Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 07:53 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times

Advertisements

UH Clear Lake is very small compared to UH main campus. Perhaps not as many opportunities there for fundraising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 08:27 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Still if you are going to live in the area - it sure wouldn't hurt to check out UHCL for opportunites. It is a very nice campus and seems to be involved in a lot of things. I loved it there - didn't work there - attended school there.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Still if you are going to live in the area - it sure wouldn't hurt to check out UHCL for opportunites. It is a very nice campus and seems to be involved in a lot of things. I loved it there - didn't work there - attended school there.
UHCL is definitely a nice campus. I went to a conference there a couple weeks ago and there were two deer romping in a green space on the campus grounds! You don't see that at UH main campus, for sure!

Old 08-14-2009, 05:16 PM

I liked it too because the average age of the student tended to be a bit older since it was only a jr/sr level university at the time - not sure if that has changed or not. However; the age has gotten younger as many in the area recognize that sending their kids to a community college and then UHCL while living at home is a definite bargain.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:44 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I liked it too because the average age of the student tended to be a bit older since it was only a jr/sr level university at the time - not sure if that has changed or not. However; the age has gotten younger as many in the area recognize that sending their kids to a community college and then UHCL while living at home is a definite bargain.
For safety reasons, Clear Lake campus is a very good option. UH main is a little too dangerous, at any hour! But it's not a huge campus.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Homes View Post
For safety reasons, Clear Lake campus is a very good option. UH main is a little too dangerous, at any hour! But it's not a huge campus.
UH main campus has an enrollment of 36,000 students. UHCL has an enrollment of 8000 students.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:01 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
UH main campus has an enrollment of 36,000 students. UHCL has an enrollment of 8000 students.
True, but the safety issues don't come from within students. But from the neighboring areas.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Homes View Post
True, but the safety issues don't come from within students. But from the neighboring areas.
Oh, I know, I work at UH main. I was just responding to your comment about UH main not being huge. It is a lot bigger than UHCL if measured by enrollment.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:29 PM

The vast majority of universities in major cities are located near very bad neighborhoods. And, with a population of 36,000 students - some of the bad does come from within. A friend's daughter, and now his son have both attended main campus and seemed to enjoy it with no problems but of course they were vigilant and aware of their surroundings.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,781 times
Default Nasa Clear Lake Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemay View Post
Hi Y'all,
My husband and I are moving to the NASA area and think we will probably find a place in the general Clear Lake area. Two questions:

1. We are currently in the northeast and I am in a neighborhood where I can walk to everything...work, restaurants, markets, and shops. Are there any neighborhoods in the Clear Lake area that sound similar topping out at the $400K range? I've researched the threads and haven't been able to get a real sense of this kind of neighborhood.

2. My current profession is in development (fundraising) at the university level and I'm looking at Rice and Univ. of Houston right now. Assuming we'll be somewhere in the general Clear Lake area near NASA, are those commutes going to be reasonable. (I don't consider over 30 minutes reasonable...don't want to spend my life in the car!!!)

Thanks in advance for any feedback. We have heard great things about Texas and the Houston area and can't wait. Bummer about the heat, though!

Maggiemay
well Maggie May..............you remind me of the "Wake up Maggie I got somethin to say to YOU " song.............
check out the lovely city of Nassau Bay Just across from JSC
space center.....built in the early days of Nasa..........my home built in 1968..............great place to walk by the Lake Nassau Bay...talk to joggers and people walking their pups.............and visit with me while I feed "Squirrell Girl" who sits on the park bench with me every day for her allotment of pecans that I paid $100 for in Seguin, Texas after tubing down the Guadalupe River.........but she is so worth it.......we were all hit by hurricane IKE, but some homes were untouched and are surrounded by trees and lovely landscaping................we are a very nice neighborhood with............... homes at $100K to Millions..................I'm in the NOT on The Water poor section.........................Martinique Drive were the parades for 4th of July, etc leave the Gloria Day church and proceed to the Nassau Bay Park on
clear creek that opens itself to Galveston Bay...................google us @ google earth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston