Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:33 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,287,717 times

Advertisements

I dont consider Fox or Drudge to be reputable...quite the opposite.

If you want to keep your kid home from school because the President is going to give a pep talk on studying hard and being a good student by all means that is your right!
If you want to believe this is an attempt to indoctrinate the youth of America into some politcally evil empire then that is also your right.
Just be aware that seems a little silly given the fact he is the leader of the free world!

can we all say paranoid

Old 09-02-2009, 01:37 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
I found this:

Obama's School Speach Raises Concerns - Associated Content

Quote:
...The subject of the speech, as reported by the Department of Education, seems innocuous enough. "Obama intends to "challenge students to work hard, set educational goals and take responsibility for their learning," Duncan wrote. Obama will also call for a "shared responsibility" among students, parents and educators to maximize learning potential."

However the Department of Education has made suggestions for "classroom activities" to coincide with the Obama school speech that has caused concern.

"Students in grades pre-K-6, for example, are encouraged to 'write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president. These would be collected and redistributed at an appropriate later date by the teacher to make students accountable to their goals.'
..."What they can do to help the president."

In reading this article it looks like "helping the president" means helping the president achieve the goals of helping children: challenging students to work hard, set educational goals and take responsibility for their learning - not furthering his health care reforms or other policies.

People really think it's to push his political agenda? Or is that what some parents would like to think Obama is doing?

This is about teaching the children to be accountable & take responsibility in their education. While many of you teach that at home, many other parents to your children's classmates don't. If you're teaching it at home than I would think that it is a positive thing for ANY president to reinforce that.

SORRY: ETA:

The letters are good thing! The students will probably be encouraged to write their goals for the semester/year/subject and at an appropriate date, the teacher will bring out those letters to have students read what goals they set out for THEMSELVES - not the government, not Obama, not the left, not the right.

What is so confusing about this?

Old 09-02-2009, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,833 times
I talked to someone at Mayde Creek HS and I was told it was up to the teacher to decide whether or not they want they want their class to participate. Now my elementary student, that's another story. Waiting to hear back. It all depends on the teacher's lesson for the day if they have time for it or not. I assure you, my student will not be participating. I am sick and tired of this propaganda being shoved down our throats. I won't stand for my children being brainwashed.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:47 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I found this:

Obama's School Speach Raises Concerns - Associated Content

..."What they can do to help the president."

In reading this article it looks like "helping the president" means helping the president achieve the goals of helping children: challenging students to work hard, set educational goals and take responsibility for their learning - not furthering his health care reforms or other policies.

People really think it's to push his political agenda? Or is that what some parents would like to think Obama is doing?

This is about teaching the children to be accountable & take responsibility in their education. While many of you teach that at home, many other parents to your children's classmates don't. If you're teaching it at home than I would think that it is a positive thing for ANY president to reinforce that.
I think the fact is there's just nothing Obama can do that won't rankle the ire of certain Fox News pundits and their ilk. The amazing thing to me is regular people actually buy it. They lap up every insane diatribe like it's gospel and then run around town screaming at the top of their lungs about the sky falling. In the absence of doing bad things, and in the fear of losing more and more of their base, certain groups have resorted to outright slander to whip their constituents into a frenzy. I'm amazed at the lengths people will go to push an agenda. I'm also amazed at how gullible some people are.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:53 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katymom2 View Post
I talked to someone at Mayde Creek HS and I was told it was up to the teacher to decide whether or not they want they want their class to participate. Now my elementary student, that's another story. Waiting to hear back. It all depends on the teacher's lesson for the day if they have time for it or not. I assure you, my student will not be participating. I am sick and tired of this propaganda being shoved down our throats. I won't stand for my children being brainwashed.
If you really consider Obama telling your kid to work hard and do his homework to be propaganda, then give me your address so I can send you a dictionary for Christmas. I think what you're really saying is, "My candidate didn't win the election and my grapes got sour... all at the same time."

It's hard enough for kids to get along with their peers, but if you want to make him the odd duck, the kid who was pulled out of class because his mom didn't want him to see a video of his president, then go right ahead. However, when he comes home with a "kick me" sign on his back, don't say I didn't warn you.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:55 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,134 times
I certainly don't agree with a lot of Obama's politics, but as far as a sitting President taking time to teach kids to be responsible and educate themselves, it seems great. You can bet it'll probably be one of the most non-political speeches he'll ever give.

I think that it is terrible that the divisive politics in America would have people not want their kids to see a speech from their own President because they may disagree on health care reform or whatnot.

He's my President. I didn't vote for him. I don't support a lot of his policies. But he's still my President and its good to have the President of the United States of America teach children the value of education, especially since he's darned educated himself.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katymom2 View Post
What propaganda?

BTW - welcome to the board!

Old 09-02-2009, 02:08 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Remember when George Bush found out about 9/11? He was sitting in a classroom reading books to children! I wonder how many of the parents who are so upset about this webcast would have complained about having Bush in the classroom reading to their kids?
My thoughts exactly. And don't conservatives always want us to return to our "patriotic American values"? That would include having respect for and listening to what the sitting POTUS has to say.

My children have graduated. Frankly I was more concerned that high schools allow military recruiters on campus. Influencing high schoolers on joining the military without parental invlovement seems a bit more intrusive than respectfully listening to the POTUS encourage first graders to be good citizens.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:12 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
I certainly don't agree with a lot of Obama's politics, but as far as a sitting President taking time to teach kids to be responsible and educate themselves, it seems great. You can bet it'll probably be one of the most non-political speeches he'll ever give.

I think that it is terrible that the divisive politics in America would have people not want their kids to see a speech from their own President because they may disagree on health care reform or whatnot.

He's my President. I didn't vote for him. I don't support a lot of his policies. But he's still my President and its good to have the President of the United States of America teach children the value of education, especially since he's darned educated himself.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post

I voted for him, don't agree with all his policies but think he does America as a whole a service by talking to children about being responsible for their education - put in the time to read, do homework, pay attention in school instead of texting on the phones that mom & dad have bought them and be held accountable. As parents we work hard to give our children the best that we can and having someone like our President reinforce OUR goals to educate our children (not indoctrinate!) is a win/win as someone already said.

I really wish people would lay off the "politics" and personal hatred of Obama and see that he actually CAN do some good.

What kind of lesson does it teach our children when you pull them out of school because you don't want them to hear the president encouraging them to do well in their education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: