U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:52 AM

7 posts, read 32,701 times

Advertisements

I’ve always planned to move to Texas as soon as the kids were grown. Unfortunately a recession hit at the same time. I've worked in IT for 20 years. Everyone will say AUSTIN is high tech, but I'm sensing that during this recession, Austin is being flooded with immigration; saturating a stagnant market.

My concern is that Austin will have lower wages, higher cost of living, and greater competition for fewer jobs then Houston or Dallas. I would love to get some feedback from those who already live in these cities. Am I correct?

Where would my best opportunities be, given our current economic situation? Houston, Dallas, or Austin?

BTW, I love Houston...except driving the loop!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,199,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRoss View Post
I’ve always planned to move to Texas as soon as the kids were grown. Unfortunately a recession hit at the same time. I've worked in IT for 20 years. Everyone will say AUSTIN is high tech, but I'm sensing that during this recession, Austin is being flooded with immigration; saturating a stagnant market.

My concern is that Austin will have lower wages, higher cost of living, and greater competition for fewer jobs then Houston or Dallas. I would love to get some feedback from those who already live in these cities. Am I correct?

Where would my best opportunities be, given our current economic situation? Houston, Dallas, or Austin?

BTW, I love Houston...except driving the loop!
What field has your IT experience been in?

Old 08-11-2009, 11:05 AM

809 posts, read 3,303,568 times
Austin is techy - but you are right about the lower pay and higher costs. There is a lot of competition for jobs among all of the University of Texas graduates that want to stay in Austin. With 20 years experience, you won't be competing with the recent grads so much, but I image it is still competitive.

Austin has a lot going for it, but I think you will have a better chance in Houston finding something and get higher pay with a lower cost of living.

You could always try applying to jobs in all 3 locations and see what happens.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:49 AM

13,402 posts, read 22,396,386 times
Dallas is definately your best bet for IT jobs. As its been mentioned, Austin has alot more competition and less opprotunities. Austin is probably the most fun though.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:07 PM

299 posts, read 934,045 times
Really depends on the kind of work you do. Austin has AMD and Dell if engineering is more your thing. Also a lot of start ups, web presence type small shops. The only big player is IBM with their Tivoli and AIX development labs, and a large global services/sales staff.

Houston and Dallas have more traditional IT support jobs in corporations. Most of those are energy companies. Houston also has HP which does a little over everything.

If you are looking to be an IT support professional with a fortune 500 company i'd probably start with Houston first, but also apply to several firms in Dallas.

Competition is pretty heavy everywhere. It's like back after the dot-com bust, people with 20 years of experience are applying for entry level jobs.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:20 PM

563 posts, read 1,578,378 times
Having worked in the IT industry the last 5 years, in Dallas, and now searching for work...it seems like IT jobs are in all three cities. But I do agree that you may have more competition from recent grads in Austin. So I would say Dallas or Houston are equally good.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:10 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,833,281 times
In Texas Dallas usually always has the most IT jobs. Austin and Houston compete for second place. All three are pretty good for IT jobs so I would say pick out the city that appeals to you the most and try to get a job there. That's what I would do.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,797,687 times
Austin, San Angelo.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:33 PM

129 posts, read 346,822 times
As some of the previous posters noted, it really depends on your experience... there are plenty of IT jobs in all three markets for the right experience and skills. I wouldn’t necessarily say one market is better across the board than the other two, but I’ve got limited exposure to Dallas and Austin.

I work for an IT consultancy in Houston and we've started hiring again locally and in other markets, but the economic conditions have made us be a little more pragmatic with our hiring. I think this is true for industry jobs as well- a number of companies have done some house cleaning in this downturn and we have and will see more openings as the market continues to level out. However, the new openings will in most cases be for different skills or qualifications. I think most companies feel it is a buyer’s market and have some pressure to hire ‘A’ players, so the process is taking a little longer than it might have 12 months ago.

Form my vantage point, the Houston IT job market has held up very well and has been quite solid for the past several years. But you could say the same about Dallas and Austin as well.

Sorry I’m not more help. Post your experience and I’d imagine you’ll get some more valuable direction.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:09 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,656,989 times
Don't forget San Antonio, there are a number of medium-sized companies there as well. You didn't include Ft. Worth/Arlington, either; I assumed you were looking at "The Metroplex" when you said "Dallas".

I think the advice you got about applying in all (4) of the metro areas is good. Cost of living is low compared to places other than Texas; there's not a whole lot of difference in cost of living among the Texas cities (Hi to lo: Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio).

In the current employment market, you really can't afford to limit yourself to one city if you're flexible at all. Look at all 4, and don't rule out smaller communities like San Angelo, Waco, Bryan/College Station, Tyler, Longview, etc. I'm not very familiar with Lubbock, Amarillo, and El Paso, so I left them off the list, but West Texas is still, in fact, Texas (and a lot closer to the skiing in NM, Colorado, etc if that is of interest).

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or