living as oppose to buying a home.

All comments are welcomed. Tk u.

Last edited by JDubbya; 08-10-2009 at 07:38 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 07:31 PM

15,216 posts, read 29,021,039 times
That close in, your options in your price range aren't going to be all that plentiful. If you feel reasonably comfortable where you are, I wouldn't rule out that house on Tidwell.

Do you know the address? Tidwell from 290 to 45 is a fairly long stretch actually.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:09 PM

2,620 posts, read 8,431,776 times
I am usually the first to advocate for closer in areas and the last to be spooked by transitional neighborhoods. Tidwell, however, ain't transitional. You have to have some level of transition, and it ain't happening there.

I would go a little south into Oak Forest or Shepherd Forest. You won't get a mansion, but you can get in there for that price range with at least some hope of appreciation in the future. I would also run some of 77009 and see if there is anything in Brookesmith, Lindale Park or Sunset Heights.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:09 PM

111 posts, read 572,022 times
You're aware of Google Street View right? You can cruise around the neighbourhood and see what the houses are like and the surrounding area.

Most of the areas that I'm seeing off of Tidwell in that range of addresses look a little run down. Lots of vacant buildings.

www.maps.google.com

Old 08-10-2009, 10:20 PM

15,216 posts, read 29,021,039 times
Houston Crime Maps and Statistics

Here's another resource for you, for wherever you end up looking at.

modster > jfre81 when it comes to knowing what's what on that end of town (or a lot of places) though. I haven't been down that stretch of Tidwell in a long time.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:15 AM

3,702 posts, read 17,540,578 times
Modster is right. I would shy away from anything along Tidwell.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:20 AM

4,712 posts, read 6,417,564 times
If you are single and travel a lot might you be better served by an apartment or condo with a secure entry? Makes leaving a whole lot less stressful when you have staff looking after the place.

If you're leaving a house for extended periods of time you'll need to be worried about watering, mowing, landscaping, etc. And you'll need someone to keep an eye on the place just in case. For example, if a window gets broken or a door pushed in and it isn't dealt with immediately its a compete invitation to get completely cleaned out.

If I was single and traveled a lot I think the only circumstances under which I would be house hunting was if I intended to take in a roommate. Which is exactly what I did when I bought my first house as a single 20-something. Got my roommates to pay my mortgage and utilities and also had someone to look after the place when I'd head off to places like Guatemala.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:22 AM

17,030 posts, read 29,452,863 times
What about near TC Jester...

Old 08-11-2009, 07:37 AM

3,702 posts, read 17,540,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
What about near TC Jester...
Houses along TC Jester inside the loop are way out of his price range, outside the loop they are pretty much from his price range and up a notch.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:57 AM

100 posts, read 290,057 times
Houston map search and Houston real estate map

Click on "Search Criteria" stick in the fields you want and search away. As far as crime locations, just overlay the dots with the map and go with what best fits your budget and location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: