Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:36 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudysmom View Post
I really don't care what people eat. I just don't want to be around smoke.
Well, at least you're honest about your conceits. You're not hiding behind health and the-greater-good, you just like the ban because you're annoyed by smoking. It doesn't make it right, but at least you're honest.

I'm going to start a campaign to outlaw obese people in restaurants. Frankly, they repulse me and I lose my appetite when I see them in restaurants. I can't enjoy my time while eating if they're around. The world should accomodate me and people who think like me, right? Oh wait, I should wait a couple more years before I mount my campaign. Fatties aren't the villian-of-the-day just yet. Not yet, but soon.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:52 PM

302 posts, read 885,449 times
This is what I have always thought on stuff like this:

We all have rights. This is true. But when MY right errs on the side of health (mine and others), and YOURS hinders others from that right, mine wins. Hands down. Healthy wins over cancer every time. Sorry, but true.

I should not have to stop going to every bar and restaurant because of smokers. I think there should be a ban. If a bar still allows the smoking, THEN it is my choice to stay away or go and deal with it. But I should not have to avoid every single place in the world because somebody else has decided to be unhealthy and engage in an activity that endangers my health.

I hate smoking because it is disgusting. It makes me smell disgusting, it makes my hair smell, it makes my clothes smell, and I cannot breathe around it. Other people eating doesn't affect me, doesn't make me smell, and doesn't give ME any heart problems.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:54 PM

226 posts, read 893,893 times
Default Private Property Vs Public Property

I think what everybody is missing here is the difference between public and private property. If I want to drink and smoke in my house it's my business and it's my property. The federal, state, and local government should respect private property and not infringe on our right to do as we please in our home.

So if I own a restaurant and want to allow smoking I should be able to do it without government being fascistic and not allowing it. I pay the bills and I say what goes on my property!

All these people that are so glad for the ban don't realize that the bar or restaurant isn't owned by the government! It's about liberty and the respect of private property. If you enter into the public scene like say an expressway and think you can drive recklessly and endanger others on the road the governments duty is to protect innocent people.

If you know that a restaurant allows smoking then stay away from it. Just like if your friend has a blood thirsty pitbull in his [private] backyard, just don't go back there. If your neighbor has asbestos in his house, smokes cigars and he invites you over for dinner, no thanks.

I'm getting nervous about the direction this country is going when for so long the citizens and the government leaders didn't mess with civil liberties and private property but now is commonplace.

That's what I like about Texas, Dairy Queen and Good Ole Liberty lovers

YouTube - Smoking ban up in smoke

Old 08-21-2009, 11:23 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
http://bestsmileys.com/talking/5.gif (broken link)

Moderator cut: Ok, we managed to get this topic talked to death so let's find something else to chat about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston