Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:51 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times

Advertisements

Demon WP.

But lock up the kids and pets for a few hours. I don't mind lizzards, but I have this thing about Miillipedes. So, it will kill their food source..

Anyway, here's a site. I have a friend that is petrified of these things. He's Canadian..what can I say.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 04:02 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default Guess what, you probably have snakes too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_007 View Post
Good lord, there is a larger food circle than just lizards eating roaches... there are snakes that eat lizards, othr reptiles that eat snakes...so you all (most of you anyways) are suggesting i start letting them harbor around my house and have a pest-party or something? 15 replies and all i get is switch off the light... ***'on ppl, give me something better!!
Where you have good lizard populations, you will also have snakes. I catch either a baby brown snake, or a garden snake once a week when doing yard work. I immediatly stop, catch it, and then call my 4 year old son who gladly takes it from me, and let's his 2 year old sister, and his older sister hold it. After they all get a turn, it gets put onto the lawn, or pond... my son prefers the pond.

As someone else noted, are you from around here? Most people living here a long time, or grew up have the same "pests", but don't make mention because it's part of life in a sub-tropical climate.

And as someone else noted, yes, we get the occassional 'potato chip' gecko that gets smashed to a wafer in the door jams... dries out, and eventually gets noticed.

C est la vie!

Old 08-26-2009, 04:26 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
Be glad you don't live in Florida. Broad-headed Skink - Florida eco travel guide

Old 08-26-2009, 04:28 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,851,661 times
I've also got a lot of lizards around my apartment. It's good to know they are eating all the bugs (especially the roaches). Now that I know that I"m glad they are around and hope they never leave.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:29 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Get a cat or a terrrier.
Exactly what I came in to post!

We haven't seen any here in Texas yet, but in Florida my cats would kill em and then hide the carcasses under the dirty laundry.

I use hampers now.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:39 PM

661 posts, read 2,896,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Demon WP.

But lock up the kids and pets for a few hours. I don't mind lizzards, but I have this thing about Miillipedes. So, it will kill their food source..

Anyway, here's a site. I have a friend that is petrified of these things. He's Canadian..what can I say.

How to Get Rid of Lizards
Good article. It about sums up everything you can do if you're determined not to have lizards. I loved the picture of the broom, stuffed frog, and cat in the box.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:05 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
Poor little lizards. I bet they wish they weren't trapped inside. I try to catch them and release them, or at least that's what happens when I scream for my husband to come help.

They don't bother me as much as some other creatures but one of them did scare the heck out of me in the shower last week.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:50 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,519,848 times
My cat kills them on the front porch and them brings them inside as a gift. Sometimes they are without tails, legs, etc. I would suggest getting an indoor cat if you don't want them inside. Cats actually keep the home completely pest free. I have two cats and haven't seen a bug in years and I don't have to spray deadly chemicals.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:33 AM

141 posts, read 292,996 times
I don't see how anoles (Which is what they most likely are) really constitute as pests, and I really doubt you'll find an exterminator to solve your problem, partly because they probably won't.

It's just part of living here. Last week, several baby geckos crawled inside our house, the cats ate them, and that's the circle of...life.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:19 AM

67 posts, read 351,183 times
HA! agreed... and am not talking about wiping them out of the circle completely... just in & around my house I guess I take it that that's just how it is here in the tropical climate. To some of the other points, YES i am not from here... moved from Ohio few years back but this is my first summer in my new house (was living in apartments before and didn't really care that much then!)- from all the posts, i take it my best bet is to keep their food away from my porch and off they should go...let's c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston