U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 03:02 PM

11 posts, read 47,455 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Our upstairs in our 2yr old home has a "game room" it is right up the stairs from the living room. So 2 TV's battle. We also want to use it for a guest room when guests come, so we have hung a cloth shower curtain in the entry-way for *some* privacy... but it doesn't give much.

Wondering how much it would cost to close it off and put in a door. And if we go that far, what about making a small closet in it to call it a bedroom (making the house 5 bedrooms) Would it be worth it? Would it turn off the "houston market" at resale?

Also with it being a smallish job... who would you call? A handyman? Is it too small for a GC?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 09:34 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,878,706 times
does it have a window?
will it have windows after closing it off? if you close the room in with no window you would be breaking code.

this would be a "handyman" type job maybe 3-4 days worth of work. as for cost i could not tell you without the time to measure and look at the actual job.

now IMO i would leave the room a game room as it will resale better then the 5th bedroom.
now you could always put in some french doors or something to make the room dual use?
is the room a "loft" style over the living? you can put in a "wall" of bi-fold doors on the top of the pony wall. looks nice, can be closed off, and can buffer the tv noise.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:02 PM

258 posts, read 899,280 times
I am in the same situation. I was trying to find a solution that would allow both a game room and bedroom type setting for when guests come, especially since there is a window and a closet in my game room area.

I was actually looking into an accordion style (accordion door) wall but I kind of realized it's not a pretty solution (check Accordion Doors, Accordion Folding Doors & Accordion Room Dividers )

I've seen some nice window style doors but they are mostly used as a wall for indoor/outdoor access.

The pretty solution that I found was at http://www.nanawall.com - They have a showroom in the woodlands
Here's a sample project: http://www.nanawall.com/Gallery/Projectphoto.aspx?id=6005 (broken link)

Old 09-02-2009, 08:39 AM

8,307 posts, read 36,946,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
does it have a window?
will it have windows after closing it off? if you close the room in with no window you would be breaking code.

this would be a "handyman" type job maybe 3-4 days worth of work. as for cost i could not tell you without the time to measure and look at the actual job.

now IMO i would leave the room a game room as it will resale better then the 5th bedroom.
now you could always put in some french doors or something to make the room dual use?
is the room a "loft" style over the living? you can put in a "wall" of bi-fold doors on the top of the pony wall. looks nice, can be closed off, and can buffer the tv noise.
rigas is right about the building code.

Must be an operable window large enough for someone to escape from to call it a bedroom.

In the absence of a window, I think you can add a door without violating code so long as you still call it a game room for tax, resale and occupancy purposes and I don't believe that building out a utility closet would create any problems.

Adding a door to an existing opening is fairly simple and straightforward. As far as the carpentry is concerned, that shouldn't require more than about 4 hours labor for a lone handyman.

Building out a closet would be more time consuming and labor intensive, but materials cost would be in the neighborhood of $300 for a simple 4'X8' space with a door.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:46 AM

11 posts, read 47,455 times
We still have a window. The door would only close it off from the hallway. The current opening is about 5 feet wide.

The closet idea is mainly to have the option of calling it a bedroom. We would still use it as a "game room"/guest room. The closet would serve as a bonus to store stuff for now.

In my world (not a native Texan) a 5th bedroom would be more desireable than a game room. Nothing would keep anyone from using a bedroom as a playroom, but the reverse (having a playroom used as a bedroom) has its challenges.

But despite what I like, if Texans see lack of playroom in a 5br house as a problem, I am not too keen on spending money to screw up my house

Thanks for input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: