Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 11:33 PM

7 posts, read 22,896 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am a 22 year old female who just moved to Houston to teach. I am currently living with my aunt in SE Houston but I have finally found a job in the Alief school district.

I am looking for a safe apartment to live in between the Beltway & the Loop. Yes yes, I know 22-year olds like bars and dating and the loop. I have a boyfriend, and I already have two social networks here, so I would prefer to live outside the loop where it is cheaper and my commute to work is stress free. I am 100% confident that I will not die of boredom.

I am hoping for a more personal perspective and recommendations on finding an apartment complex. I have already spent numerous hours using the HPD website, a zip code map, Google Maps, you name it to narrow down the area. The problem is that apartment ratings are unreliable and I also don't want to accidentally end up in one of the ghetto pockets in the nice areas. How is that little space around Bunker Hill Village, for instance?

So this week, I will be driving around trying to find something. Can someone recommend some areas that are a reasonable commute (15 min before traffic) to Alief ISD without actually...you know, being there.

I would love to have rent <700. The only bell I need is a W/D in unit.

I am currently scoping out AMLI Eldridge Pkwy and Camden Holly Springs?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 08:41 AM

739 posts, read 2,256,876 times
I do not know of any place between 610 and beltway 8 that is safe. Maybe a few years ago but there has been a huge increase in gang activity in the past 2 years and even in the last few months. Your better off being outside beltway 8

Old 08-23-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.roper View Post
I do not know of any place between 610 and beltway 8 that is safe. Maybe a few years ago but there has been a huge increase in gang activity in the past 2 years and even in the last few months. Your better off being outside beltway 8
That's disappointing. While I don't want to live inside the loop, I did want my apartment to be within a reasonable distance from friends that I have on the NW side of the loop. I am now looking at some apartments on Eldridge Parkway and hopw that is pretty safe.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:57 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,299,005 times
The apartments on Westheimer between the beltway and highway 6 are nice and have secruity and HPD on patrol.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:51 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,812,121 times
You can find safe apartments between the beltway and 610 on Westheimer but you are going to have to increase your budget to at least $900. There are some great new apartment buildings on Voss between Westheimer and San Felipe. There are also some nice apartments just past Voss called Old farm. The Marquis is also a nice complex on Westheimer and there is another complex just across the street from the Marquis that are really nice too.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:06 PM

144 posts, read 593,312 times
Were in Alief are you going to teach? I live in Sugar Land and I can throw a rock to Alief from my back porch, never have had any safety concerns.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:10 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,416,714 times
Default Creekstone

A friend of mine lived at a place called Creekstone Apts. They are very well kept and in an excellent location IMHO to live in Houston. She lived there for several years but just moved out (she bought a house). She liked it because it was a very safe place for her and she never heard of crime occuring there. It is very quite and lots trees in a great location. Good luck!

Creekstone Houston Apartments - Apartments in Houston, TX – Greystar Management

Old 08-23-2009, 09:44 PM

Thank you everyone.

I'm not willing to pay $900 because I'm trying to save money and I'm on a teacher salary. Sugar Land is a bit expensive for what I'm looking for, isn't it? I could still look but it seems pricey and also potentially trafficy. Creekstone looks nice, but still pricey. I really don't want to spend more than $700. =/

Old 08-24-2009, 12:58 AM

156 posts, read 368,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
The apartments on Westheimer between the beltway and highway 6 are nice and have secruity and HPD on patrol.
Really? I was under the impression that pretty much anywhere on Westy was going to be very sketchy at best. Weren't a lot of the Katrina evacuees sent to the Beltway/Westheimer area?

Old 08-24-2009, 01:00 AM

156 posts, read 368,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohtown View Post
Thank you everyone.

I'm not willing to pay $900 because I'm trying to save money and I'm on a teacher salary. Sugar Land is a bit expensive for what I'm looking for, isn't it? I could still look but it seems pricey and also potentially trafficy. Creekstone looks nice, but still pricey. I really don't want to spend more than $700. =/
You are going to have problems with traffic wherever you live in Houston, there isn't really a way around it. Some areas are a bit worse then ever, but I wouldn't expect a trouble free cruise anytime except the middle of the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston