Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 09:49 AM

15 posts, read 56,919 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving either to Houston or Forthworth and looking at job oppurtunities in both places. We have 2 kids under the age of 4.
Our priorities are:
1. Low Crime rate
2. We want good private schools - willing to spend any amount for their education
3. We are Asian Indians. So diversity is a must.

We have never lived in any of those places before. so your opinion matters....

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 11:30 AM

101 posts, read 295,911 times
Smile Katy, Texas would probably be the best place.

Just stay south of the I-10 but I think that Katy would be a great fit for you.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:31 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Lots of Asians in the Sugar Land and Katy areas of Houston, no idea about Ft. Worth. Sugar Land also has low crime and good schools. Again, no idea about Ft. Worth.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:37 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
Fort Worth Country Day School is exceptional.

It celebrates diversity. K-12th.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:14 PM

52 posts, read 102,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeshore View Post
3. We are Asian Indians. So diversity is a must.
Thanks
Well, I've lived in Houston for quite some time and I can assure you that if you want diversity, Houston is the city for you; ESPECIALLY for asian people, there's lots of asian people over here, so I am sure you will find many people of your same culture here. Houston has parts with gangs and crime, but it's like every big city in the world, you gotta know where you go to. So if you stay away from those few places (I think it's mostly southern Houston) you'll be fine. Some good places to live are Northwestern Houston, Sugarland, and Katy.

Houston has some very good schools, I can't name them, but I am sure of it. I can't say much about Dallas since I don't know it that much, but I do know that Houston is a much diverse city.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:34 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
You can also add Pearland and Clear Lake to those mentioned above. Just about any suburb with a professional population = significant Asian population. So this all really depends on where you land your job. Then you can minimize commute times. However, as far as being close to private schools, not really sure. Much of the draw to the suburbs is having access to the good public schools.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:09 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
I cant speak for Houston on Indians, but I can tell you that here in the Metroplex, we have a very large South Asian community (specifically Indian).

The main areas where there are Indians are Irving (specifically Las Collinas), Richardson, and Garland. As far as the Indian Ammenities we have:

-Radio Salaam Namaste, 104.9. They play Indian music, conduct alot of their programing in one of the Indian Languages (sorry, I dont know which one), talk about current events in South Asia, and give reviews of Bollywood movies.

-Everest Heights mall in Irving. This mall is going to be entirely South Asian, will have Indian TV chanel for DFW broadcasting from there, and another radio station as well. Its set to open before years end. http:\\www.everestheights.com

-We also have many Bollywood theaters and many many fine Indian and South Asian eateries.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-17-2009, 02:24 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,689 times
You would love Sugar Land. There's a great private school there called The Honor Roll School. My friend's son went there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston